Help in picking an solderstation. Weller WHS 40D?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After 40+ years, my trusted, low-wattage Weller soldering pencil finally died. Actually, it didn't die, but my favorite tip for PCB work has finally worn to a nub. I tried unscrewing it, but alas 40 years of heat has frozen it solid. I don't think there's any hope. So....

I've always wanted to upgrade to a soldering station, and after reading several threads, I decided on the Hakko FX-888. From the pictures the pencil/soldering part of it looks to be similar in size to my Weller pencil. Over the years I've purchased other so-called pencils, but the heating element part of the pencil always stuck out too far, making it un-wieldy for delicate IC pads - at least for me. The Weller had a much shorter element and cork around the handle making it perfect for small PCB work. You could actually hold it like a pencil. I'm hoping the Hakko will perform similarly - with adjustable temperature to boot! It arrives from Amazon next week. Hope I'm happy with it.

Rick
'
Rick, try soaking the tip (up to the threaded joint) in "Blaster" PB penetrating catylist for a day sprayed into a sharpe cap... you'll use a bit but it worked on my 30yr old Archer pencil iron.

Last edited:
IMHO, Radio Shack gets a lot of undeserved criticism and is under appreciated. I've been using their "digital" soldering station for a 8-9 months now, and think it's everything I could ask for in a soldering station. I paid $80.00 in a store, but it's on sale on-line for $70.00.
Digital Soldering Station : Soldering tools & supplies | RadioShack.com
Its only flaw is that the tip that comes with it is not the one I choose for most soldering jobs. They sell a lot of different tips on line. Most are $5.00. . . .
I recently started using one of these due to circumstances beyond my control. I was skeptical at first but it's at least adequate for the tasks where I've used it (a few through-hole PWB's and some wiring harnesses involving a variety of Molex, DIN, etc, connectors).

I can't find replacement tips locally. Between shipping costs and lack of detailed information in the online "catalog" I don't want to risk buying tips I can't use. Can tips from any of the other popular brands be used in this soldering station?

Dale

I just can't decide on a station to replace my 20+ year old Weller TCP

My short list in order of current preference is ...

1. Xytronics lf600
2 hakko 888 or the next model up
3 Metcal PS 900
4 or this guy ...3 Hot Tools SMD SOLDERING Station: 1 Hot air and 2 Irons NEW!! | power tools | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

The issue is the price to performance ratio.

You appear to get a lot of features and gizmos in the cheaper Chinese / Taiwanese stations and ironically, the feature set decreases as the price increases.

I just can't figure out if the $90 -100 dollar stations with loads of features are close to the brand name stations in terms of performance any reliability.

Anyone have any first hand experience with Xytronics - this looks like a well engineered product at a reasonable cost but doesn't seem to have many fans on DIYAudio or EEVBlog

My issue with the FX888D is it doesn't have an auto power off mode but I could get off the couch and build an outboard relay timer circuit...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.