Milling machine needs more power!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chipco3434 said:
No, those are for hooking up agricultural equipment when you don't know the correct length... you can remove a segment.

You can find cut belts in the yellow pages under Power Transmission or Bearings

Actually, they're also used extensively in woodworking table saws. They're as cowanrg describes, they're supposed to reduce vibration and allow better transfer of power. They reduce vibration due to less memory and stiffness in the belt, I believe.

I would say to do as chipco3434 suggested and start with the V belt, and if that doesn't help things significantly, go with the link belts, as I'm assuming the V belt would be cheaper than order a link belt. (Espeically when ordering through someplace like Rockler) Of course, you could check with where ever you get the V belt and see if they also sell link belts, even if they're not intended for use in milling machines, they might be even cheaper yet!

Oh, and glad to hear you've reduced the problem!

Schaef said:

Actually, they're also used extensively in woodworking table saws. They're as cowanrg describes, they're supposed to reduce vibration and allow better transfer of power. They reduce vibration due to less memory and stiffness in the belt, I believe.

I would say to do as chipco3434 suggested and start with the V belt, and if that doesn't help things significantly, go with the link belts, as I'm assuming the V belt would be cheaper than order a link belt. (Espeically when ordering through someplace like Rockler) Of course, you could check with where ever you get the V belt and see if they also sell link belts, even if they're not intended for use in milling machines, they might be even cheaper yet!

Oh, and glad to hear you've reduced the problem!

thats kinda what i was thinking, but i didnt want to say anything. i looked for some cut v-belts, but no luck yet. ive just been trying hardware stores, etc. ill check harder in a week or so.

i have a nice update on my machine. i just realized that my entire shop is on the same outlet. given that i have a few flourescent lights hanging from the ceiling, a stereo, and a few other things, no wonder the machine trips the breaker. its not getting full power.

right next to the shop is a closet. i have some outlets in there that arent used at all. so, i will just run an extension cord from those outlets, and run the machine all by itself. and the cnc controller, power supply and computer will be on their own circuit, separated from the machine. that just might work.

pinkmouse said:
Well now you're up to full power, do you fancy knocking out a few of these for us? :)

that case is wimpy compared to the picture i hope to post this week :)

i am getting my case back from the machinist this week. i didnt do it, but i did all the design and cad drawings though. the sides are 3/4" thick, and every plate is milled to 1/1000". it fits together PERFECTLY.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.