Distortion of human hearing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mikek

Doesn't this then rather suggest that tone controls or similar, are a 'good idea' in the quest for audio nirvana?

Yes, if you are interested in listening to how something with a ruler-flat auditory response (and therefore not human) might perceive music.

Otherwise, wouldn't it be more natural to reproduce the sound accurately and let your ear/brain perceive that sound as it generally does?

Jake

One important thing: there is exactly one reproduction SPL that is correct: Either the original level for "natural" recordings or the one used for recording/mixdown for pure studio productions.

If the sound is lacking highs and lows at low listening volumes but O.K. at high SPLs, then either the frequency response at the lower and upper end of the playback system is bad or the playback level during recording/mixdown was way too high.

Regards

Charles

What I mean is if you go to a concert or listen to the master tape, you will hear those sounds through the "veil" of the frequency response shown in the whatsit curves exhibited above. If you want to accurately experience what you would have experienced at that concert or by listening in the studio, but at home, it doesn't make any sense to then start altering the frequency content of the music to compensate for "deficiences" (in your hearing. If you did you wouldn't hear what you would have heard had you been at the concert or in the studio. Your ear/brain's response is (presumably roughly) a constant in both situations, so why alter what is fed to it? If you do try to compensate, you will hear things differently for sure, but it ain't what you would have naturally experienced as a human being.

Me, I'm just glad we "hear" music the way we do, rather than, say, visualising wiggly lines. The latter might be a more accurate perception of sound waves (and I guess if we did experience sound that way we may well have developed an aesthetic for combinations and progressions of wiggly lines) but I kinda like it the way it is. It might be more accurate of course, to "listen" to music through some sophisticated oscilloscope type thing but I don't think I'm going to bother.

None of this means we shouldn't try present our "flawed" perception mechanism with the most accurate reproduction of sound it could have experienced in another time/place.

Jake

inverted commas = something of a loaded term in this context IMHO

Yes, they were too quickly abandonned, as they were often badly designed. I am sure that well-designed step-like tone controls would help us very much in tuning of different audio chains and speakers and listenning rooms.

Oh yeah, and nothing against this either. But that's different from Mikek's (jokey?) suggestion for tone controls

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Jakeh said:
Mikek

Yes, if you are interested in listening to how something with a ruler-flat auditory response (and therefore not human) might perceive music.

Otherwise, wouldn't it be more natural to reproduce the sound accurately and let your ear/brain perceive that sound as it generally does?

Jake

Well No...i want to listen to program the way i want to listen to it....and that may not necessarily mean...'ruler flat'.....

...tone controls, preferably in the digital domain, allow me to have a choice.....the absence of such limits that choice...

And that's fair enough too, but are you advocating altering the tone to compensate for the ear/brain's natural bias, or just cos you like it how you like it?

Can't argue with the latter. Can't argue with the former either if you simply want to experience what you wouldn't normally as a human being and prefer it that way, but it is hardly the argument based on "fidelity" which you appeared to be trying to make.

May have misunderstood you of course. And whatever rocks your boat rocks your boat.

Jake.

I'm with Jake

Anyone that feels the Fletcher / Munson curves effect at different listening levels has anything to do with enjoyment (or lack thereof) of music has a problem, IMVHO!

Just because the playback / ear system doesn't replicate what the real or mix / production event was should not affect one's ability to enjoy the musical content one bit - it's classic presentation over content thinking.

I'm after the substance, not the froth and not once have I ever wished I had tone controls on my system.

Andy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: I'm with Jake

ALW said:
Anyone that feels the Fletcher / Munson curves effect at different listening levels has anything to do with enjoyment (or lack thereof) of music has a problem, IMVHO!

Just because the playback / ear system doesn't replicate what the real or mix / production event was should not affect one's ability to enjoy the musical content one bit - it's classic presentation over content thinking.

I'm after the substance, not the froth and not once have I ever wished I had tone controls on my system.

Andy.

Hi Andy..:D

Here the most interesting thing I have read in a while:

http://world.std.com/~griesngr/intermod.ppt

found on

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/links.htm#Griesinger

Highlights:

-Ultrasonic capabilities / not
-How SACD doesn't contain ultrasonics in practice
-How even gross IMD might not always matter
-How the ear has its highest sensitivity at zero crossing while ignoring gross distortions elsewhere... [Class A rules hahahahaaaaaa]
-How the ear, beyond the zero crossing, essentially only hears half waves [see above hmmmpfhahaha]

etc.

All in all, good leads to clues about why so-so measuring amps can sound so good and why superb measuring amps can sound bad.

Disclaimer: No absolute truths here either

etc

She Who Must Be Obeyed........

poulkirk said:
I dont get to Rock Concerts

Been to the occasional Jazz Concert, usually good except for one where the PA was too loud

Not allowed to go to "Discos"

Wife's orders
LOL.
When Vdelli are back in town (4 weeks or so) we should take you two to the Indie bar (Scarborough) for a sonic treat in what live sound CAN be like - GOOD, real good.
A good band, good system (treated) and good desk operator can be spectacularly good in the right room/environment.
Disco sound (and music) usually sucks big time and causes ear-bleed - best avoided like the plague.
Pat (WAR Audio) informs me that he constructed and installed a high-end disco system in Subiaco that he reckons is pretty good - maybe that is worth a listen too, maybe.....

Eric.

Saw this graph while reading about digital jitter. Many people can hear between low and high jitter clocked digital gear.

This is the graph. The jitter error is the small red line deviation from the blue graph. The deviations are very small compared to the magnitude of the blue graph.

Visual appearance doesn't make sense. How come such a small deviation be so audible? What is our hearing sensitive to, more to the change (dV/dt) rather than absolute value?

Attachments

• jitter2.jpg
    jitter2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 183
Hi, PMA,

This is a pretty big error in output voltage curve. Imagine you have big drum, or double bass, and oboe with -40dB relative amplitude to double bass. You will barely see the oboe signal on oscilloscope trace, but you can hear it clearly with the double bass.
I don't get it. Do you have another example?

What I see from that graph is the deviation of red trace from blue trace, due to jitter (ignoring the pink and brown trace).
Jitter makes the signal not smooth, compared with the blue trace (ideal one). This is audible.

lumanauw said:
Saw this graph while reading about digital jitter. Many people can hear between low and high jitter clocked digital gear.

This is the graph. The jitter error is the small red line deviation from the blue graph. The deviations are very small compared to the magnitude of the blue graph.

Visual appearance doesn't make sense. How come such a small deviation be so audible? What is our hearing sensitive to, more to the change (dV/dt) rather than absolute value?

I have changed clocks and powersupplies in a couple of CD/SACD players and the improvement have been on such a level that anyone would here it.. audiophile or not.

That said without any measurements I assume the jitterlevels in those players was way below what your graph shows. As PMA writes the graph does not show a small thing going on... -40dB or thereabouts is very audible.

/Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.