Cable Shoot Out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To all audio fanatics in England, Essex, Cambridgeshire and Herfordshire area in particular!!!

We are looking to organise a cable shoot out - A/B comparison and evaluation on a very revealing audio system (tube amplified, all silver wired inside and outside)

The cable type in question: interconnects, mains, SPDIF, USB cables of any brand, DIY and material

You are free to bring your cables of choice to enter the competition

The cable shoot out will be based on blind tests

The date and the location is to be confirmed

Please get in touch with me if you are interested

Last edited:
What silver wires have to do with revealing audio system?

Dear DF96,

In my book a pure silver wire (generally speaking) passes a low level musical information better than a pure copper wire, ceteris paribus. My friend on the other hand believes that a copper wire alloy from the 30s or so is better at doing that. But that is not a pure copper per se.

When you say you are "puzzled", please define your understanding of "revealing" before you make a cynical statement you made in relation to silver wire. If you think that silver has nothing to do with (or at least it contributes to) revealing musical information, sorry, I cannot help you.

If you believe that there are other materials that reveal i.e. pass low level musical information better than pure silver please be kind and share your knowledge with us.

After all that is one of the reasons to organise a cable shoot out.

Last edited:
In my book a pure silver wire (generally speaking) passes a low level musical information better than a pure copper wire, ceteris paribus. My friend on the other hand believes that a copper wire alloy from the 30s or so is better at doing that. But that is not a pure copper per se.

When you say you are "puzzled", please define your understanding of "revealing" before you make a cynical statement you made in relation to silver wire. If you think that silver has nothing to do with (or at least it contributes to) revealing musical information, sorry, I cannot help you.
I didn't know that silver wire improves the transmission of latin.

You first used the word "revealing" so perhaps you should explain your understanding first. If you believe that silver wire has anything to do with "revealing musical information" then I am sorry, I can't help you. Of course, a Nobel prize may be on its way if you can show that conventional physics is totally inadequate to explain wires carrying audio signals.

There are excellent potatoes grown in the East of England (but few bananas!) so you could include them in the shoot-out. Also carrots and other root crops.

many fruits and vegetables in your comment

I didn't know that silver wire improves the transmission of latin.

You first used the word "revealing" so perhaps you should explain your understanding first. If you believe that silver wire has anything to do with "revealing musical information" then I am sorry, I can't help you. Of course, a Nobel prize may be on its way if you can show that conventional physics is totally inadequate to explain wires carrying audio signals.

There are excellent potatoes grown in the East of England (but few bananas!) so you could include them in the shoot-out. Also carrots and other root crops.

Dear DF96,

Cynical comments are not going to bring us further. You seem to have an alergic reaction to silver wires and perhaps to fruits and vegetables too.

I already did. Please re-read my last post. Revealing is transmitting low level musical information. Based on my observations, pure copper wire seem to mask more low level information relative to pure silver wires.

Just for the record, I have no intentions to go into transmission line theory debate with you or other physical and metaphysical technicalities.

It is your turn. Please define "revealing".

You used the term "revealing." Why are you asking someone else to define it?

If you guys want to have fun and spend time swapping wires around, enjoy yourselves! But please don't pretend that what you're doing is anything like a valid listening test, enjoy it for what it is: entertainment.

Dear SY,

I have had no intentions to challenge anybodies views or preconceptions. However, if someone is making cynical comments (which he or she is entitled to do), I am inclined to ask for a clarification of their position. It is easy to be cynical and skeptical and if you are, please be prepared to support your statements.

"Reveal" means to expose that which was hidden. So who hid it? If it was all the copper wires used in the studio (for both cabling and transformers) then a silver wire used in the home would need to engage the services of a Maxwell demon in order to reveal whatever the evil copper in the studio hid. Hence the Nobel prize, as nobody has yet found how to employ Maxwell demons usefully.

Just for the record, I have no intentions to go into transmission line theory debate with you or other physical and metaphysical technicalities.
Why does that not surprise me? For short audio interconnects there is no need for transmission line theory, except to demonstrate that ordinary lumped circuit theory is adequate for the task. Any sufficiently good conductor, or sufficiently linear conductor, will do - metals have the benefit of being both. I understand that Pano's tests revealed that 'sufficiently' is a broader category than many expected. I take it that you don't wish to discuss circuit theory either - specifically the theory of potential dividers?

Thank you for the clarification.

I see your point. Having stated "revealing", I never meant to go that far into the recording and mastering process. That was never a purpose of a cable shoot out and a recording is an exogenous factor to me.
I well am aware of all possible imperfections on the recording side and I am not concerned about them and even less concerned who did them and why. What I only concerned about whether these imperfections are reproduced when we play back the recording. That could be the purpose of a cable shoot out after all.

everybody is welcome

cynical

sceptical

Having reviewed the dictionary I will admit to being sceptical, but not cynical - unless of course you reveal yourself to be a maker of audio cables?

Speaking of makers of audio cables. The cable shoot out would be a great opportunity for cable makers to test their cables performance and to get a feedback from other participants.

DF96 if you have some cables you wanted to be "test driven" you are welcome to participate.

DF96 if you have some cables you wanted to be "test driven" you are welcome to participate.
Sorry. I have no cables which I wish to be "tested" in this way. I can measure capacitance, or estimate it, and check for continuity. RF penetration is a bit harder to test but the audio equipment is supposed to be relatively immune to RF anyway. I can't think of any other cable parameter which is relevant to audio - but I am sure someone will pop up and remind me of one I have forgotten.

Cable tests need to be double-blind, at least. Ideally, nobody taking part even knows which cables are being tested. My understanding is that well conducted cable tests find no difference, apart from what can be explained by circuit theory (e.g. excess capacitance from an 'audiophile' cable causing HF rolloff when used with an 'audiophile' source with very high output impedance).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.