Power cords and plugs (split from Beyond Ariel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for info.
ASA Adjudication on Russ Andrews Accessories Ltd - Advertising Standards Authority

how are you going to have any idea of a cables impact on sound quality without some idea of what is causing the sonic signatures of different cables you believe are there. If there is a change in sound then there has to be a mechanism, and to understand their possible impact you have to know the mechanism that cause them.

Just for interest I have no connection. It might or might not be of interest.

http://www.russandrews.com/downloads/SKtest.pdf

Seriously, if I were to use a power cord as an antenna, I would make good use of the above graphs exploring radio frequencies all the way to microwaves. Actually, in a very funny way, the graphs show that the cheap cord is much more constant across the various spectra. The wierd variations in the expensive ones look very suspicious to me.

Fortunately I use only a power cord as a ....power cord.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010

I think,

when you look at the supply grid and what is connected to it, I'm surprised we don't get more problems. The harmonics from DC drives in industry, the supply cables on the grid that are very long "aerials" and varying high currents.

The Earthing that carries interference from mains filters and computers.

From the point of impact on the sound of a system having filters on the mains is OK, however how effective are the filters? Isolation transformers sound like a good idea, however you only have to look at an output transformer the know its not going to block much is it?

The question is always how can a few feet of cable make a difference when the supply comes through miles of supply cable to the house.
Not all filters seem to work some do others don't seem to make a difference.
(That's only my opinion). I don't use anything outside of my equipment.

The situation as expressed by Joshua_G must have an explanation.
Assuming its not psychoacoustic.

Regards
M. Gregg

Seriously, if I were to use a power cord as an antenna, I would make good use of the above graphs exploring radio frequencies all the way to microwaves. Actually, in a very funny way, the graphs show that the cheap cord is much more constant across the various spectra. The wierd variations in the expensive ones look very suspicious to me.

actually they can be real good speaker cables as well ;)

Thank you for sharing.

From the point of impact on the sound of a system having filters on the mains is OK, however how effective are the filters? Isolation transformers sound like a good idea, however you only have to look at an output transformer the know its not going to block much is it?

It's extremely difficult to see, or measure, tiny amounts of RF on the mains supply.
Sound-wise, the isolation transformers I have in my system are doing excellent job.

Not all filters seem to work some do others don't seem to make a difference.

Not only that not all mains filters have beneficial effect, some degrade the sound quality, probably because off chocking current variations by the clients, mainly power amps.

The situation as expressed by Joshua_G must have an explanation.

If there is a solid explanation, I don't know it.

Assuming its not psychoacoustic.

I assume nothing concerning sound systems and their evaluations.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
In which country?
It looks like it's against safety regulations in most countries.

Here is a picture, (Its not the best site its from a quick search)

It was called PME or TNCs,

Types Of Earthing Systems - Electrical Engineering Centre

Its used by the supply authority so they can reduce the number of cables to a property.

So its important to know where the noise can enter a system. ie your mains configuration from the supply authority.
Only then can you get to grips with how to filter it.
If the Earth is separate from the neutral or is it in some way connected to it! (Back at the supply transformer)
Depends on the country I guess!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.