Bybee Music Rails ®

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, we have another product from the fertile mind of Jack Bybee to consider. These are supposed to filter, or clean, noise from the DC power supply rails to the circuit in order to improve performance.

Advance information is on Jack Bybee's web site, with availability (hopefully) soon. I think that it would be wise to look at the actual claimed performance for the two sets. From what I read, there is a 2 ampere and 15 ampere set for positive and negative rails. That makes four models in total.

I wonder how many 15 ampere models are required for a Krell amplifier? One of the bigger boys they sell.

This thread is for actual measurements on a sample, if that ever comes to pass. Subjective opinions without supporting measurements are for another thread, should anyone feel like opening one.

Is this thread too early? Maybe, but if the product is announced, it would be nice to be ready for it. Apparently these were debuted at CES this year, so maybe it's not too early.

I would love any manufacturer's data on these devices to be posted.

As always, discussion is about the thing or idea, not the people behind them.

-Chris

First , what is it ?
bybee_15a_chip.gif

Just a overpriced 12 pin regulator ?

Reading about it ... Bybee Music Rails Delivering unique and revolutionary quieting technology with power supply noise reduction in A/V components. Review By Wayne Donnelly

I see the familiar "buzzwords" (quantum , F/1 noise) Since it is designed as a upgrade for the "OEM market" , maybe it won't cost an arm and a leg. Who would spend $1000 for 2 modules to put in their $400 HT receiver ?

OS

Sounds like a capacitance multiplier.
Yes, but only filtering higher frequencies. It would run into trouble trying to eliminate mains ripple, without knowing the amplitude.

At least there's no claims of magic here. If it is just a half-decent active filter (which is all that's claimed), I'd expect it to give a worthwhile performance boost to badly designed "high-end" equipment.*

Trashed equipment and voided warranties could be problem, though. Hopefully it doesn't come with a "Beginner's guide to soldering" pamphlet. :D

* ...as opposed to properly engineered equipment like the Blowtorch, which already has more regulators than you can shake a stick at.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Most likely , with a HV MOSFET and a "qauntum purifier" in the circuit. :D It would be effective , they (the consumer) WOULD hear a difference. "Mucho" profit margin , $5 circuit will fetch hundreds. :eek:

OS

Vicor has something like that since the 90'ies; they call it RAM (ripple attenuator module).
Since you can't look into this module, there's no need for a BQP, is there ;)

jan didden

AVE...

For me this is another incarnation of quantum purifiers. I've seen dozens of power conditioners, both AC and DC. In all cases these were frauds with fancy names...

If your amp has good DC/DC converter, or voltage regulator, or huge bank of capacitors, then DC ripple shouldn't exceed 10-100mV. In most cases it's less than 10mV p-p. When you have +/-60V supply, then it would be 0.016% or less. It might matter if there is single stage of high gain, say 1000 or more - then even this ripple can become a problem. But I've never seen single stage of amplifier with gain of 1000...

Audiophiles are obsessed with "improving" everything. But they have no technical knowledge, so they will buy anything if it has proper advertisement. And the audiophile magazines also do their dirty work of confusing the gullible. It got to the point of absurdity when they heard the difference between power cords. They just forgot about thousand miles of cheap and crappy cables between power plant and the wall socket...

If someone here will buy this magical box of audio nirvana, please start with disassembling it - you'll probably find resistor inside...

AVE...

For me this is another incarnation of quantum purifiers. I've seen dozens of power conditioners, both AC and DC. In all cases these were frauds with fancy names...

If your amp has good DC/DC converter, or voltage regulator, or huge bank of capacitors, then DC ripple shouldn't exceed 10-100mV. In most cases it's less than 10mV p-p. When you have +/-60V supply, then it would be 0.016% or less. It might matter if there is single stage of high gain, say 1000 or more - then even this ripple can become a problem. But I've never seen single stage of amplifier with gain of 1000...

Audiophiles are obsessed with "improving" everything. But they have no technical knowledge, so they will buy anything if it has proper advertisement. And the audiophile magazines also do their dirty work of confusing the gullible. It got to the point of absurdity when they heard the difference between power cords. They just forgot about thousand miles of cheap and crappy cables between power plant and the wall socket...

If someone here will buy this magical box of audio nirvana, please start with disassembling it - you'll probably find resistor inside...

Of course there will be a resistor inside (surely at least a few). What is described is what both a RFI filter/capacitance multiplier combo would do. I already have the cap mults. and they DO reduce PSRR by 45db @ 200hz - 10khz , not much above that. The RFI part is more elusive. Those of us with PC based sources and large toriods should just look at the AC lines (even the ground) with a fast CRO ... yikes !!! In fact, our houses .. with CFL's and small SMPS's everywhere , is one big Xmitter !!

My next project is a high current RFI "killer". :D

This is funny .... "The Music Rails will not be sold to DIY hobbyists" :):):)
wonder why ???

OS

Last edited:
Picture's gone ??? I suppose it will have to "immortalized" (below).

Sure looks like 12 from here.
I guess we will never see the insides , one has to pass the interview phase just to be considered "authorized". I'm sure that would be instantly revoked and legal IP invoked if the magic rail ever appeared here. I'm surprised this did not happen with the purifier. :D
OS

Attachments

• immortal.gif
    immortal.gif
    71.4 KB · Views: 564
Those who would buy these would not be dissuaded by even an objective "debunking". They would believe "the experts" , not the DIY'ers. Most high end relies on ignorance as the business model. So even if presented with the hard evidence , most high end consumers would go with the "hype" and reviewers opinion. So , yes ... debating the product gives more free advertising to people that make purchases based on faith.

OS

PS - I guess we should be thankful we are even allowed to debunk high-end at DIYA , as it is at least a percentage of the enthusiast cash flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.