HiFi Advice sought

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pinkmouse
LOL. Okay, I may or may not be speaking from experience here but it might be a great joy to experience the valve when it is in full heat, wide open and instantly responsive to each successive input you decide to feed it and perhaps, just perhaps mind you, worth all that patience and effort:nod:

Nelson Pass
I am honored. I should tell you that I have met many men of great achievement and prominence and know that even with all their laurels and prestige, they are only men. Welcome to my initiatation thread. Feel free to tell me what I'm to expect from my upcoming Aleph 2 system audition and how a project X-variant Aleph or Zen will compare to it.

chris ma
I thought about not responding to you because your implications are sooooo ridiculous but then I thought that maybe you do deserve a good spanking after all. I am a woman and if I am lucky will be reminded of it every month for the next 20 years. Perhaps I no longer possess the absolutely crushing beauty that once blessed me, my skin is no longer the taut and smooth perfection it once was, my eyes don't shine as brightly and my protuberances don't defy gravity as they once did but I can tell you that when I 'gussie myself up' I can still buckle some knees and only an idiot could ever confuse me for anything other than female. I thought about the psychological profile of a worm like you. You must have serious trust issues conditioned into your persona by repetative failure and disappointment and must be filled with so much self doubt and self loathing that you couldn't possibly think anything wonderful could happen in your life so you immediately look to twist something playful and joyous into something sinister. If I told what I did for a living and where I worked, you would be on your knees begging me for the favor of just a glimpse into that world and as fine looking as I am, I pale in comparison to some of the things nature (and silicon) have molded on this earth and who are my personal responsibilty. If the notion that I am a gender imposter is soothing to you, or somehow makes your world 'more right' then suit yourself. What I don't appreciate are the snide and insuations that you put on my thread, so desist or I will bring you to the attention of the moderators. You are pitiable.

fdegrove
Hold on I'll make Gina an offer she can't refuse...
Unless its an offer of marriage or a generous prenup with severe penalties for not making me pregnant, I can probably refuse it.

Peter Daniel
I completely missed the 'fishiness' of your comment about Krell and tubes. I'll be more attentive next time. Sir Aluminous of Audio is quite sly, isn't he?

Gina,

Gina said:
... I like my music jumping out of the silence so I don't want to hear any trace of amplifier hiss or hum. All of the tube gear that I've heard fails miserably in this regard and even though it is spacious and beautiful in the high registers tubes that I've heard don't have the grunt on the basso that thrills my vacant center:bigeyes:

i've read Ken's reply, i agree with him.
See, many tube amp lovers have also a faible for high efficiency speakers. I cannot remember having heard any high efficiency speaker in an audio store. If you have, you have something ahead :)
But a good high efficency speaker, a self-built one, can have amazing detail resolution and it will have outstanding macro- and micro-dynamics compared to what you know. High efficiency also means : any hiss, hum, noise will be audible on a level somewhere between annoying and unbearable.

The feature you name, the music jumping out of silence, that's vital, some call that "blackness of the background" or "downward dynamic range". Now my high efficiency FR Fertin speakers (98dB/W/m) have an amazing ability to reach the amp noise thru; i really find it annoying. What shall Brett then say, with his Horn speaker system, having 10dB ofioefficency additional to that. We both have tube amps feeding them.
I have no noise problem with the amps i am currently using.
Then, good low end reproduction: tube amps can have the same good low end reproduction as SS amps, if not better.
Particularly if a properly implemented pushpull tube power amp is used, I would prefer the tube amp to anything what i have heard from Mark Levinson so far. More air, more shape, more impact. Better tone colour distinctablity.

Many DIYers with tube amps HE speakers are very happy with their stuff, they cannot all be wrong.

dice45
Yes, I definitely want a phono stage and I would like circuits in it for both MC and MM cartridges. Come to think of it, a pot to match the cartridge impedence would be a good idea too if it doesn't degrade the perfomance. The tape/record circuit should be as clean as possible. All the gain and level adjustments belong on the cassette deck and not on the preamp IMHO. I have a very nice Pro Revox so I can afford to say this but I understand the need for this kind of 'luxury' for people who record on their VCRs. As far as the concept of Audio Nirvana: you would be surprised

You should then build your preamp in a modular way: having separate circuits for MM phono and for MC phono. In the solid state realm, a circuit amplifying MC to line level is not an alltoo big challenge and noise should be not the problem.
But having a SS MC headamp and an MM-sensitive phono stage is too complex and sonically inferior. You have this interface between MM and MC and the standarized levels shold be kept. This limits design freedom needed to get the circuit sound as good as possible. Not the case with MC-sensitive phono stages.

In the tube realm MC sensitivity is hard to achieve if ever, so it is certainly not a newbie project. Too much noise. S/N ratio too bad. Better to have an MM-sesitive phono stage and either an active SS MC headamp or, instead of the headamp, an MC input transformer. I have the latter, i prefer it. But :att'n: that is going to be reaalllly expensive.

MM cartridges usually are affordable, usually nice to listen to and have nice and seducing microdynamics; they have usally a better tracking. But they are limited in detail resolution, blackness of the background, tone colour distinctability and saturation. Oh, and i have heard MMs showing a decent macrodynamics behaviour. In rare exceptions and all of them were heavily modified, the cantilever plug-in glued firmly into the body.

MC cartridges have not those limits. Detail resolution, blackness of the background, tone colour distinctability and saturation is usually top-notch.
Transients his you like a car accident.

But the bad MCs make you run and seek for hide. The good ones are cutting a big smile in your face. In you wallet they cut a hole :) a great fat big one.

Tape input/output:
i would recommend to treat input as equivalent to other line inputs and a have a decent buffer stage for the tape output, run from top of the gain control.

Gina said:

Peter Daniel
I completely missed the 'fishiness' of your comment about Krell and tubes. I'll be more attentive next time. Sir Aluminous of Audio is quite sly, isn't he?

To tell you the truth, in the beginning I missed it too and only on a second day, while reading it again I sensed the other implication. Suddenly, diy audio became more interesting.;)

right cycle already?

...calling me all those NAMES directly in this DIY forum, funny. I do not want to see this nice forum turn into a DOM's site as you most likely knew the kind since you seem to have much experience on the subject(IMO), suddently full of sugar daddy's or humble servants(IMHO).
If hifi advice you seek, fine, you are more than welcome, there is no need to use your gender influences, I am sure there are lots of seasoned fellow members will offer their help regardless. Moderators? sure but please do not tell us your biological topology, schemetics, measurements and cycles, please be considerated.
Regards,
chris ma

BTW, please kindly does it and let us know where you work and what other interests/hobbies you have.

chris ma
I should remind you that you attacked me several times with snide snipes before I responded and I did so with as much class as I could considering the nature of your attack. How would you defend the nature of your gender if it were brought into question? How would you defend the implication that you are a farce and representing yourself dishonestly to the public? I'm glad that you felt the sting of my words but believe me, I think I let you off easy. Unfortunately, you learned nothing from the experience and I find myself again having to defend myself personally. You would have been much better off with a simple "I'm sorry Gina, I was wrong about you.":whazzat:

Peter Daniel
Hmmm, well, we'll see if it comes up again;)

dice45
I know many people in the entertainment industry and have spoken to sound engineers. They have let me audition +100dB sensitivity drivers so that is where my comment about noise has its origin. It was not unfounded or based on hearsay. I should also remind you that the diy speaker thing is not my goal for now. The phono stage problems you describe seem to make the case for a SS preamp. What do you mean when you say 'headamp'? What is an input transformer? Can both MC and MM circuits exist in the same chassis with no sound comprimise? What about if I add a headphone amp too? If I wanted to build a preamp with both MM/MC circuits and a headphone amp with 6 additional line inputs what should I be looking at and what kind of parts list should I be planning? Oh, and one last question: How many amps are needed to make "one real" balanced channel output? I have heard that a real balanced line requires two amps on each channel, is this correct?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DEAL CLOSED.

Hi Gina,

Good to see you can hold your own.

Unless its an offer of marriage or a generous prenup with severe penalties for not making me pregnant, I can probably refuse it.

Hey,let's make'm all jealous as hell and pretend.
By the same token it would solve your hi-fi problem, wouldn't it?
If only I had enough interconnect to cross the Atlantic.....:rolleyes:

Cheers,:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.