getting my laptop operational?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the Local Area Connection says "network cable unplugged".

-indicating a connection issue. If your going right to the modem you'll prob need a crossover cable as OZmike said.

OH, MOST OF THE MODEMS I'VE RUN INTO CANNOT USE USB AND ETHERNET SIMULTANEOUSLY. ... I'm not shouting. I'm just trying to exemplify that you should have a modem with a working ethernet port so you can use a router...

It's booted back up,
the wireless was disabled and the LAN was unplugged.
Clicked on wireless and it re-enabled itself.

If the DSL thingy (it's labelled "BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router") that I'm calling a router, describes itself as a two computer link to broadband and it also talks about a gaming link then I would expect it to take both these PCs to the ISP.

But I still don't know if the storm took out the ethernet link, either in the PC or in the DSL.

Well, that is a bit of a mislabeling. It is not a true router, but a DSL modem with some router-like features. The specs for the device say that you CAN use the ethernet and USB at the same time. You cannot do this with most cable modems that have both jacks.

Andrew, when there is an Ethernet cable plugged in from the laptop to the DSL modem, does is still say "network connection unplugged"?

Hi,
is post19 telling me that I can avoid the direct connection to the router and go from laptop to desktop to router to ISP?

This would get rid of the problem of a router fault.

But if the fault is in the desktop, I would need an alternative cable entry. USB? But will my win98 operating system on the desktop allow usb?

theAnonymous1 said:
Well, that is a bit of a mislabeling. It is not a true router, but a DSL modem with some router-like features. The specs for the device say that you CAN use the ethernet and USB at the same time. You cannot do this with most cable modems that have both jacks.

Andrew, when there is an Ethernet cable plugged in from the laptop to the DSL modem, does is still say "network connection unplugged"?
yes, "Network cable unplugged"

Did you go and look up the spec sheet?

Andrew, you can do what is called "ICS", Internet Connection Sharing.

Laptop ethernet ---> PC ethernet (via crossover cable) ---> PC USB ---> DSL Modem/Router.

I don't recommend this route for someone not familiar with this stuff, not to mention I don't think win98 supports it.

EDIT: If it still says network cable unplugged when it is in fact plugged in then either the cable or the modem/router is faulty.

what if I connect the laptop to the desktop via the ethernet RJ45 cable?

I've just noticed that the ethernet cable has only two pins connected at each RJ45 plug.

I'll try to find another RJ45 cable.

I intend changing the desktop over to XP but only after I get the laptop working with all the software I need on it.

edit,
they're not RJ45. The spare RJ45 have 6pins.
These dsl plugs are 4pin with two of them blank.

Ok,
what I think you are saying is that what I have won't work in it's present state.

Shipping from the States is not on. Thanks for the offer.

I'll see if BT will finally believe me and send a replacement ADSL router.

Unless, one of you sees a solution.

Can I temporarily connect the laptop to the router/modem to get the isp link working using the USB connection?

Well hold on now, you can't be sure there is a problem with the modem as you don't have a proper ethernet cable.

There is no reason why the USB shouldn't work. You might have to restart the modem after plugging it into the laptop.

BTW, whats wrong with shipping from the states? The time it will take or the fact the package will be tainted by Imperialism?

EDIT: You probably didn't know you can login to your modem/router to check/change settings. Once you have a connection to the device, type 192.168.1.1 in your browser. This should bring you to prompt for the username/password...

Defaults...

Username: admin
Password: admin

theAnonymous1 said:
Well hold on now, you can't be sure there is a problem with the modem as you don't have a proper ethernet cable.

There is no reason why the USB shouldn't work. You might have to restart the modem after plugging it into the laptop.

BTW, whats wrong with shipping from the states? The time it will take or the fact the package will be tainted by Imperialism?
I've got the Tosh manual out.

The cable they included fits the modem socket and also fits the socket in the router.

There is another LAN JACK that is a proper RJ45. My house RJ45 fit this socket but the other end of the cable has nothing matching that I can fit into.

Damn them advertising script writers.
This laptop is supposed to have 1394 (firewire) capability, but the port is blanked off!

Absolutely nothing wrong with equipment from the States. Being a Scotsman, it's the cost I always consider.

theAnonymous1 said:
EDIT: You probably didn't know you can login to your modem/router to check/change settings. Once you have a connection to the device, type 192.168.1.1 in your browser. This should bring you to prompt for the username/password...

Defaults...

Username: admin
Password: admin
Do I use a standard usb to connect the two together?
I tried that this morning but nothing happened.
I thought USB could be hot plugged.
What do I do to make the link live?

theAnonymous1 said:
Do you mean RJ11? The RJ11 is the dial-up modem.
the telephone plug is the wide one with the latch on the side.
The RJ45 is a bit narrower and latched on the bottom.
My ethernet plug is narrower still, again latched on the bottom.
Now that I have stronger glasses on I can see 6pin locations in this little ethernet plug, 4blank and 2pins (not as described earlier).
the RJ45 has 8pins, all filled.
the telephone plug has 6locations, 4filled and the two outer ones are blank.
Are we now on the same wavelength?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.