Noisy neighbor problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My next door neighbor has a car stereo with a sub-woofer. He always plays it with the trunk fully open (where the sub-woofer is) and the car doors partially open. The sound level he plays it at usually not really something I could complain about but by the time the sound reaches my room I can only hear the bass notes. I find that so irritating.

I want to build a amplified sub-woofer and some way to reverse the phase of my speaker so it would cancel out the noise from my neighbor.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the suggestions, even the humorous ones.:D

I still have my mind set on building a "Noise Cancellation" system but I'm not an engineer, I have some technical know-how like building amps and speakers but not how to design something from scratch.

Noise Cancelling Headphones are commonplace now, why not have a Noise Cancelling System?

Mouser offers parts for them: Audio Applications - Noise Cancellation

You can recognize the difference in scale between headphones being worn and the neighbor's car. You would need to capture the offending signal with a microphone, process it, and send it to a power amp and transducer. And even then, with a working model, I'd bet the results would be less than satisfactory. A bottomless R&D budget may not even be an answer. It'd probably be easier to build a pulse beam weapon that fried his electronic circuits.:)

If it's only the bass getting through and your neighbour always parks in the same place, you stand more chance of being able to do what you want, I would think. One or more microphones outside the house to pick up the offending sounds before they reach you (and which would pick up less of your cancellation signal), then probably several speakers in the 'quiet zone' to generate the cancellation. The key would be a DSP FIR filter that could be trained adaptively through feedback from a microphone placed inside the 'zone' to produce the correcting signals. Getting a sufficient quantity, and wide enough range of training examples might be a problem. You'd place the interior microphone at many locations in order to get the best overall cancellation throughout the zone. The smaller the zone, the better the results I would imagine. Or if the DSP system knew where you were, once trained it could automatically adjust to follow you around the room.

All very easy to say, of course!

I want to build a amplified sub-woofer and some way to reverse the phase of my speaker so it would cancel out the noise from my neighbor.

Buy some noise cancelling headphones. They work well with low frequencies.

A woofer system will not work because there are too many paths for sound from them to you - and the effects of room acoustics. It might work if you built a speaker into a chair headrest, though. The noise cancelling headset would be a good start on the electronics you'd need. Buy two headsets and cannibalize one for your headrest project. Use the other until you get it done;)

Just add a few hundred million to a billion euros and you'll be good to go... :D

Actually, if my memory serves me correct you can probably build a cheap handheld laser beam system, I still remember what that Acronym means "Light Amplification Stimulated (by) Emission (from) Radiation".

If you can scourge the main components from a broken PS3 or blu-ray player/burner (because of the powerful blue laser) you need some batteries of the right voltage, a switch and some sort of casing, done!

Found this video:
Make your own Burning Blue Laser Pointer | Hack N Mod

Madness:
30 watt Blue laser Array

You can scourge the parts yourself if you can't afford 5k$ :p

Edit:
You could also make a magnetic railgun extremely cheap, but that would be very lethal and therefore not something I would recommend.

Edit2:
I would build a compact small laser and aim it for the voice coils when your neighbor is playing at full volume.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.