Wiki Direction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Please use this thread to discuss things to do with the Wiki. It probably doesn't need it's own dedicated forum yet, but lets see how we go.

Some might say Wiki direction is an oxymoron. I think we might as well try to get <i>some</i> order at the start to make it as efficient as possible to let anyone that wants to contribute do so.

If anyone has anything to say in regards to the Wiki, or how the front page should be structured, please vent here.

I have posted a preliminary structure on the front page, but feedback and constructive criticism is of course welcome!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Great to see some people <a href="http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=WikiDiscussion">using the Wiki</a>. It really is easy as pie to use!

Perhaps a little off topic but to impart a small section of my vision...

I think it would be cool to have a link to the relevant Wiki section listed as a 'sticky thread' at the top of each particular forum's thread listing (it looks kind of like the 'announcement's that have been posted recently).

That way, people interested in one area can easily get to the Wiki section they are looking for. This is easily done... as soon as some content is written of course.

For example, AudioFreak, when you say in the <a href="http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=WikiDiscussion">Wiki Discussion</a> that you could write some stuff on various solid state bits... All that would be linked from a central page such as <a href="http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Solid+State">Solid State</a>. So a link to the Solid State Wiki page itself would appear at the top of the Solid State thread index to make it easily accesible...

Am a rambling? It's midnight...

Jason,

In my exploration of some other things to do with wiki, I found the chess game. It is being used on the andstuff site but does now apear to work here. I tried inserting a chess board in the diyaudio sandbox and it didn't seem to work. Not that this has anything to do with diy audio, just thought it would be fun to mess around with.

Mark

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Eric,

Just waking up from a deep sleep here, I realized that you and AudioFreak were actually colonising your turf by posting in the SolidState page. I had thought you were lost and moved the (admittedly unimportant) comments to the WikiDiscussion thread. :rolleyes:

Nice work on the new Wiki pages in the Solid State section you created. Now that there is some content there it makes complete sense to put a link to the section on the main page.

Chess game, what chess game? ;) Ahh found it. Wow that is cool. It appears to be very easy to make WikkiTikkiTavi do some very cool stuff. I'm all up for coding custom stuff if we can think of something usefull. Ok there is a chess game in the sandbox now...

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=SandBox

Joined 2000
Paid Member
It wouldn't be too hard to do the same kind of thing for electric circuits, thereby creating an easy way for people to create schematics / block diagrams using just a few letters...

Remember that everything is recorded in the Wiki, no entry is ever lost...

Perhaps a wikki on troubleshooting to give someone a place to look first.

I am really amazed at how great this site keeps getting. I have been a member for close to a year and I must say you've done a great Job. Cheers to you mate, you understand what it's really all about.:D

I second PassFan's comment. This site is very well run, great job and thanks for all the time you must put into it.

The schematic idea sounds really good. Seems to me it could be done pretty easily. A picture the has each components symbol on it, and there would have to be diffrent pictures for horizontal and vertical orientation. This would be simple with components that just have one in and one out, possibly a little more complicated with things like IC's, but still the same idea. Then you could have straight lines both horizontal and vertical and all possible right angles to represent wire connections. All of these pictures of course would run across the entrie width or hieght to the borders depending on thier orientation so they could meet up with the other appropriate images(wires). Hope I am still making sense, it is late here. Anyway, that is how I would go about it, but you might have a better idea. I would be willing to help out if you are busy doing other things.

Mark

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Yeah that sounds about what I was thinking. If someone else is interested in making the graphics I can certainly handle the PHP side of things.

No point doing it if people aren't going to use it, I don't know that much about the electronics side of things (Many years ago I dropped out of first year electrical engineering to do computer science ;) but it all does seem like a feasible idea...

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm interested in your feedback. Do you think the Wiki should be used to hold masses of links, or do you think people should be encouraged to add them to the <a href="http://www.diyaudio.com/links/">links section</a> of diyAudio? I can see pros and cons either way...

Leading By Example.

Hi Jason and All,
The Wiki pages stuff that I have added is intended only as a start.
I know it is only links so far, but my reasoning for this is that I figure this is an opportunity for a user editable directory of all sorts of bits of relevant information, so that the user can track down and study usefull information easily.
I figure on additions such as links to interesting and usefull DIY forum pages, as well as web page links.
Also an FAQ page in each of the sub-sections.
Jason, I think this Wiki thing is a marvellous means of collating a lot of info, and indeed it will take a while, but once everybody gets used to the concept, it will mushroom.
We just need to lay down intelligent foundations now, so that it can have an ergonomic structure.
I look forward to watching this evolve, and tell me if you think that I am on the wrong track so far.

Regards, Eric.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Eric,

Thanks for all the work you've put in, sorry I pruned it a little. Don't take it personally - I don't :D

There will be some to-ing and fro-ing initially, but once the foundations are set then then will indeed mushroom.

The only questions I had in regards to the structure were:

1) Removal of the intro.. I think we need the intro... I think it probably needs to be distilled, shorter, more compact.

2) Some of the categories didn't strike me as "main" categories - like power supplies. Sure they are relevent to amps, but not to speakers, so they should be included in the amp section.

Likewise, I think the pass labs section should probably be within the amplifer section.

So, I guess what I would like to see is as clear and neatly defined a front page as possible. If sub-sections share sections, that's cool (for example, maybe the amplifier section has "solid state" and "tubes", and within that they both share the "power supply" category). But I would like to have as much of a top down hierachy as possible.

Maybe remove solid state from the front, and replace it just with amplifiers, so the top level links simply become:

AMPLIFIERS
LOUDSPEAKERS
VIDEO PROJECTORS
DIGITAL
ANALOGUE

What do you think?

Here my suggestion to make the top level links even simpler:

Audio Electronics
Audio Acoustics
Video

From there it could be divided into sub-sections for example like this:

Audio Electronics

Amplifiers
Pass-Labs.
Solid-State
Tubes

Digital

Phono

AC-Power Line Supplies

Parts

Other

Audio Acoustics

Loudspeakers

Room Acoustics

Microphones

Video
Do not have a clue about sections

More or less (except video) this is how I arranged my own PC-Audio database. I have much more divided subsections but this may rather introduce confusion then to lead to more oversight.
I for myself always found the section "analogue" rather confusing and think the remaining (small) rest unless "phono" can better be incorporated into "other".
Though Pass-Labs falls into SS, I think it justifies an own section.

Well, perhaps I was a bit hasty, in that I didn't post here before going ahead and modifying the main page, but I only added one section... I was mainly interetested in getting my tutorial on SMD rework started.

In any case, I added a section titled "DIY Guides", and it's a place to post "How-To's" for beginners or even experienced DIYers who want to try new things... an area where you can post a tutorial on how to do "x". I've started off with the SMD Rework tutorial, which is about 1/3rd done, and I hope to have it finished with some nice photos in a few more days.

I can think of a million tutorial articles that could be written: matching transistors, finishing aluminum, how to use the I2S bus, how to test a tube, speaker cabinet construction tips, tuning speaker crossovers, how to recondition old electrolytic caps, etc etc... the list is endless.

Anyway, I figured it was a big enough category to have it's own section... Jason, if you feel it should be elsewhere, feel free to go ahead and reorganize. I figure there's going to be quite a bit of initial reorganization as the wiki starts to take shape, and it becomes more apparent what sections are getting used and which bits don't get the traffic.

I hope you like it :)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
It looks great.

I'm thinking that perhaps the present "top down" structure is the wrong way of going about things. Maybe it's better to do it "bottom up" (I don't know if I'm using the right words), and as you have done, create guides, references, etc... I mean, it can all be cross linked so it doesn't really matter.

I'm also thinking strip it back to only whatever has actual content, and let people create sections as they go...

Direct uploads of images to the wiki, no can do at the moment, best to upload them to a free webhost or send them to me and I'll upload them to http://www.diyaudio.com/files.

Jason,

at the moment there is a thread goining on concerning a diyAudio DIY TT project. Such needs a technical specification, otherwise we are discussing what we want till next year or the thing simply dies of scattered attention.

As tech specs are living documents, my idea was to use the WIKI for having the techspec avaialable and updated and not buried somewhere in the thread.

Does it make sense to open a separate wiki page within the analogue page?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.