Distortion of human hearing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the Pass Labs section there is a thread about human hearing. John Curl was describing his experiment with changing the slope of square-wave 5kHz signal from some 1us to some 5us and the audible effect of it.

I was told about experiments with addition of ultrasound signal, emitted by high-frequency el/ac. converter, to the audio band signal and audibility of this.

I would like to ask following question: what do you think about intermodulations inside human ear?

Hi,

question: what do you think about intermodulations inside human ear?

It's there ... and used everyday in hospitals and audiology centres as a standard test. It's realetively easy to measure. You cab go to your docter and say ' I want my intermodulation distortion of my ears measured', he will probably go :scratch: ... but if you tell him you got bad hearing and want a full check-up, you'll probably get your ntermodulation measured too ..

In the Netherlands many (all?) childeren get such a test, even before they can talk because it tells someting about the functioning of the inner ear without using a subjective patients feedback.

Regards,
Thijs

There is no doubt that Human Hearing suffer from Loudness Related Distortion Effects

There are well documented Loudness versus frequency curves available showing these effects being a form of Hearing Distortion in itself

At Very High Sound Levels, sensitivity to subtleties of musical sounds appear to become lost or masked

Examples are "Disco Night Clubs" or overly loud PA Systems at concerts

I feel certain that the Ear can overload, and in the process produce both Harmonic and Intermodulation Distortion, and maybe even Clipping at excessive Sound Levels

Many recent Pop Recordings are devoid of the subtleties that makes listening to recorded music pleasurable

This is likely caused by monitoring at excessive Sound Levels during the recording or mastering processes

In other words, the ears of the Recording Engineer, or Mastering Engineer, or both distorts making the final CD sound like "Crap"

It is doubtfull that the Human Ear has a Flat Frequency Response, but how do you measure it

The Fletcher-Munson Equal Loudness Contour curves suggest that the response is not flat, and the ear has the grearest sensitivity for frequencies between 3 and 4 KHz

Moreover, the sensitivity to frequencies vary with Loudness

Hearing Loss usually manifests itself at the upper frequencies first, usually due to ageing

Sometimes due to Ilness of various types

Don't know too much about this particular subject

Hearing can also be damaged by very loud Industrial Noise Levels, or instantly if you stand too close to something exploding

Nelson Pass said:
The ear has lots of mechanical faults, but don't underestimate
the neural power of the brain to interpret sound and music.
I think it's a lot more powerful than is generally given credit for.

Yes, the brain is a rather amazing interpolator, particuarly in light of all the information that the ears simply throw away and doesn't get past the peripheral nervous system.

But its being an interpolator is also one of its weaknesses because our interpolator is hard-wired to overdetect rather than underdetect which makes subjective perception limited in its usefulness when it comes to establishing objective realities.

So the brain's abilities shouldn't be overestimated either. And I'm not saying you are. But many do and even though we don't know everything, often times those things that we do know are overlooked or ignored completely.

se

I can only go by my own experience and what I've heard (no pun intended).

Firstly, I have some tinnitus, especially a tone at 6K. As a result, when my ears are tested, i can hear above 10k no worries, hell, i can even hear the 16k tone of tv flyback trannies with no problems BUT I effectively have a 25dB peak in the noisefloor at 6k that masks frequencies very close to it if they are below 25dB above my baseline threshold. so far so good (in practice i never notice the 6k tone unless it's quiet or I concentrate on it). The masking effects of one frequency to those nearby may well be similar to intermodulation distortion in their effect. Possibly more so in the next case

Secondly, hearing damage that effects the fine hairs that pick up sound can not only prevent particular tones from being recieved but can also reduce the ability of hearing to filter multiple sounds.
Although my hearing measures ok, I have hassles in an environment with more than a couple of sounds. Making out conversation when alot of other stuff is going on is difficult. This is a common problem. Intermodulation may not be the right word, I'm not sure

Thirdly, I have friends who when at rock concerts have complained about the PA system being distorted but then discovered, upon fitting earplugs, that it was actually their hearing that was being driven beyond its linear region and causing the distortion. The PA itself was largely blameless. Much more a case of clipping than intermodulation.

The upshot is, I believe a number of distortion like behaviours are at work, as well as bandpass loss and noisefloor issues.

And I didn't even go to many discos or rock concerts!

Drew

DrewP said:
Thirdly, I have friends who when at rock concerts have complained about the PA system being distorted but then discovered, upon fitting earplugs, that it was actually their hearing that was being driven beyond its linear region and causing the distortion. The PA itself was largely blameless.

No, the PA itself wasn't to blame. The blame goes to the idiots who HAD IT TURNED UP TOO DAMNED LOUD! :D

se

I can recall friends who went to an Ian Gillian (of famously loud Deep Purple fame) Gig in Adelaide at a small downstairs venue who reported that they saw tatt-covered bikers leaving the gig who were crying because it was too loud.

I just don't understand why they do it. Waste of power, waste of quality, waste of people's hearing.

Drew

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
DrewP said:
I can recall friends who went to an Ian Gillian (of famously loud Deep Purple fame) Gig in Adelaide at a small downstairs venue who reported that they saw tatt-covered bikers leaving the gig who were crying because it was too loud.

The problem with rock gigs in small venues is usually down to guitarists with all their amps turned up to full to get their particular tone, and refusing to turn them down, therefore everything else has to be increased in volume to compensate. Also smaller gigs usually have lesser quality PA systems, and in my experience you can actually run louder on a good PA system than a poor one, the distortions of a poorer system causing a higher perceived volume.

Al/ worked on a Gillan gig in the old Marquee Club in London...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: tone controls

PMA said:
;) Yes, they were too quickly abandonned, as they were often badly designed. I am sure that well-designed step-like tone controls would help us very much in tuning of different audio chains and speakers and listenning rooms.

Hi PMA. :)
I agree....without tone controls, then an active system, i.e: active cross-overs, individual power amps, with adjustable volume controls, might be the solution....one can then adjust the output from each driver in a system to suit ones taste....what do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.