Der EE DE-5000 true LCR (100kHz)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at EBay vendors and this De5000 goes for as little as 72$ (free shipping) But these cheaper ones come with ..nothing.. but the unit itself. NO tl21 leads.
Is it clever or useful to buy the cheaper sans leads version.. or self defeating?

I find the leads very useful if that's what you are asking. Except for the guard lead which is useless for me.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

A couple of months ago, I and a couple of others bought the DE-5000 with a TL-21, TL-22 and TL-23 for $75.00 free shipping to US. Shipping took 3-4 days over a weekend. Works great for the price. Ebay vendor was madstone1974 in Japan. He now is asking $105 for the same package but I have seen his price fluctuating up and down. Maybe just need to wait and look occasionally.

Maybe just need to wait and look occasionally.
If you think that demand will go down you are a dreamer.

Because this thread is monitored by many, it would be best pricing comments to stay outside of it.

I would love to talk for technical tips and solutions rather a 20$ difference.
This meter was priced 400$ in USA, even half price is bargain, and at 1/4 is a gift from Santa.

"How many years old feedback do you need ?"

Sorry, I saw the July 2014 start date of this thread and figured (incorrectly) that was when it was purchased. With nearly two years in operation, it looks like a reliable meter. Now I will have find a reason to justify buying another LCR meter. :D

"How many years old feedback do you need ?"

Sorry, I saw the July 2014 start date of this thread and figured (incorrectly) that was when it was purchased. With nearly two years in operation, it looks like a reliable meter. Now I will have find a reason to justify buying another LCR meter. :D

Actually you are correct. Mine is relatively new. Kiriakos has had one of these for several years. It seems to be a very nice reliable meter.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

A couple of months ago, I and a couple of others bought the DE-5000 with a TL-21, TL-22 and TL-23 for $75.00 free shipping to US. Shipping took 3-4 days over a weekend. Works great for the price. Ebay vendor was madstone1974 in Japan. He now is asking $105 for the same package but I have seen his price fluctuating up and down. Maybe just need to wait and look occasionally.

Great thank you All,
Wasn't sure if the test leads were specific.
Doesn't seem explicitly mentioned, anywhere that I read.
There is an equipped version for 83$ +10$ postage. Seems a fair price.
Not as good as yours though :)
Yess ebay prices fluctuate. Possibly more so as the unit design ages further.
Likely a new design is in the works.. always is.
However 'waiting' is a double edged sword.

This is a great HH unit. But has anyone tried aftermarket Kelvin clips on the DE5000? The crocs that come with it leave a lot to be desired.

I know of a few people that have built their own custom clips using the box from the alligator clips. If I remember correctly, the meter can tolerate lead lengths up to one meter in length (or something like that) before it gets too long for the meter to handle.

Interesting. I was considering the B&K TL08C clips or copy.

At the price of those, I think you are much better off building your own.

Pick up some shielded 2-conductor cable (one for each clamp) some cheap kelvin clamps and you are done. Access to the circuit board is VERY easy in the accessories, as I showed in my teardown. It is very easy to remove the old connector and add your new setup, having it look stock.

At the price of those, I think you are much better off building your own.

Pick up some shielded 2-conductor cable (one for each clamp) some cheap kelvin clamps and you are done. Access to the circuit board is VERY easy in the accessories, as I showed in my teardown. It is very easy to remove the old connector and add your new setup, having it look stock.

Hi Pedro. Sorry for my ignorance and lazieness but could you give us a link ;)?

Regards

Hi Pedro. Sorry for my ignorance and lazieness but could you give us a link ;)?

Regards
Not at all laziness, I have searched for a while and can't find a link showing the construction for the life of me.

The copies are a bit cheaper but diy is an option. Issue is finding the correct shielded wires. Also, what about the guard?

The shield is the guard.

ix3Ms9x.jpg

You can see in this image how the wires are connected. The braided shield is connected to the guard, while each of the lines connects to its respective wires. It is VERY easy to modify and even has a location on the board for strain relief. I have REALLY been meaning to make some custom Kelvin connectors for this device. Maybe I will bump that up on the list for the near future.

First tried after market kelvin connectors (the well known Chinese). These are way too long for the EE DE-5000.
Then I did build my own set of clips. Used the original box and attached 25cm HQ UTP to a new small box which connects to two short leads with hook clips. Works excellent (also for small caps and inductors) for more than a year now.

Last edited:
First tried after market kelvin connectors (the well known Chinese). These are way too long for the EE DE-5000.
Then I did build my own set of clips. Used the original box and attached 25cm HQ UTP to a new small box which connects to two short leads with hook clips. Works excellent (also for small caps and inductors) for more than a year now.

Did the kelvin clips connect to the guard line? The DE-5000 REQUIRES the guard to be attached to the line shield for longer lengths, otherwise it will error out.

The shield of the kelvin clips was connected to the guard. I have the white Chinese 4x1m shielded with BNC connectors and kelvin clamps which connect to a metal interface box, then with 25cm shielded UTP to the EE-5000. That is a lot of metal on the guard. The result was less precise than my short lead hook version and tended to give an error in setup. So I kept my small home-brew clips. I use the Chinese kelvin leads with my bench DMM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.