Distortion of human hearing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
when i was about 10 years old, i experienced IMD in my ears once that i will never forget. i was at a 4th of July parade and the fire department went by with all of their sirens going. these were the old mechanical sirens, not the synthesized ones they use today. i can still remember the sound of the distortion in my ears as two sirens at different frequencies mixed in my ears and i could hear the difference frequency as clearly as i could hear the sirens. i only heard this while the trucks were right in front of me as if a switch had been turned on and off, and it was painful. yes there is definitely a "threshold of pain" in human hearing. every time i see the fletcher-munson curves i remember it.

To further complicate matters it shoud be stated that the ear canals length and shape cause changes in the freq. response at the Tympanic Membrane (TM, or eardrum). This is different for every person, and is different on either side of our heads.

Also, it must be stated that the Pinna's (the part of the ear that is outside of our head) shape and size also amplifiy and distort the original sound - and this is also different for ever single ear.

In other words every ear distorts the sounds differently.

What I don't understand and have never been explained by any speaker manufacurer is why do they all kill themselve to acheive rules flat response when the Flecher - Munson curves show that the ear's response isn't even close to being flat. At least you would think they would try to boost speaker response where the ear response is deficient. But high end speakers have turned in to funiture shows with sound quality lagging way behind.

Andy Bartha said:
What I don't understand and have never been explained by any speaker manufacurer is why do they all kill themselve to acheive rules flat response when the Flecher - Munson curves show that the ear's response isn't even close to being flat. At least you would think they would try to boost speaker response where the ear response is deficient. But high end speakers have turned in to funiture shows with sound quality lagging way behind.

Got to remember that the Fletcher Munson curves are OUR nominal flat response.
What we perceive with our ears and brain is our only frame of reference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.