DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yep, me too. But the IBM model 029 keypunch could be "programmed" (via a punched card of course!) to punch consecutive serial numbers in columns 73-80. Then if you dropped your deck of cards, just pop it in the (mechanical) card sorter machine and voila, everything is back in the original order.

Shrewd operators told the 029 to leave column 80 blank, so that future program edits could insert up to 8 new cards between previously-adjacent cards.

I also got to use a (1940s vintage) IBM model 026 keypunch very briefly -- the one that punched oval holes instead of rectangular holes. It was terrible.

Last edited:
Edmond, maybe it is there on the menu, but can DiAna read (and analyze!) .wav files? In other words, if I save a test signal out of a DUT, or out of LTspice, as .wav, can I analyze that .wav with DiAna?
Jan

Hi Jan.

Sure, it's certainly possible. The file format fully complies with the basic wav specifications. The only restriction is that the file comprises a continuous sine wave (distorted or not) and is long enough (several cycles) in order to settle things like amplitude and frequency. Whether LTspice files are long enough, I don't know. Just have a try.

Just select the wav file under "File->Import wav File", select "Read from file" under "Mode". Now, optionally, you can inpect the file by clicking on "Monitor". If it looks okay, press "Distortion". Maybe you have to specify the frequency (approximately) in advance in the Preference->Distortion menu.

If the file contains music, then DiAna will fail miserably, of course. ;)

Success.

Cheers, E.

PS: You can change the timebase and sensitivity of the monitor function by using the cursor keys.

BREAKING NEWS

[...]
I'm able to choose my ASIO soundcards and there is no error message, but what is the next step to start any measurements (can't find a button or menu item to do so). I do notice that the "Mode->Full-duplex (ADC/DAC)" option is grey out though.

OK I made some progress. The half duplex was a bit confusing.
[...]
As several people have complained about the "half duplex" annoyance, hassle and confusion, I've decided to relax the limitations on the demo version by enabling the full duplex mode. From now on just select "Full-duplex (ADC/DAC)" under the "Mode" button. In other words, it's not necessary any longer to save respectively retrieve data from disk. Note this was part of my "crippling policy", but it appears too user unfriendly and clumsy. Also note that saving and reading wav files is still possible with new version of DiAna. I've uploaded file and has version nr 1.47.5
Regarding hints to get started, that too has been updated on my website.
See next post for more modifications.

Cheers, E.

Attachments

• diana full duplex.jpg
    diana full duplex.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Another annoyance were the error messages during start-up. These were mainly caused by fake ASIO drivers. To be more specific, they were caused by remnants and traces in the registry of deleted drivers. During start-up, DiAna looks for ASIO drivers in the registry and, of course, fake drivers will trigger an error msg. For those not knowing what exactly was going on (me included), that was rather confusing. This error msg (see 1st pic) has been removed now, and instead of that, fake drivers are marked as Corrupted driver in the list of ASIO drivers under Preferences-> Sound card (see 2nd pic). Only when selecting that one will give an error msg (see 3rd pic).

A few other error and fatal messages will still appear during start-up, like memory error or no driver found at all.

Cheers, E.

Attachments

• ASIO error 1.jpg
    ASIO error 1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 160
  • asio error 2.jpg
    asio error 2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 163
  • asio error 3.jpg
    asio error 3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 158
Joined 2017
Paid Member
That's how I started: reading hex hex code form a instruction maps and typing them on a Teletex. See one of these maps below (Motorola MC6809). Perhaps old geezers under us still remember those good old days. :)

Cheers, E.

When I started programing in 80's, few rich people had an assembler. Many poor people like me were human assembler for Z80. I still have memory that "C3" is jump,"CD" is subroutine call and "C9" is ret. Now, of course, I use C compiler but love to use assembler for many functions. I sometimes count machine cycle of ARM microprocessor as I nostalgically remember my young age.

Putting OP codes on Paper Tape to run diagnostics on a RCA Spectra 70 thru a Teletype console in the 60's was so wonderful so we did not have to type in so many special test on the 64 bit model 55 mainframe. Now having a 1T USB micro hard drive in a package the size of a Hersey's chocolate bar seems so much like fantasy, it is hard to grapple with it. What will it look like in another 50 years?

Hi Edmond,
Could you update the first post with a summary of all the features, highlighting anything unique and differentiating that DiAna Pro version offers when compared to other free and commercial analyzer software.
thanks
jp
Hi JP,

I'm well aware that such a list would be very helpful and useful, but at the moment I don't have it yet. I'm afraid that will be next year, as tomorrow I'm away for at least one weak. Sorry.

Cheers, E.