Analyser recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
However you will need to fabricate interface cables for amps so you don't fry your soundcard.

Would screened cables mono 1/4" to Banana be sufficient or will I need to incorporate a voltage protection circuit as well?

I'd love to get the QA401 (I was bidding on a QA400 before prices went silly) but the price point has moved out of the home hobbyist range from the '$200' figure I've often seen. At this point, I can't justify the expense for occasional use.

I now have an RTX6001, and I love it. Audio performance is great, and the accurate signal level switches are soooo much easier to work with than the variable "volume pots".

I'd love to get one but $1000USD+ is definitely not going to get signed off ;-) it does look very good though, and if I can somehow justify it commercially later on then it looks like a good option.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Given what they are worth, why not keep it and use it? It does tell you a ton of information and a THD meter doesn't come anywhere close.

I have a HP 35665A, something like yours, and an RTX-6001. I still use my HP 339A for certain things.

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There was stuff on the RMAA site on getting RMAA working with The EMU stuff I think. In any case start by making sure the card is working both record and playback in windows. Then try ASIO. RMAA usually doesn't crash things but I noticed the latest version is buggy. Try an older version once you know the card itself is working.

I repair, service & sell used Audio Precision test system and APIB USB Interface adapters to work with XP through Win10. I get many systems in my shop that were from EBay and many were used in a production line and do require many new parts so they can meet the SPECIFICATIONS. The cost is typical investment is $2500 or more and this typical leaves the hobbyist to use other equipment. The QA401 and other analyzers are good alternative to the hobbyist who typically have limited budgets. Duke
Duke, so if I understand correctly, I buy a "used" AP systems on fleaBay for for $2500 USD. Then I find out scheisse, it doesn't work right. Dummy me, bought something that had it's life wrung out of it in a production environment. So I send it off to get fixed and want it in SPECIFICATION. why else have one, right? From what you say, your time and effort can easily exceed $2500UDS to fix it so runs right and meets SPECIFICATION and will last a bit.

And so that good deal on fleabay...and repairs...plus shipping, extra stuff runs over $5000USD pretty quickly.

O course you know I concur, being a hobbiest, $5000USD plus for one piece of gear, yeah looking for other equipment.

Thanks Duke, sometimes I just have to run it by me again to make sure that I understand.

Cheers,

There was stuff on the RMAA site on getting RMAA working with The EMU stuff I think. In any case start by making sure the card is working both record and playback in windows. Then try ASIO. RMAA usually doesn't crash things but I noticed the latest version is buggy. Try an older version once you know the card itself is working.

Thanks, I think the 0204 is hooped.. I tried even playing a test sound to it from the control panel and it hung the computer..

Hi Sync
Not all EBay systems are bad. You just need to know that you may not get a SUPER GREAT WORKING SYSTEM. The systems that Marshall (I service his systems) & I sell are good working units. The systems that come from a production environment usually have relay, fan, and connector problems. My biggest repair was well under $1000. Some of the systems that I have serviced were poorly repaired patch jobs.
Duke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.