ANDY-FV005 10.4" Toshiba @ 250W HQI-TS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Question to the teacher

Hey Slize,

What a great job man !!!! it is a very pro design ... congratulations :)

I have a question for you of an old topic you posted in this forum that I found trying to solve my projection size. Its about the solution you did to solve your short focal length using an eye glass lens, quere is my situation:

I made my projector with a 5" PS1 LCD and used the fresnels and triplet of an 3M ohp, both fresnels are 330mm FL and the triplet is 330mm FL too. The room where I will use my projector just allow me a throw distance of 2.4mts between the triplet and the screen so that give me a 32" image. In your summary post you mentioned this:

"...because when there is room between the ohp lense and the eyeglass the focal length decreases and that means the picture goes wider.."

My intention is to decrease the focal lenght of my 330mm triplet up to 180mm so that will give me a 60" or 65" image with your metod:

- Triplet lens with a fl of 330 mm = 0.33 m = (1/0.33) 3.03 dioptrien
- My object size should be 1.524 m (diagonal)
- My throw distance is 2.4 mts

so my ideal lens would have an fl of 180 mm = 0.18 m = 5.5 dp

that means my adiotnal lens must have 5.5 - 3.03 = + 2.47 dp

Can you tell me if these maths are right?
Can the result be a positive dp(+ 2.47 dp?
The lens must be for a farsightly or short-sighted person?

Thanks in advance !!

As he stated his screen was "diagonal 1,90m (75"), 1,50m (60") wide and 1,10 (43") height", I guess you ask about his Toshiba 10,4" lcd.
From the pdf official specsheet (can't find a link to it in english right now, only in german, so no worries...).
Outline: 241.5W, 171.9H, 5.5D.
Active area 210.432W, 157.824H.
In mm of course. I've got the toshiba 10.4" stripped next room so I can check it if you want.

sorry i didn´t read it. So it is 74" diagonal screen;

74/10,4=7,1 magnification

focal=34,5

then lcd-triplet distance (D) should be 1/34,5=1/D+1/7,1D
D=39,3cm so 7,1x39,3=280cm throw moreless.

Now, 39,3cm and 10,4" lcd has 37 degrees field angle from the triplet. Its a very good setup, mean the lens is working on good contitions. I believe you have very good focus in full image.

That is a fine looking projector. I think anyone would be happy with that in their house. Good Job!

I like the use of curves and balance to the shape. Very artistic. Also very efficient use of space. I think its the best ive seen. Have a well deserved cold one dude :drink:

I had to come back for a second look. I love that symmetry. This inspires us to a new level in design. My box now seems a joke and I will have to come up with something new. Its funny how we focus on the engineering and forget aesthetics. Thanks for sharing this.

Other sites eat your heart out!

WOW WOW WOW

This looks great!
Inside and out.
If it was not working it would still be great :)

I have never seen projector that I really liked commercial or not.
Until now.

I bet even my wife would let me have it in our living room ;)

Great work, Great design!

Now just make sure that B&O people don't see it.

Cheers!

Thank you all for your real nice comments.

I had several vid night sessions and and it is still a lot of fun to watch...

now with the NBA finals comming up i'm really looking forward to that...

@gguertin145

i said the guys in the german diy forum are at it; but they have no news about that yet

plus they're now at a 15.4" Wide Screen Display with HDTV resolution (1900x1080), but still no news either...

They are trying to get informations about the two displays from a korean seller, but that guy doesn't answer...

DUDE!

Fantactic work, sir! I especially love the tongue-in-cheek Qualia elements.

I've been considering a panel like yours as well; great to see it up and working for someone else.

Design-wise, I was very impressed by the internal segregation of light and image engines, and especially your cooling methods.

Also, kudos for posting the daylight results.

Can't wait to see your next one!

total cost 450 bucks

LCD 180 bucks in an online shop in switzerland
(http://byho.com/ishop/)

for this projector i needed like 8 months to build, because i am a full time student and don't have much time...

the developement to this stage was something like 4 years... in this 4 years i have built 7 projectors until this "final step", which i consider the final stage worth to present :)

today i wouldn't build another one, i would try to get a cheap dlp projector modded with a 150W MH bulb... this is what some guys tried in the german forum and some succeeded...

that could be a next project, but i think at the earliest when this beamer is damaged or something and would not be worth to repair anymore...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.