Power cords and plugs (split from Beyond Ariel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snake oil! Heh, I should try that some time.
I think lots of things work under certain conditions that are unknown to either the developer or user. I have talked about how some products sounded different when assemble by a factory in a trail in my blog. Whole bunch of things including one different mains line filer X cap, stuffing distribution, and driver tuning. This led me to think about power line strips, power cables, and power connectors. Yes, at times they do make a difference, and if one really wanted to dig into the problem, it is possible to find out why. The primary issue is the capacitance and how it interacts with the device power supply. I remember once while trying out a class D amp, some guy wanted to stick in an exotic power cable, he took it out in about one minute. Is it snake oil? It is to people who have not discovered the whys and why nots. The good side is, if it works, and there is technical data explaining why it works, then it is really an improvement.

On my system, to my ears (and to others’ ears), different power cables and different plugs connected to those cables do make a prominent sonic difference. Moreover, power plugs of the same manufacturer having different metal coating have prominent different sonic signature. Power plugs of different manufacturer have prominent different sonic signature compared to power plugs from the first manufacturer, made of the (proclaimed) same material.

I’d love to hear an explanation for the above phenomenon.

On my system, to my ears (and to others’ ears), different power cables and different plugs connected to those cables do make a prominent sonic difference. Moreover, power plugs of the same manufacturer having different metal coating have prominent different sonic signature. Power plugs of different manufacturer have prominent different sonic signature compared to power plugs from the first manufacturer, made of the (proclaimed) same material.

So would I - I have yet to hear any difference from power cabling or plugs.

Each case is different depending on power supply design and how the ground is coupled. These factors effect transient supply of current. The basic assumption of line power impedance is quite standard and you can find circuit models used for testing for compliance with local standards. From this we can see the source in a reactive model, so change in capacitance between any two lines will effect the transient supply of current. So when you change any part in the power line, you are generally changing the capacitance between the lines. Cable thickness also effects transient current capability, but how dominant it is also depends on power supply design. Generally I like to work with commonly available components and make the best of them. If I have a choice, I look for power line components that have as little bends in the conduction path as possible. For fine tuning a design, the best is to have equipment normally used in Condictove noise testing to help figure things out.

To make things more complicated, when you have many equipment connected pretty much to the same wall socket, then it is possible that inter equipment ground coupling can occur, this happens often when you have unbalanced connection and the circuits do not have the grounds properly separated.

One more thing, there is no need for heavier gauge conductors than what you have in the walls. I try to make it sort of between the wall line gauges and internal line gauges no thinner than the leads of the transformer.

Last edited:
Each case is different depending on power supply design and how the ground is coupled.

All my audio setup is commercial gear. I didn’t open it up in order to see how the grounding is done. On top of that, I know that other people with other systems hear the very same differences I do.

These factors effect transient supply of current.

It doesn’t explain why power plugs of the same manufacturer, with different coatings, have different sonic signature. The sonic signature typical to each plug is there, no matter to what gear it is attached – CDP, phono stage, preamp or power amp.

Generally I like to work with commonly available components and make the best of them.

The power cords I use are made by Neotech, cut to length, and the plugs are made by Oyaide. Both are commonly available.

For fine tuning a design, the best is to have equipment normally used in Condictove noise testing to help figure things out.

My ears suffice for fine tuning.

To make things more complicated, when you have many equipment connected pretty much to the same wall socket, then it is possible that inter equipment ground coupling can occur, this happens often when you have unbalanced connection and the circuits do not have the grounds properly separated.

This isn’t the case on my system, there are 4 isolation transformers. The sonic signature of each power cord is the same, with and without isolation transformers.

One more thing, there is no need for heavier gauge conductors than what you have in the walls. I try to make it sort of between the wall line gauges and internal line gauges no thinner than the leads of the transformer.

My system is fed by a dedicated in-wall power wires, with large diameter.

Joshua, this is part of the whole shebang of little things mattering - the underlying mechanism is that all systems, irrespective of their quality and cost, generate low levels of non-linear distortion via a myriad of of cause and effect linkages. This distortion is quite audible, is the reason why systems keep sounding 'different' whenever something alters, there is a great soup of this underlying set of audible artifacts constantly present, which act as flavourings, or spices to the sound - like all complex mixtures, the end result can't be pinned down to just one thing, it's the interactions and combinations that produce a final 'flavour'.

There are two ways of dealing with this: adjust the mixture of spices for maximum 'niceness', so changing the metal surfaces of the plugs is a way of fine tuning the 'distortion taste'; or - sort out every aspect of the system that is contributing to this distortion 'broth'. Personally, I favour the latter approach because it gives me the most open vista on to what was originally recorded ...

There's a low pressure metal to metal contact there, imperfect by a very large measure. Depending upon precisely what the metals are, the pressures, how smooth the surfaces are, how long the prongs have been undisturbed there will be a contact resistance which will be not a simple resistive quantity, it will be non-linear in nature. Which will impact upon the harmonic content of noise riding on the mains line which passes through to the component power supply, and the precise shape of current pulses drawn.

A nice try.

All my audio setup is commercial gear. I didn’t open it up in order to see how the grounding is done. On top of that, I know that other people with other systems hear the very same differences I do.

It doesn’t explain why power plugs of the same manufacturer, with different coatings, have different sonic signature. The sonic signature typical to each plug is there, no matter to what gear it is attached – CDP, phono stage, preamp or power amp.

The power cords I use are made by Neotech, cut to length, and the plugs are made by Oyaide. Both are commonly available.

My ears suffice for fine tuning.

This isn’t the case on my system, there are 4 isolation transformers. The sonic signature of each power cord is the same, with and without isolation transformers.

My system is fed by a dedicated in-wall power wires, with large diameter.
I have no intent to save the world of audio.:joker:
I am just providing some examples what can cause these differences from my experience. For example, different coatings have different signature is not something I think will be investigated by me. No coating and consistent high density uniform material is what I would go for, but at this point.

In my definition, tuning process of a design must go hand in hand with listening and measurement, or you could be doing the wrong thing going in circles. For example, a manufacturer tried to sell me in on their own proprietary interconnect process, I asked them to send me a sample when applied to our interconnects, sure, the sound was different, but it also measured differently as well. It was no benefit in using the process because we had to still work on it in house as well.

Bear in mind that since each design is different, and it is necessary to look into each design in detail with the right lab equipment to improve it. Additionally, it is also possible to be mislead when improvement in one place more significantly reveal problems in others. This is why I started out with working on speakers and ended up going up the signal chain.

Please, come over to my place and hear for yourself.
Should you not hear any differences, I’d pay for the round trip.

If I had the time I would gladly do so. Visiting Israel is on my bucket list :)

I never warmed up to BE drivers (they can sound spectacular though) and find a few properly loaded and integrated compression drivers from the 70's sound just perfect, better than the new "be" - I am satisfied for now because I keep going back to the same horns and drivers (I have a room full of different horns some homemade) I tamed and integrated a couple years ago. I have improved the 200 to 600 range with a new 6" from B&C but otherwise it is just perfect for me. It only tool 20 years of messing with horns

Sadly, I have yet to hear any horns which "do it" for me. I really, REALLY want to like them, because of their SET compatibility. I've had to settle for reasonably efficient direct radiators and high power SETs. Not a bad compromise, but I know the same amplifiers would sound even better if they didn't have to deliver as much power...

There's a low pressure metal to metal contact there, imperfect by a very large measure. Depending upon precisely what the metals are, the pressures, how smooth the surfaces are, how long the prongs have been undisturbed there will be a contact resistance which will be not a simple resistive quantity, it will be non-linear in nature. Which will impact upon the harmonic content of noise riding on the mains line which passes through to the component power supply, and the precise shape of current pulses drawn.

If it "passes through the power supply", then the component needs a better power supply. An ideal power supply should behave like a battery on the load side, and behave like a resistor on the line side. A practical power supply may not quite reach this ideal, but good noise/harmonic isolation isn't that difficult to achieve. Sadly, I see a LOT of gear (both commercial and expensive and DIY) where it seems power supplies are an afterthought. It makes no sense...

Please, come over to my place and hear for yourself.
Should you not hear any differences, I’d pay for the round trip.

Relax, Joshua. What if he is deaf?? Or will pretend doesn't hear any difference?? You have to pay then, which is why this invitation is not really your intention.

I have done blind tests, much crazier than just power cable test. Differences do exist ;)

I am just providing some examples what can cause these differences from my experience. For example, different coatings have different signature is not something I think will be investigated by me. No coating and consistent high density uniform material is what I would go for, but at this point.

So, you select power plugs by the material they are made from, while I select them by their sonic signature.

BTW, power plugs of the same materials, from different manufacturers, have completely different sonic signature.

In my definition, tuning process of a design must go hand in hand with listening and measurement, or you could be doing the wrong thing going in circles.

I don’t design audio gear, I assembly audios setup from various pieces of gear, be it commercial ones or (some of them) DIY ones.

For example, a manufacturer tried to sell me in on their own proprietary interconnect process, I asked them to send me a sample when applied to our interconnects, sure, the sound was different, but it also measured differently as well. It was no benefit in using the process because we had to still work on it in house as well.

Can you tell by measuring interconnects what will be their sonic signature, no matter what pieces of gear they will be interconnecting?

My experience is that 2nd harmonic has very low audibility ... my perceptual threshold is around 1~3%, which is consistent with the old literature from the Forties. 0.5% 3rd harmonic, by itself, adds a noticeable roughness to the sound, tilting the subjective balance towards treble. The combination of 1% 2nd harmonic and 0.25% 3rd harmonic restores the tonal balance, and thickens up the sound a little.

The higher harmonics are another story. The 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th are extremely dissonant. Back in the Fifties, both D.E.L. Shorter of the BBC and the popular audio writer Crowhurst suggested weighting harmonics by either the square or cube of the order, suggestions that were not taken up due to the computational limitations of the day. Instead we got the simple THD number, which in most equipment is dominated by 2nd and 3rd harmonics, which are also the least audible.

So the real question with vacuum-tube electronics is the spectra of the distortion, not the magnitudes, unless the numbers are so high that a defect is indicated. This is where tubes differ; some have a very fast decline in upper harmonics, while others create a comb spectra, with only a very slow decline. In practice, the comb-spectra tubes may have intentionally uneven windings on the grids, so they can be used as limiters in IF strip in a tuner, or as an AGC detector.

Low-level nonlinearities always have to be carefully examined and removed if possible. They generally fall outside the scope of modeling and simulation programs because real-world electronic devices always have more complex behavior, due to manufacturing defects, than the simple nonlinear models used in sims.

Hi Lynn,
Thank you.
This conforms with my grasp of the issue.

It was the square, which is a big step in the right direction. But, it still does not account for the difference in nonlinearities that grow with level (clipping) and ones that grow as the level is reduced (crossover). For any single metric to work this level effect has to also be accounted for. Looking at the square of the harmonic levels versus signal level will pretty much tell the whole story - but who does that! (I have.)

Hi Earl Geddes,
Thank you.
It makes a lot of sense to me.

Relax, Joshua. What if he is deaf?? Or will pretend doesn't hear any difference?? You have to pay then, which is why this invitation is not really your intention.

I have done blind tests, much crazier than just power cable test. Differences do exist ;)

Hi Jay,
Thank you, I am relaxed.
I believe he isn’t deaf and he wouldn’t lie.
I’m sure that anyone will hear the differences, thus my money isn’t at risk.

So, you select power plugs by the material they are made from, while I select them by their sonic signature.

BTW, power plugs of the same materials, from different manufacturers, have completely different sonic signature.

I don’t design audio gear, I assembly audios setup from various pieces of gear, be it commercial ones or (some of them) DIY ones.

Can you tell by measuring interconnects what will be their sonic signature, no matter what pieces of gear they will be interconnecting?
No matter what I use or design, I hope there is no sonic signature. But if you put the same device in many different systems and you can hear the same sonic signature, then I think you should consider throwing it out unless you are just looking for a certain sonic signature instead of the improved fidelity.

My intent is to point out is manufacturers are very unlikely to provide all the necessary information for you to make the best match of equipment. If one manufacture has pretty consistent sound quality regardless of which model you choose, and you feel that quality is what you are looking for, then it means the company's products are ones you can trust. Otherwise, like me, just dig into the design details and figure things out.

Regarding interconnects, I think you should find your answer in my blog to understand the problem is really not the connect alone.

This is the danger with any post

This is a daft idea to hard wire the breaker.

This thread is running off the rails. It is about Ariel and its replacement. We need to get back to this.

Please Joshua you are really on the wrong thread. Start up your own thread about your subject You do not seem to be interested in building the Ariel replacement.

You are wrong about my interest in building the successors of the Ariel. Due to my interest I’m on this thread.

Anyhow I’ll try not to divert to OT.

No matter what I use or design, I hope there is no sonic signature.

Hopes are one thing, while reality may, at times, be different.

But if you put the same device in many different systems and you can hear the same sonic signature, then I think you should consider throwing it out unless you are just looking for a certain sonic signature instead of the improved fidelity.

I’m waiting to find a single piece of gear for audio system that has no sonic signature at all.
So far, I didn’t find any.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.