Votes: 88 44.4%
  • R2R

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since I resisted the conversion to CD until 1991, most of my stuff is still on LP. But most of my listening is on CD. And when CDs first hit it big, my LP collection skyrocketed at $1.99 each. Even stuff that I figured that I'd never find in a million years.

I'm still resisting the conversion to computer-based formats.

Wow - that's surprising to me. I didn't imagine 'computer based' was so popular.
I'm thinking of buying a Korg MR-2000 to store & play all my often listened to material.
It's the only digital player I like the design and operation of, but if someone has suggestions of similar products, I'd be glad to know of them.
http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?pd=417

- 1st. Vinyl records, by far.

Nothing beats the nice feel of looking at the very big cover, the shine of the black vinyl, and the fact that you need technical/care skills to extract the best sound of it.

- 2nd CDs.

- A very distant 3rd: MP3. I hate having to backup files. And i'm a software engineer!! LPs on a shelf stay far safer than MP3 files on a hard drive.

Basically i first get the MP3s to see if i like a recording. If it's pre-1990s, i get it on LP. Otherwise i get it on CD.

I have ripped my vinyl, cassettes, R2Rs, CD's, VHS and DVD's

They CD's started out as .WAV's, then progressed to Lame 320 MP3's, and for the last few years, FLAC.

Most of the Vinyl and R2R are captured in Soundforge as 96/24 or 192 raw data.

I will download music, if I like it I go buy the CD or record (if available), rip it, and put the CD in a box in the garage. The vinyl obviously does not go out to the garage, but in a crate in my closet. I take hi-res pictures of the boxes of CD's so I can look and see what's in each box without having to open them.

I have backups of my backups.

RAID 5 array for the primary music server with a complete backup every so often to another machine with lots of space. Also an external 3TB 4 drive JBOD array backup that I use to move everything to the other computer - it sits on a shelf the rest of the time.

I have been collecting and ripping my music and videos forever. If I lost it all I would not (could not) recreate it.

Although my most frequently used source is still an akai RTR.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.