diy projector from the Philippines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hertz,

If i were to go with this bulb (150w MHN doulble ended lamp by Philips) and use a reflector will i end up with a much brighter picture then using the single ended 250 MH?

Another thing, i am not trying to get the best results possible, like yours, mainly i am building this is because i want to achieve better results then using the fresnel + tv scam idea. I also can't afford expensive high quality lcds, and parts. :D I'm only a 16 year old here, i dont have a lot of money :) :). But hopefully i will get the results that i am looking for...........a clear picture.

If i have anymore questions Hertz, i hope that i can ask you!

TheNoodPoopler,

Based on my experience, i say yes, a 150w double ended bulb with good reflector and condenser will end up much brighter than a mogul 250w bulb w/o a reflector and condenser.

Instead of buying 150w double ended, I suggest you buy the smaller bulb with G12 base like Trev used. With good reflector and condenser will end up same brightness as 250w double ended bulb. I suggest also that you read his thread to know more about this single ended bulb with G12 base.

Just ask questions anytime. I won't charge you nor anyone else. You can do it.Age doesn't matter here.

Hertz

Hertz,

What if i were to use a 250w double ended light, it is one of those worklights that are yellow and have a handle over top of it. I can pick one up for $40.00, and it is very bright, has a reflector and safety glass, and best of all it just plugs right into a normal 120v plug. Im thinking of just trying it to see how it will turn out. WEll tell me what you think on this.

TheNoodpoopler,,

Well if you try it and things don't work out right, it still has a very high resale value and u can use it for emergency lights. if it work out right, then u have a dual purpose light engine.

Try to check the
1. lumens output-
2. color temperaure
3 color rendering index

A 150w double ended metal halide + ballast+ignitor+capacitor can be had for $40 here in my country. Did you check the prices already in your area?

hertz

TheNoodPoopler,

Take note of the following

150w double ended metal halide with reflector and condenser is much better than 250w MH with mogul base w/o reflector and condenser.

150w single ended MH with G12 base with parabolic reflector and condenser may have the same brightness as Osram 250w HQI-ts. Please ask Trev for confirmation.

The things is you must take into account the money spent to pay for electric bills. Its going to be alot when comparing 150w and 250w bulb. And also heat will be an issue with higher wattage.

hertz

Once i receive my Proxima, I will then start looking into what to get for a light engine. My step-dad has one of those work lights and i will just use that to see if it is good to use as a light engine.
A 150w double ended metal halide + ballast+ignitor+capacitor can be had for $40 here in my country. Did you check the prices already in your area?
I havnt looked into it yet, because i havnt had enough time to go down and see what there is. But i will look into other bulbs, and other types of possible light engines. Hopefully my Proxima comes soon! Cant wait to start!

Thanks Blue_aerox.

I hope you finished your project soon. We are all waiting of your good results. May the lady ( Shania Twain ) in the attached image gives you inspiration.

(Pls. whisper to me if she is too old or too young for you!)

Attachments

• outline5 001.jpg
    outline5 001.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 776
Yes, i would like to buy the lenses from you. I looked at Parksquare over the weekend. They don't know what a fresnel lens is. I saw a store named Projector world at SM Cyberzone, they don't know those parts either.

LCD, i don't think a 15" is for me. I don't want a big cabinet since the condo i'll be getting has a very small space. But i might need the VGA input since we only have a PC and no TV in our house. No DVD or other components either. All my home entertainment is coursed thru the PC.

I'll just read on in the threads on computation of distances of lens and lcd and stuff, but frankly, this is really getting me dizzy. Although mey naiintindihan naman ako kahit paano.

Thanks for the help.

Did some more reading. So the LCD you're using is from a disassembled LCD monitor? Hmmm, i guess i could use the bigger screen since my PC's NVidia FX5600 can handle very high resolutions. But the concern of the space of a big cabinet still remains.

About the OSRAM hqi-ts bulb. Is this a very big bulb? And it's MH i presume. If OSRAM Philippines only has 4 bulbs left. What about the time that i need bulb replacement, it would be difficult to find one in the future. I was hoping those bulbs easily bought at ACE Hardware or something.

Sorry Hertz ha, i might be trying to assemble a projector that is not as high tech as yours. A budget of 30,000 is probably as high as i can go. But the lower the better of course.

Might be that i'll eventually settle for a lower res (non XGA ) screen.

Balance ko na lang in the next few weeks between my needs, small space, high res, and stuff.

:) hi hertz pare... sorry to cut ur topic..just wanna if u have any idea about this asbestos replacement? i tried to buy here in hong kong but it seems they dont understand me...baka may idea ka man...any specific name or brand name? do u have pics to show?

hi fonzki pare, welcome to the forum:) ...hope to see some pics of ur projector soon...lol:D by d way i'm from kamuning,QC...

fonski,

My bulb is a small double ended bulb. Your budget is enough to have a pj like mine. Just add a little amount for condenser later on. Bulb will last 10,000 hours or about 3-5years. I wont worry about the bulb because i can source it abroad. Maybe when the time comes to replace your bulb, there is a much better bulb technology by then.

My lcd is not a dismantled monitor. Its lcd arrrive here with frame and backlight so you just have to remove the frame and backlight. Just email me if you want prices for each part so you can check if your budget is enough. I am using svga lcd not xga.

edwinfriend,

Sorry i am not aware of asbestos replacement because i have no use for it as of now.

Soory guys for the late reply because i was out of town for 3 days.

Hertz

Hertz, you seem to be an expert. And while your getting hit with a barrage of questions I was wondering if you could help me out to.

Im in about the same boat as Havok, I mainly want one for dvd viewing and some gaming. I am a ok at building its the wires and stuff that mess me over, but I have foiund a couple people who can help me with that part.

I was hoping if you could suggest s format or something for me. My price range, is as low as possible with getting decent results. And preferably no higher than 370cdn. Also, I can get the frame/box made for free, if it can be constructed from sheet metal.

Thanks, Chad

hi all!

hertzblaster said:
After a month of tweaking, I am now very happy with my results. Thank you guys from these forum who unselfishly shared their knowledge and experience.

aou 8.4 in panel
unsplit fresnel lens
250w hqi-ts osram
condenser
soup laddle reflector
gilkson projection lens

hertz, that's the first posting on this thread. there seems to be a previous thread that would show details of your project as it started, progressed and reached this stage. where can i find that? i'm hoping to embark on an inexpensive projector diy project, and this thread seems to lead me to where i should get started.

thanks for any help from anyone.

-mike

Fonski,

My final cabinet measurement is 9x10x36 inches.

The biggest problem with laptop lcd is to find the controller board so that you can connect it to your desktop computer. You will have to search for compatible board and you might end up with a more expensive set-up because this controller board is even more expensive than buying lcd with controller board already.

I would suggest to buy the liliput in hongkong for $280 fob or like my lcd for $320 fob taiwan and it will be at your doorstep in one or two days.

I am sure that you build your own desktop computer and has experience about static discharge that can damage your computer parts.

Those ribbon cable connected to lcd are so fragile and will easily disconnect to lcd when mishandled. No way that you csn repait this other send it abroad for repair and it gonna cost alot.

You mentioned about your limited budget, i would like to suggest to proceed very carefully. Try practicing first with light engine and optics to expereince how they work or how you can maximize the light output before buying the lcd. Use transparencies to project your image like an OHP.

The biggest challenge that you will face later on is how to have a bright image, bright enough to watch movies or play games and some spare brightness to watch those dvds that are unusually have dark scene. Just remember that lcd will only allow about 10% of the light to pass thru it.

Don't buy the lcd yet, but must have an lcd in mind to buy later so that you can design your cabinet carefully.
The moment you put your lcd in the cabinet, as much as possible never to touch or move that lcd again otherwise you are taking the risk of losing alot of money. I broke my lcd before because of changing my cabinet design so many times and moving my lcd carelessly.

Hope it helps.

Hertz
note:
My projector is between the black speaker and the TV in the attached image. Its too big for my lcd. I think you can reduce still reduce the size by 30%. I hope you can do better.

Attachments

• outline5 032.jpg
    outline5 032.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 675
Mike_e,

I thought you were just around the corner. I didn't notice that you are presently in Saudi Arabia. Kamusta dyan pre?

Anyway, there is no previous thread to that. I build my first projector just by reading in the following sites.

www.diyaudio.com
www.diylabs.org
www. projectorcentral.com

I found no need to post my first pj because its terrible and pathetic .

Thanks to Mr. Allan Staples because its the first site that i discovered. I was about to buy a commercial projector last christmas but i am still afraid about bulb life and cost. I didn't think before that it is possible to diy a projector but I was wrong.

Nothing spectacular in my design and its one of the simplest design that one can make. The important thing is buying the right parts for your rquirements.

Ask yourself the following questions.
1. How much is my budget? Please be aware that infocus x1 cost 75,000 pesos or about $1340 here in our country. Epson S1 cost almost the same but bulb is cheaper by 10,000 pesos. But you can buy abroad for something like $900 and just pay for the taxes here when you come home. Please take into consisderation about bulb llife and cost
2. Will i use it for watching movies or playing games?
3. How big I want my screen to be?
4. Where will I put my projector?How far from the screen?
5. Do you intend to watch during daytime also?

The location where you put your projector and how big your image you want are very critical. Normally a diypj can project 100 inches diagonal from about 8ft-15 ft, It is one of the limitation of diypj becasue it has no zoom lens. If you want your pj to be located at the back of your sitting position, then you had to make corresponding optics focal length requirement.
Just continue to read on for a few days or weeks and get back to me or send me an email when you find it a little confusing.You can call me when you get back home.

cjab,

Thanks for some nice words but I am not an expert. I just want to share my success just like the others who had contributed their knowledge and experiences unselfishly otherwise I am not here.

A lot of people are asking me how to get started and almost always, the first thing that I asked is how much money they want to spend.

370cnd is about 198 US dollars right? Then you will have to contend with second hand parts for the meantime. Everybody wants a decent pj for watching movies and playing games.

Buying the right lcd for you is the trickiest part. If only you are in the Philippines then I can help you find a budget car tv lcd.

I can buy you $50 for the optics at HMR, $50 fo 150w light engine and a second hand car lcd for $100 and there you go, You can probably have 60-70 inches diagonal image . A decent pj for night viewing and playing games only.

But I would suggest to buy a quality optics and light engine and save money to buy for a good lcd later on. Kindly read my inputs that i gave to Mike and fonski.

Regards,
Hertz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.