EMU 1212M for measurements - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2014, 11:00 PM   #1
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default EMU 1212M for measurements

I just got an EMU 1212M for measurement purposes because it uses the AK5394A ADC. Here are some essential as received measurements.

They are all made in balanced mode at +4 level setting.

The performance is quite good but not as good as I get from the demo board.

The Third harmonic is exceptionally high. That is also high on the DAC as well. My guess is the odd JRC2058 opamps. They look like they are from an earlier technology node (to use the IC industry jargon).

Next step (after CES) will be to replace the JRC opamps with LME49720's to match what I'm using on the demo board. I'll document the process.

The drivers seem problematic. The Win XP system was really stable before I installed the card and has been locking up intermittently ever since. For my purposes the DSP manager interface is also very much in the way. Learning curve ahead.
Attached Images
File Type: png EMU Selftest.PNG (68.0 KB, 519 views)
File Type: png EMU + 590AR.PNG (69.7 KB, 504 views)
File Type: png EMU + KH4400.PNG (72.4 KB, 498 views)
Old 6th January 2014, 12:43 AM   #2
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
I just got an EMU 1212M for measurement purposes because it uses the AK5394A ADC. Here are some essential as received measurements.

The Third harmonic is exceptionally high. That is also high on the DAC as well. My guess is the odd JRC2058 opamps. They look like they are from an earlier technology node (to use the IC industry jargon).

Next step (after CES) will be to replace the JRC opamps with LME49720's to match what I'm using on the demo board. I'll document the process.

The drivers seem problematic. The Win XP system was really stable before I installed the card and has been locking up intermittently ever since. For my purposes the DSP manager interface is also very much in the way. Learning curve ahead.

I think the drivers are going to drive you nuts. I had to put the 1212 that Dick sent me away. I just couldn't take anymore. It's designed for musical recording and is very protected. Couldn't even change sample rate settings from within ARTA or any other software.
Old 6th January 2014, 02:01 AM   #3
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

What about trying it on Asio4all free drivers? It may lose a few dB of performance, but maybe a solution.
Old 6th January 2014, 05:38 AM   #4
DDB is offline DDB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Are you using the ASIO drivers for this?
Old 6th January 2014, 07:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm using the windows drivers. The software does not support ASIO.

The system crashes spontaneously since I installed the card and drivers. I be building a fresh system in a few weeks and I'll be able to see if its a software conflict then.
Old 6th January 2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Is it the Liberty Praxis that does not let you select Asio? What about checking with ARTA also?
Attached Images
File Type: png Snap 2014-01-06 at 09.45.04.png (67.7 KB, 449 views)
Old 6th January 2014, 08:10 AM   #7
JensH is online now JensH  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I bought an EMU 1616M a couple of years ago. After a few days I returned it because my otherwise very stable PC became unstable and crashed several times.
Old 6th January 2014, 02:03 PM   #8
DDB is offline DDB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm using the windows drivers. The software does not support ASIO.

The system crashes spontaneously since I installed the card and drivers. I be building a fresh system in a few weeks and I'll be able to see if its a software conflict then.
I used ASIO in mine, they were built into the EMU driver.
Old 6th January 2014, 05:23 PM   #9
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davada View Post
I think the drivers are going to drive you nuts. I had to put the 1212 that Dick sent me away. I just couldn't it take anymore. It's designed for musical recording and is very protected. Couldn't even change sample rate settings from within ARTA or any other software.
Now you know why you got the 1212. :-) Happy to know it isn't just Me.

I have developed a zero tolerance for stuff like this.

P-n-P and auto-config etc is the name of the game for me. That is what appealed to me about the QA400. BUt, it too was about to be thrown in the garbage can because it didn't work correctly --- until the people who make it responded and quickly fixed the software and now it is P-n-P for me without negative operational issues. Now, if they would just make one with a better ADC.

-RM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 6th January 2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 6th January 2014, 06:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Wimp!
I refuse to be defeated by simple computer stuff. Although the fixes may be worse than the problem. Its not my main computer at all so I won't be too concerned if it crashes every few days. However if Linux support is good I may switch.

Hide this!Advertise here!