Computer-Based Distortion Analyzers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An oscillator THD down to 0.0005% is something old for today?:eek:

Yes :)

If it will be for full frequency range - it will be nice, but for a fixed frequency - not.

For example, Victor's oscillator:
Ultra Low Distortion 0 00001 1kHz Sine Generator Assembled and Tested PCB | eBay

this is much simple, and THD is 50(!) times better.
Schematic is not a "top secret", if to "DIY" it is not more expensive then TurnerAudio's design.

What is really worth in Victor's design - is 35v power. I'm really tired to charge every time 5x9V NiMH batteries :(

If it will be for full frequency range - it will be nice, but for a fixed frequency - not.

Ultra Low Distortion 0 00001 1kHz Sine Generator Assembled and Tested PCB | eBay

Schematic is not a "top secret", if to "DIY" it is not more expensive then TurnerAudio's design.

What is really worth in Victor's design - is 35v power. I'm really tired to charge every time 5x9V NiMH batteries :(
That is really good!

Joined 2004
Paid Member

I use 4 disposable 9V batteries and I hacked the resistor in series into a current source using an LM317. I can get 10 hours at least from it, probably more. But you don't need to leave it on.

I use 4 disposable 9V batteries and I hacked the resistor in series into a current source using an LM317. I can get 10 hours at least from it, probably more. But you don't need to leave it on.

I know this solution, but disposable batteries are too expensive, so I use rechargeable, which have the lower loaded voltage (~8v) and higher open circuit after the charging (~10.5v). I use simple linear regulator (lm317).

It is a difference - to use oscillator for periodically testing, or to develop ADC and run oscillator continuously.
Sometimes I run it from the Lab.Power Supply (btw - have not seen the difference).

You should still replace the series resistors current limiter with an LM317 strapped as a current source. It will extend the battery life considerably.

Yes, you are right. Which value of these resistors you use?
The current is 30-35mA?

I should modify it, now I use 317 as 34.5v voltage source, but I think to replace the batteries with AC power supply with small transformer.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is how I set up the oscillators: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equi...n-audio-range-oscillator-357.html#post3905078 I have three so a bench supply would be impractical and I wanted to really isolate from the line since even a little bit of leakage could be indistinguishable from supply problems in the DUT. Three supplies and defective batteries from eBay pushed me into the disposable batteries. Not shown was bypassing the onboard resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.