Der EE DE-5000 true LCR (100kHz)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you people have a schema on the IR/Usb thingie. I saw some references at eevblog but I would need more info. The feeling was that it would be easy to diy?. Just a few parts and one should be done.
Regards

Found this: https://bitbucket.org/jmedved/agir/wiki/Home

Actually for an Agilent U1173A but I wonder if it's going to do what it is suppose to do even for an Der EE...:D

Regards

What would be the better meter for electronics?
Regards

I would characterize as better meter for electronics anything that comes with at least 20000 counts as display resolution and a lower mV range from the usual 0-600mV.
Agilent U127X series comes close to these requirements due it 0-30mV lowest range.
Additionally I would say that in our times in which pulses is what we have to deal with, DMM sampling as five measurements per second is a must have.

Regarding DEREE IR/USB packages, yes I have too of those.
And I would suggest you to get the real thing, DE-5000 software it is remarkable.
Other than it features, it can transform a regular computer monitor to look as bench-top LCR.

DE-208A DMM is among my Top favorites, is like an FLUKE 87V restricted to 6000 counts, and I have it in my primary (portable toolbox).

Found this: https://bitbucket.org/jmedved/agir/wiki/Home

Actually for an Agilent U1173A but I wonder if it's going to do what it is suppose to do even for an Der EE...:D

Regards

I am aware that this link is a scam, it is made so to advertise an PCB maker, therefore there is not much for DIY other than soldering.
Why paying for PCB and parts and getting in trouble about soldering? when the real things is just at 40$.(Agilent IR/USB)

I am aware that this link is a scam, it is made so to advertise an PCB maker, therefore there is not much for DIY other than soldering.
Why paying for PCB and parts and getting in trouble about soldering? when the real things is just at 40$.(Agilent IR/USB)

Ok, thanks for the warning...
Yes I have seen Der EE IR/Usb kits as well around 40$ but after shipping and taxes they are up to 80$ :(

Would just be fun to have :) but not necessary.

Regards

I would characterize as better meter for electronics anything that comes with at least 20000 counts as display resolution and a lower mV range from the usual 0-600mV.
Agilent U127X series comes close to these requirements due it 0-30mV lowest range.
Additionally I would say that in our times in which pulses is what we have to deal with, DMM sampling as five measurements per second is a must have.

Regarding DEREE IR/USB packages, yes I have too of those.
And I would suggest you to get the real thing, DE-5000 software it is remarkable.
Other than it features, it can transform a regular computer monitor to look as bench-top LCR.

DE-208A DMM is among my Top favorites, is like an FLUKE 87V restricted to 6000 counts, and I have it in my primary (portable toolbox).

Getting a bit off topic but since I'm a multimeter *****, I love seeing the insides of new meters. Finally found some internal pics you took a few years ago. Pretty good meter, quite nice input protection. Not quite to the Brymen level but really close. Looks like some of Brymen's older meters in quality and part selection (the only difference being the fuse selection). In particuar those grey spark gaps (I think) are the same as a Brymen made Greenlee I sold on here a few months ago. Definitely a good quality meter.

These days all DMM are assembled by the same SMT pick and place machine. :)

DE-208A comes with a bit of Japanese culture regarding it range switch ( Yokogawa) and exterior design.
It is a meter build at high quality standards so to serve worldwide, the only mistake of DEREE was that they had overestimate it street price.

BRYMEN and DEREE are the top of the cream in Taiwan (and west minded), I was very lucky in my beginning as reviewer, about approaching them first.

Every company has a marketing strategy.
The ones which has select to serve the budget metes market I am avoiding them, and they avoid me too. ;)

Those days I am a member in a Chinese test and measurement forum, I get easily exited when discovering a new promising instrument (a new oscilloscope for example), they do not trust the product release documents, but they hope to be all true.
They start to develop in their character strict product selection criteria.
And the bottom line is that I like that too, as consumers we must become strict in our selections, so anything unworthy to stay unsold.
This is the best attack and defense of a highly informed consumer.

How about the topline Uni-T? The ut71e, it seems to have most bells and whistles one could wish for...

Regards

The ut71e has its place. If you plan on only using it for bench work. Then it is fine, albeit continuity is a slow as molasses rolling down a hill in a snowstorm. Any mains work, look elsewhere. Uni-T makes solid meters with acceptable to good build quality but unfortunately Chinese input protection (which means almost none). The UT61E has better input protection than the Ut71e and faster continuity. Though it has its own set of issues. Kiriakos, coming from an industrial electrician perspective, will have input protection tantamount to anything else. He's not wrong in this matter. I tend to take a more balanced approach. I have two UT61E and love them for what they are. I also have a few flukes that I use for high energy stuff. If you can only afford one meter then go for a safe one. If you have a couple then you can get the best ones for your needs.

Right :)

On wishlist is ability to measure frequency and temperature somewhat accurate. Datalogging would be nice...

Well, I decided to give the ut71e a chance to be used on the bench. Highvoltage stuff is going to be handled by the Fluke. I understand that it has its pros and cons. Hopefully some of the fixes for ut61e are applicable.

Regards

Last edited:
Right :)

On wishlist is ability to measure frequency and temperature somewhat accurate. Datalogging would be nice...

Regards

Yes the story gets back to U1272A or U1273A, because they can measure frequency, starting at about 30% of their 0-30mV range.
The pricing range it does sound like bad news for audiophiles who seek accuracy and a sensitive frequency measuring meter, but this is not my fault. :)

High sensitivity in mV is an area for Oscilloscopes, DMM has their limits.

Last edited:
Yes the story gets back to U1272A or U1273A, because they can measure frequency, starting at about 30% of their 0-30mV range.
The pricing range it does sound like bad news for audiophiles who seek accuracy and a sensitive frequency measuring meter, but this is not my fault. :)

High sensitivity in mV is an area for Oscilloscopes, DMM has their limits.

Yes, a bit over budget... And yes a new scope is next but it will have to wait into fall before I can afford one.

Regards

I know it is a bit above price range at $250 but TME.EU has the Brymen BM869S (the S edition updates the safety to conform to the newest safety regulations) should do everything you want and way more. It is:

• Class IV 1000V
  • TrueRMS AC, TrueRMS AC+DC and DC - so you can easily break a signal down into its AC and DC components
  • 50,000/500,000 counts in DCV :D
  • Dual displays (so you can show the AC and DC components of a signal at the same time or Hz at the same time as a reading)
  • Frequency down to 100mV (yeah it isn't the 10mV that the Agilent can do but it is $150+ cheaper)
  • Dual temperature capable
  • 5x update rate (60x update rate for the bar graph)
  • dBm with adjustable impedence
  • 0.02% accuracy

I think this is the best and closest one that fits your budget. I will look for some others to see if I cant find all of the features you are looking for but under your budget from someone else.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.