Cable Shoot Out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sycozomatik <snip> I'm afraid it's all in your imagination.

I know that to be able to hear differences, we need to hear it in an imperfect environment or in a stressed condition... then we have to accept/assume that what we hear in this situation correlated very well with what we hear in a perfect environment (only that it is harder to hear it on the later).

Examples...

When I tuned my TV antenna orientation, I first turned down the amplification. Bad orientation will give no picture, good orientation will give picture. The difference is obvious. Then I turned up the amplification/booster...

If you listen an amp with fan at low volume, the fan disturb you so you increase the volume and you think the fan sound is gone?? It is still there...

So, record the sound through different cables with stressed environment such as:

(1) Give low level signal such that the signal is only slightly above the noise floor.

(2) Design a very strong RF interference around the cables.

I believe that the small difference we perceive in close-to-perfect condition is a linear function of the big difference we perceive in stressed condition.

BTW, the method above is similar like the method used by people like Tom Danley (IIRC) where they record the output of a speaker, play it and record the output for several iteration... Then you will be able to tell the difference after a few iterations.

Last edited:
Oh, this is going to be fun - I knew it as soon as I saw the thread title. Entertaining, and I don't have to bring any of my guns.! I know a crossover designer who swears he can hear the difference between silver and copper wire, bless his heart. Cables, connectors, capacitors - you name it - will be "heard" differently by different people. I liken audiophile hearing to wine reviews, which are almost useless because everyone's palate/taste buds are a different configuration. Let the games begin!

Last edited:
If there are not then you won't believe the results.

You mean me? If someone leaves the room during the test or changes seats I won't believe the results, my idea of trustworthy controlled listening tests would be too tedious to conduct. I once moved an overstuffed easy chair back a few feet and the difference was "dramatic", I'm with Dick Burwen on this point.

Mo' fun to just listen.

I would not go that far

Sycozomatik

To say that copper cables mask low level signals more than silver suggests a non-linear effect like diode action rather than a pure attenuation effect due to the slightly higher (read negligible) resistance of copper compared to silver. This diode effect is usually assigned to the presence of crystal boundaries in the wire, which occur in both metals equally by the way. This subject has been done to death many times and it has been experimentally proven that no such diode effect exists down to femtoamp currents and nanovolt signal levels.

I'm afraid it's all in your imagination.

Dear Gopher,

"I'm afraid it's all in your imagination." is a very provocative statement.

How would you know what is in my imagination and what is not?

Btw, the perception about superior low level musical information in pure silver conductors is not only my own perception.

It must be all imagination of other people too.

Perhaps you are in denial?

Last edited:
That everyone's sensory organs are configured slightly differently is not even the problem here, it's that over and over again tests show that most results are random (in terms of tasting or hearing differences) but influenced by the person's particular biases.

You mean me? If someone leaves the room during the test or changes seats I won't believe the results, my idea of trustworthy controlled listening tests would be too tedious to conduct. I once moved an overstuffed easy chair back a few feet and the difference was "dramatic", I'm with Dick Burwen on this point.

Mo' fun to just listen.

Yes you, who else?

Then there was the stadium I did way back in Nashville. Faith Hill was the pre-opener anthem soloist. Her crew brought in a bunch of studio guys to listen to the system. They all came back from different areas with different comments. It didn't occur to them that it took more than one loudspeaker to cover a stadium or that sound field varies with location.

She did a great effort preparing for it, did a nice job and got panned in the local paper. She did the Super Bowl that year and after the end of the anthem she raised her arm in the air, knowing it went well. (Or if you knew the inside scoop suggesting to the critic something uncomplimentary.)

Now a real tweak sets the tweeters to point at their ears while seated in the sweet spot of the dedicated listening room.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Btw, the perception about superior low level musical information in pure silver conductors is not only my own perception.

It must be all imagination of other people too.

Perhaps you are in denial?

It's very strange how these stories about different materials/constructions etc get into peoples minds. But once there they have an irrational belief. Just like UFOs, crystals etc. Sometimes its best to go with the flow and just state 'I prefer silver wire' with no claims of magic. Then no one will argue with you.

there are people who are in constant denial too

It's very strange how these stories about different materials/constructions etc get into peoples minds. But once there they have an irrational belief. Just like UFOs, crystals etc. Sometimes its best to go with the flow and just state 'I prefer silver wire' with no claims of magic. Then no one will argue with you.

Agree with you.

On the other hand, there are people who deny a lot of things, UFOs including.

Denial is also a form of belief too. Denial comes easy because there is no proof. However a lack of proof does not mean that there is no existence of a proposition as such.

So ignoring other people is open-minded, as long as the person's opinion agrees with yours? That actually sounds more like closed-mindedness.

But anyway, enjoy the get-together because that's the main thing you will get from it.
drink.gif

edit: Not believing something to be true that's neither very plausible nor backed up by evidence is not denial. It's called being rational. And no, thousands of people claiming first hand experience with being abducted by aliens is not good evidence.

Last edited:
an example of a short cut in rational thinking

So ignoring other people is open-minded, as long as the person's opinion agrees with yours? That actually sounds more like closed-mindedness.

But anyway, enjoy the get-together because that's the main thing you will get from it.
drink.gif

edit: Not believing something to be true that's neither very plausible nor backed up by evidence is not denial. It's called being rational. And no, thousands of people claiming first hand experience with being abducted by aliens is not good evidence.

The whole statement above is a bit out of context.

Why do you think I am organising a cable shoot out in the first place?

If you think that the cable shot out is about silver conductors, then you are missing the point big time.

Please go back and re-read my statements in this thread.

Last edited:
Ok, let's get back to having a get together shall we? This subject has been beaten to death on both sides and no one here is likely to say anything new. I'm not supposed to moderate in threads I am involved in so don't make me go get Thugo and Brutus to do it for me.
No more comments on the validity of another's beliefs no matter what 'evidence' you may have. Fair enough?

I am with you

Ok, let's get back to having a get together shall we? This subject has been beaten to death on both sides and no one here is likely to say anything new. I'm not supposed to moderate in threads I am involved in so don't make me go get Thugo and Brutus to do it for me.
No more comments on the validity of another's beliefs no matter what 'evidence' you may have. Fair enough?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.