Are you interested in LED light? - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2012, 10:34 PM   #201
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link to the Philips high bays, they must be very expensive, but are high performance, the best by today's standards, for sure.
'"CLO", i.e. constant light output" this makes sense
The link to future site works for me, just tried it out, not sure why it does not work for you.
@jitter, you have done your homework very well, thanks Rick
Old 2nd December 2012, 01:40 PM   #202
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

They definitely are expensive. The Dutch site of Philips Lighting has a 1,220 pages pdf (called "Licht Pocket 2012") available with all products on the Dutch market, including MSRP (excl. VAT).
The small version costs € 1,060, the big version € 1,670. Roughly 2 times the price of the HID highbay luminaires they're intended to replace (apparently highbay luminaires with fluorescent tubes aren't common over here, the Licht Pocket lists none, so no comparison on prices for that type).

The link works for me too, now. Probably a temporary problem.
Old 2nd December 2012, 02:07 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Stonco TBW654EB4-8 T-Bay II 6-Light T5HO Fluorescent High Bay 120-277V
$135.00USD not including the lamps
HID Equivalent600WLight Output30,000+ LumensInput Watts360
Compared to this
TCP TCPRADIANT100H 150 Watt Radiant LED Luminaire 120-277V
$999.00 USD
Lumens11090 Watts150 Watts
Old 6th December 2012, 05:24 PM   #204
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That's quite a difference and IMHO it would only be interesting to go for the LED highbay light if the price of electricity were to rise, the price of the luminaire to come down or if replacing tubes would require the rental of equipment to reach the luminaires.

By accident I stumbled on this user review of the newest generation retrofit LED lightbulb using not only blue LEDs but also red LEDs in combination with remote phosphor technology.
When the price of this one comes down, it sure looks interesting: 92 lm/W, CRI of 92.
Old 6th December 2012, 05:41 PM   #205
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Ah !
combining different colours to create a better CRI?

Would they do that if the resulting efficiency is lower than adjusting the phosphors of a blue LED for the improved CRI?
Old 6th December 2012, 06:09 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

I have not watched the video, but read that the lady took them back to Home Depot, so that tells me enough.
Putting a monochromatic red LED light through phospher, do not understand why. Ask the guy named Roger www.rogiervanderheide.com who answers questions on the Philips web site, he would know why.
FYI, pretty well all high bays require a lift or a monkey to service or they would not be called hi-bays. I am surprised that T5HO is not commonly used in Holland considering that is a Philips/OSRAM designed lamp.
Rick
Old 6th December 2012, 06:25 PM   #207
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The narrator said "a word of caution"
Does the Blue LED emit UV?
Old 6th December 2012, 06:44 PM   #208
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Possibly Blue-light_hazard?
Old 6th December 2012, 06:57 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Does the Blue LED emit UV?
No, it is a monochromatic source with a narrow BW of around 20nm. Take a look at the blue LED spec's of the spectral plots.
They are using blue LED's in the 440-460nm range, UV is in the 200-300nm range, a long way apart, that is one of the LED selling points, no UV.
Fluorescents use mercury with it's quantum peaks in the UV range, thus some bleeds through the phosphor and the glass. A FL UV lamp uses quartz, no phosphor at all, so that it does not attenuate the UV as much as regular soda lime glass would.

I used to work in fibre optics, there are international standards for light sources such as lasers, which emit highly concentrated light in the visible spectrum. By law, you as a mfg, are to label your product accordingly, if it emits light that is above certain limits. A LED does not fall into this catagory or the LED mfg's would be forced, by law, to label their products accordingly.
The wiki article does not address these light levels, just calls them HEV with no numbers. These #'s are availble but I do not have a reference to provide.

Last edited by rsavas; 6th December 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 07:44 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Error in my definition of the UV band, should be defined as in the 100-400nm range
Ultraviolet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Should have said a "FL UV sterilization lamp uses a quartz envelope"
Sorry

Last edited by rsavas; 6th December 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!