Testing or Listening? :|: Split from Blowtorch II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I almost never know the original, but I have some good experience of the sound of real instruments and the human voice. I acknowledge it is unlikely that we will ever approach perfect reproduction...that does not negate the huge progress we have made on the back of solid technical principles and measurements in more closely approximating that goal. You surely can't believe we would have reached the current state without the benefit of this technical, measurement based approach?

The progress was made by both measurements and listening.
Measurements alone fail to reveal everything pertaining to sound quality of reproduction system.

BTW, how do you choose loudspeakers to you system? By price and measurements only? Or do you also listen to them?

All sensory perception is an illusion, even live music. It's not reality-in-itself that enters our minds, it's the sensory-mental reflection of reality which is perceived by our minds.

However, when it comes to reproduced music, some systems create in the listener a perception which is closer to the perception of live music, closer than other systems. AFAIK, there is no music reproduction system that creates identical perception to live music. The question is how far, or how close, a system is, compared both to live music and to other systems.

Completely agree, all sensory perception is an illusion - a recreation in the mind of some nerve impulses that we assign meaning/pleasure to.
The second para of your answer, I agree with up to your last sentence. I would restate it "The question is how much a system gives us a pleasing illusion of an imagined event." Assigning any more significance to this illusion or trying to root it in some form of measurement "reality" is self-deception.

Actually an illusion is a distortion of sensory perception that reveals the underlying mechanisms of perception. As such normal sensory perceptions are not illusions, but constructs the mind uses to integrate the senses into an inner reality that mirrors the outer reality. If this were not produced with very high fidelity, we would not have made it here to have this exchange.

Sorry, all sensory perception is a re-creation an image of reality in our minds, thus, different from reality-in-itself.

Completely agree, all sensory perception is an illusion - a recreation in the mind of some nerve impulses that we assign meaning/pleasure to.
The second para of your answer, I agree with up to your last sentence. I would restate it "The question is how much a system gives us a pleasing illusion of an imagined event." Assigning any more significance to this illusion or trying to root it in some form of measurement "reality" is self-deception.

The word "pleasing" may be misleading, at least concerning some people.
For myself, the more proximity to live music there is, the more pleasing is listening to reproduced music.
To me, there is a direct correlation between the illusion of listening to live music and the illusion of listening to reproduced music.

McGurk effect is an illusion in which the mind favors the visual stimuli and overrides the actual inputs from the auditory channels in order to resolve the visual/auditory conflict

Exactly - it's a construct of the mind! How do you know you are not listening to an illusion of your own making? There are many here who say that the McGurk effect is proof of the fallacy of sighted listening.

Again all perception is not illusion...for instance the next time you stand on a street corner and a car approaches would you step in front of it "knowing" it is an illusion? Most perception allows us to create a faithful model of reality by which we navigate it.

Perception allows the mind to create a model of reality, which for practical purposes is close enough and good enough. However, a model of reality isn't reality-in-itself. A model of reality is something that represents reality, hopefully to a good practical proximity. That model, that representation, is but a mental image in our minds.

Oh boy!
There are things in life that can be known by experience, rather than by testing.
Love is one example. Elated spirit that stems from viewing some nature views is another.

When it comes to the joy of listening to music, I choose experience and skip testings entirely.

So which is the better amplifier, the one that sounds better to you because its distortion masks other flaws in the sound system or the one that reveals them because its undistorted output accurately reproduces the input waveform?

I never said that we could dispose all measurements. All I said was that in some areas, like audio reproduction, measurement alone aren't enough - not at the present scientific knowledge.

Agreed...in such circumstances we use both toolkits and continue working to elicit those measurements that correlate with our sensory perception so that we can continue the forward progress.

The word "pleasing" may be misleading, at least concerning some people.
For myself, the more proximity to live music there is, the more pleasing is listening to reproduced music.
To me, there is a direct correlation between the illusion of listening to live music and the illusion of listening to reproduced music.

I used "pleasing" purposely because it's really impossible to remember the sonics of an event - audio memory & all that. Most people go with what they find more "pleasing" to them - some like the "presence" of the music, some like the "air" around the instruments, some like the 3D soundstage, some like "euphonic", etc. It begins to boil down to taste & taste changes. As Leonard Cohen states "I don't trust my inner feelings, inner feelings come & go"

Perception allows the mind to create a model of reality, which for practical purposes is close enough and good enough. However, a model of reality isn't reality-in-itself. A model of reality is something that represents reality, hopefully to a good practical proximity. That model, that representation, is but a mental image in our minds.

Right...but the word illusion keeps creeping in and by definition illusions are misperceptions, not proper perceptions.

Exactly - it's a construct of the mind! How do you know you are not listening to an illusion of your own making? There are many here who say that the McGurk effect is proof of the fallacy of sighted listening.

All perceived reality is but a construction of the mind.

Some people like Buddha and Shankara say that Enlightenment (according to their terminology of Enlightenment) is a direct perception of reality-in-itself. In that direct perception of reality, previous perceptions are revealed as illusions created by individuals' minds.
However this is outside the realm of present day science and probably off topic.
Yet, some present physicists use terminology akin to Buddhism and Yoga.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.