Help in picking an solderstation. Weller WHS 40D?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't had experience of that particular model. I have just handed on an old Weller TCP series iron and station which works well on conventional through hole boards with leaded components.

I have just bought a Metcal MX5000 series which in my limited experience is best for surface mount though expensive. I prefer then to the Hakko products that I have used (936 I think).

I wasn't able to find the Weller WHS 40D on the cooperhandtools.com web site though it is listed by Farnell, the data sheet is dated available June 2003. I would be slightly concerned about availability of different sized and also spare tips.

I found a Weller WP25 portable iron on the ground at the ATM, cleaned out the socket between the heater and the handle, and it works great on tin/lead solder. I did put a 7/32" screwdriver tip on it to better conduct the heat to the work versus the pointy one. It is a little small for big 4 gang can caps from sixties tube equipment, and too cold for ROHS compliant solder. I'm suspicious of the orange $100 Weller workstation. I have an orange 80W Weller iron I got at Home depot and the handle gets too hot and the heat doesn't flow to the tip properly.

Parts Express sells the Stahl Tools STSSVT soldering station for $15! Just a little bit less expensive than your FX-888. Wattage of the Stahl iron is 58W. I've had this Stahl model for about 1/2 year now and like it a lot; it has one annoying feature which is that the plastic holder for the iron press-fit into the metallic coil tends to come loose.

IMHO, Radio Shack gets a lot of undeserved criticism and is under appreciated. I've been using their "digital" soldering station for a 8-9 months now, and think it's everything I could ask for in a soldering station. I paid $80.00 in a store, but it's on sale on-line for $70.00.
Digital Soldering Station : Soldering tools & supplies | RadioShack.com
Its only flaw is that the tip that comes with it is not the one I choose for most soldering jobs. They sell a lot of different tips on line. Most are $5.00.

Incidentally, I burned through two Stahl tools TCSS stations in about a year.:mad:

The most important thing for me is:
that the temp is the same that you have adjusted it to, then the iron-handle should not be warm,
The cable from the iron to the station should be really light and flexible, not heavy and hard/stiff.

A cheap solderingiron on Ebay with the above requierments would be nice!

Like the Aoyue 936:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-Aoyue-...740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c19a6954

Last edited:
After 40+ years, my trusted, low-wattage Weller soldering pencil finally died. Actually, it didn't die, but my favorite tip for PCB work has finally worn to a nub. I tried unscrewing it, but alas 40 years of heat has frozen it solid. I don't think there's any hope. So....

I've always wanted to upgrade to a soldering station, and after reading several threads, I decided on the Hakko FX-888. From the pictures the pencil/soldering part of it looks to be similar in size to my Weller pencil. Over the years I've purchased other so-called pencils, but the heating element part of the pencil always stuck out too far, making it un-wieldy for delicate IC pads - at least for me. The Weller had a much shorter element and cork around the handle making it perfect for small PCB work. You could actually hold it like a pencil. I'm hoping the Hakko will perform similarly - with adjustable temperature to boot! It arrives from Amazon next week. Hope I'm happy with it.

Rick

I just purchased from ebay a "4 IN 1 X-TRONIC 9020-XTS HOT AIR REWORK SOLDERING IRON STATION FUME EXTRACTOR" with digital readouts. Regular price $328.80 but was selling as a buy it now for $189.80. That was a savings of 42 % off (139.00 savings) plus they thru in tips for both the iron and the heat gun & extra heating elements for both heat gun and solder iron. also they included a 5 inch desk top magnifier with fluorescent light. It was a super deal. I almost bought just a solder station with iron only for 132.00.

All thinking of buying one should check it out. I guess it is still on sale?

Forgot some features to the "4 IN 1 X-TRONIC 9020-XTS HOT AIR REWORK SOLDERING IRON STATION FUME EXTRACTOR" in my post.

The X-TRONIC TM Model #9020-XTS includes a Static Safe, Ergonomic Vacuum Pick-up Tool to handle SMT Components with 2 Vacuum Probes & 3 Silicone Vacuum Cups. Also Included is 5 Open Cell Microspore Filters for the units air intake system. It also comes with 10 Assorted X-Tronic Soldering Tips (one is already inserted into the Soldering Iron).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.