Amazing $1.50 DIY interconnects!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
arnoldc said:

Did you read the instructions on the packaging that tells you to heat them first before you use them? I have mine for over a year now swapping with 3 different amps, preamps, and still works like new.

the main point of me not using them is because they wear out to many time and they start a flat spot after 4 time of being used. I have used some soldered to them really well. Never had a problem soldering to them..

connectors...

I try to simply hard solder any connection I can get away with. in my stuff this usually leads to connectors only being present on the back of the amp. speaker cables are soldered to the speaker driver tabs, rcas are soldered to the back of the source, or onto the circuit board.

there is huge improvement here. I have kinda quit fussing so much with wire since I started winding my own stuff. and yeah, length really matters for me since I use semi resistive magnet wire.

cat5e though is a good compromise for alot of traits. it is also cheap annd easy.

Clark

I took apart a bunch of old VAX computer mainframe 'joiner' cables, each had 25 RG-62U mini-coax in them. I had a car axle breaking car load of them. Over 650lbs of mainframe cable. IBM's best. Made in the USA, at over $33 a foot, at 50k foot minimum purchase levels. Universities have money, I guess. Great place to get free stuff. Oh yeah, bus loads of vitamin Q's in those old HP medical gear off-casts. :)

I then removed the outer sheath, and the shielding. About 1000 feet or more of silver coated braid. With a silver coated drain wire in there too.

I foolishly threw out a garbage bag full of it. :( OVER, 1000 feet, in fact. :( :( Multiple garbage bags full in fact. I made many cables. :( :( :( :dead: :smash:

Anyway, back to the good part. The inner core, which is what I was after, had a gooish 'damping' to it,and has about a 26-28 ga. wire that is suspended in air, by a teflon strip, that is wound around it, in the center of the inner core! WOW! I says. So I wind 4 sets of four braids per speaker neg and pos. And I then added some copper 18 as a bass conductor.

One of the best, cleanest cables..I've heard, to this day. Good ole air dielectric. can't beat it.

Ah well, it's retired now, as I have to use 'available' cables to do work with.

KBK said:
I took apart a bunch of old VAX computer mainframe 'joiner' cables, each had 25 RG-62U mini-coax in them. I had a car axle breaking car load of them. Over 650lbs of mainfraime cable.

I then removed the outer sheath, and the shielding. About 1000 feet or more of silver coated braid. With a silver coated drain wire in there too.

I foolishly threw out a garbage bag full of it. :( OVER, 1000 feet, in fact. :( :( Multiple garbage bags full in fact. I made many cables. :( :( :( :dead: :smash:

Anyway, back to the good part. The inner core, which is what I was after, had a gooish 'damping' to it,and has about a 26-28 ga. wire that is suspended in air, by a teflon strip, that is wound around it, in the center of the inner core! WOW! I says. So I wind 4 sets of four braids per speaker neg and pos. And I then added some copper 18 as a bass conductor.

One of the best, cleanest cables..I've heard, to this day. Good ole air dielectric. can't beat it.

Ah well, it's retired now, as I have to use 'available' cables to do work with.

Pic's of the cable ?

I went and found the cables, they are beside me, but my camera is at work. I can take pictures with my cell phone (the Motorola razor) but my cable to download is at work..with the camera. Tomorrow.

I think I'll hook em up again. Haven't used them in nearly 8 years.

It's all I have left of that incredible stash, I shared it with everyone.

To replicate, you'd need, for a set of 15 footers,..uh.. well 15ft x 4 x 4 x 4. whatever that comes out to, in silver coated 26ga teflon rg-62U. (960ft) 1000 ft roll.

This single set of 15 foot speaker cables represents about one 20th of the cables i got for free. Some were 100 footers. at $33 a foot, US. ug. Imagine what IBM charged The local university, if the 50k minimum was $33 per! (remember, that's 24-25 coax per foot, as a bundle)

Ouch.

EDIT: Whoops! I just looked again. I used (6x) 4-wire braids, -not (4x), per neg and pos leg. So add 25%. That's 1250 feet of Silver coated 26ga Teflon RG-62U. Ug.

KBK said:
I went and found the cables, they are beside me, but my camera is at work. I can take pictures with my cell phone (the Motorola razor) but my cable to download is at work..with the camera. Tomorrow.

I think I'll hook em up again. Haven't used them in nearly 8 years.

It's all I have left of that incredible stash, I shared it with everyone.

To replicate, you'd need, for a set of 15 footers,..uh.. well 15ft x 4 x 4 x 4. whatever that comes out to, in silver coated 26ga teflon rg-62U. (960ft) 1000 ft roll.

This single set of 15 foot speaker cables represents about one 20th of the cables i got for free. Some were 100 footers. at $33 a foot, US. ug. Imagine what IBM charged The local university, if the 50k minimum was $33 per! (remember, that's 24-25 coax per foot,as a bundle)

Ouch.

I have the same phone But i'm switching to a Palm Treo :) i txt to much and its cheaper to txt than call on the tele :) I made a nice set of cables last month and still breaking them in.. so far they are my fav ones :)

I recalculated after I found them,as it seems it's about 16.5 feet per coax core, as they are 16 feet, woven and terminated. That's 1600 ft of teflon air dielectric mini RG-62/U coax.......for one 16 foot stereo pair of cables. Plus the high current conductors, which are woven into the mess, but separate from this weave.

Good thing I found the cable, I need it right now! fancy that.

Here's the 'HF' conductor group. Tough to get the camera to focus on them. That's the best out of 5-6 shots.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.