Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator - Page 181 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2013, 10:56 PM   #1801
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Insides of Shibasoku oscillator

I pulled my other Shibasoku oscillator, 590AR, from storage and took a photo of its insides. This is the top view. The bottom has the frequency and level networks. Both this the AG15 and AG16 are remote controllable. This older one uses a parallel interface, the newer ones GPIB, otherwise they are identical.

There are several opamps, all TL07X types. There is also an LM710CH (The can) and an MC1495. I suspect the AGC uses the small metal can device 2SK15 (??). The tree trimmers are +1 dB, 0 dB and -1 dB for some function. My guess would be a steering for the AGC so the active part doesn't need much range to stabilize it. The supplies are +/-30V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 590AR.jpg (121.3 KB, 275 views)

Last edited by 1audio; 2nd March 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:00 PM   #1802
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very nice.
What's the op amp in the can?
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:29 PM   #1803
diyAudio Member

Default Shibasoku 725 insides

And here is why you won't want to duplicate this thing.

There are a jillion PCB's and each have a bazillion relays. When Richard gets the manual calibration should be simple since the key nodes and adjustments are clearly marked in good English.

The detector board is actually the input board. The device in the middle is a dual Jfet I think. The relays handle the input attenuation.

Design was an enormous undertaking but its still in the lineup 30 years later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 725 cover off.jpg (106.0 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg 725 tuning board.jpg (116.0 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 725 detector board.jpg (184.3 KB, 266 views)
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:48 AM   #1804
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=1audio;3393204]And here is why you won't want to duplicate this thing.

There are a jillion PCB's and each have a bazillion relays. When Richard gets the manual calibration should be simple since the key nodes and adjustments are clearly marked in good English.

The detector board is actually the input board. The device in the middle is a dual Jfet I think. The relays handle the input attenuation.

Design was an enormous undertaking but its still in the lineup 30 years later.[/QUOTE

Considering all the board artwork was done by hand too.
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:46 PM   #1805
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
I pulled my other Shibasoku oscillator, 590AR, from storage and took a photo of its insides. This is the top view. The bottom has the frequency and level networks. Both this the AG15 and AG16 are remote controllable. This older one uses a parallel interface, the newer ones GPIB, otherwise they are identical.

There are several opamps, all TL07X types. There is also an LM710CH (The can) and an MC1495. I suspect the AGC uses the small metal can device 2SK15 (??). The tree trimmers are +1 dB, 0 dB and -1 dB for some function. My guess would be a steering for the AGC so the active part doesn't need much range to stabilize it. The supplies are +/-30V.

It appears the oscillator(s) are all descrete transistors design.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:20 AM   #1806
diyAudio Member

I just posted the first rev on the QA400 interface here: QuantAsylum QA400 We should probably move discussions about the QA400 there.
Old 5th March 2013, 06:06 AM   #1807
diyAudio Member

Attached are some harmonic pictures of 4 ultra-low distortion oscillators. The noise from the oscillators is between 140-150dB (no averaging used -- eg FFT). The ShibaSoku 725 notch shows itself at -155-160dB. All Harmonics are below -130, worst case harmonics. Typically -140 or more. The AG16 looks like it has higher harmonics but its just the noise floor is 10dB lowe than the others... and fairly flat (not rising at lower freq end).
Top left is Viktor's 1Khz, Top right KH 4402B, Bottom left is HP 339A, and bottom right is AG16. All excellent. However the HP339A cannot keep its lowest thd at other freqs as well as the others without individual fine tuning.... Thx-RNMarsh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Osc harmonics.jpg (948.9 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by RNMarsh; 5th March 2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Ultra-low distortion sources for testing -
Old 5th March 2013, 02:20 PM   #1808
diyAudio Member

Default EMU 0204 mods

Hi Guys,

I've done some mods to the EMU 0204 to improve dynamic range and lower the measurement noise floor. I started a new thread for this because others have commented to me that it's too difficult to plow through hundreds of post to find things. As it is for the work on the 339A.

Have a look.

EMU0204 mods for FFT measurements

Cheers.
Old 5th March 2013, 03:26 PM   #1809
diyAudio Member

Great, Davada --- More spin-off's. Demians work can also apply to EMu or others. I am interested in both. I think the HP339A is done. It is what it is. Can be useful to many. But we would need a notch filter and FFT. All together, with a low cost ultra-pure oscillator source, a DIY'er can measure without breaking the bank. Thus, these spin-off forums. Some already before us.

We might summarize where to find the How-To changes for the 339A... which line #'s. Then, it wont be so arduous for others as it was for us to do it first for them.

And, I have reached my goal of at least -140 THD+N or better but thru other hardware and more $$. I wouldnt have got to that point without first exploring the 339A which lead to my own spin-off directions.

Thx all -- Richard Marsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 5th March 2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: HP 339A spin-off subjects --
Old 5th March 2013, 03:35 PM   #1810
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

I discovered this project last night and I think it can be of extreme interest here:
An Audio T.H.D. Analyser

I don't think the author follows this forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!