DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2 - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 20th October 2012, 01:07 PM   #421
diyAudio Member

Default Tram2 is on!

Dear all. The reported bad resistro wasnt such. My apologizes to all of you and to Kiwame. There were a false contact in one of the CCS modules.
Well, my Tram2 is now on, installed and sounding just BeautyFull !!!
The middle frequencies, voices and strings are the best I have heard in my system.
However I noticed that cymbals and brasses (metalic instruments) sound now mellowed, middle bass is as well softer.
Is it normal during the first hours of operation? or is it how the Tram sounds? What could I do/change in order to get more metallic sound? Id appreciate any suggestions coming from you.

Dont take me wrong please, the Tram sounds wonderful. It is a matter of taste.
MB
Old 20th October 2012, 03:10 PM   #422
Desmo is offline Desmo  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Good that you tracked down the problem Your description of a mellow sound certainly does not match my Tram II..! Actually I would say it's the most dynamic and live-sounding preamp I have ever had in my system. So I guess it's either a matter of break-in, or that something else is wrong with your preamp...!?
Old 20th October 2012, 07:22 PM   #423
diyAudio Member

Hi Morten
by no means there s something wrong with the Tram. As mentioned before the voices and strings are the "sweetest thing ever". I am listening now to Concha Buika via Linn Majik, and for the first time ever I felt Buika was in my room. I dont know if thats good or bad because Buika is as sexy as her voice and having her without having her...
I have read in some websites that though neutral the SCRs tend to the soft side. I remember that youre using now the Duelund caps in your Tram. Do you remember the soudn with the SCRs before that?
By the way, the RC regulators arrived today. I really cannot imagine the voice of Buika sounding more real. But I will try anyway.
Old 21st October 2012, 10:54 AM   #424
diyAudio Member

We used different words when describing sound, so one should be careful with the interpretations of course. My reason for asking if you are sure there is not something wrong with your preamp is, that words I would never use to describe the Tram II is mellow and sweet... But again, I don't know your reference for using those words... Personally I would use totally different words: Bold, dynamic, transparent, natural and with that live-feeling that so few products manage to achieve...

If you go back in this thread you can read my evaluation of the Duelund CAST as input caps compared with the original Obbligato teflon caps. The short answer to your question: NO, actually the opposite. Duelund has a very natural and coherent sound whereas all teflon caps that I know of has more highlight of the details. This can make them more impressive, where as the Duelund just dissapear. So if I was forced to call one of them mellow (again a word I would not use for either cap) it would be the Duelund.

I know this does not exactly help you to understand what you hear, but again: I can't really relate to your sonic impressions. They are very different from mine...

Regarding the Rod Coleman DHT regulators they are the biggest sonical difference on the Tram II, and as I have mentioned before: I believe the regulators makes a bigger difference than all other mods combined. Hearing is believing

Last edited by Desmo; 21st October 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:48 AM   #425
diyAudio Member

Hi marybety
I will say the same As Desmo about the sound---do you use 45 tube,,im my system they were a bit more sweat or mellow...I will say that the output caps give more to the sound that input caps,,,but not near so much as the Coleman regulator
Tubes is the first place to start ,if you want a different sound.
Best Bjarne
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:53 AM   #426
diyAudio Member

I totally agree with Bjarne The upgrade of the output caps to 6 x 2,2uF obbligato tinfoil gives quite a lot, and is a bigger improvement than replacing the input caps. However, the Rod Coleman regulators is the most essential of the upgrades...

Regarding tubes: YES, the 45's are less dynamic, more intimate, more mellow...
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:48 PM   #427
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for your answers Morten and Bjarne.
And yes Morten, you r right. We use different terms for describing the wonderful sound of the Tram. It wasnt my intention to misinterpret your words.

I will let the Tram break in for a couple of weeks before proceeding with the tunings. I will let you now about my impressions.

My next challenge is to find a reference class powerful tube amp (100W) in the diy community for honoring the Tram. Any suggestion is welcome.

For anyone of you reading this thread and still thinking about buying the Tram . Just DO IT!! You will be very happy at the end.

Regards

MB
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:59 PM   #428
diyAudio Member

I am using 2A3, 6N5P and 274B.
Old 27th October 2012, 06:41 AM   #429
GeirT is offline GeirT  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi, has anoyone tried to move the Tram output voltage divider (the relevant part of the resistor network at the output RCAs) to the input of your power amplifier.

My belief is that this would lower the Tram's output (DC) impedance so that the capacitance of the following RCA signal cable to the poweramp does not shape the tonal balance. Please protest if I've got it wrong.

I find that I only use the -12dB output of the Tram and it should be easy to move these four resistors in total to the poweramp input.

I've heard that SET tubes might get broken if they do not see any load (might only be applicable for poweramps with transformer on output). The Tram is decoupled with output capacitors so my belief is that the removal of an output load at the RCA outputs should not hurt the preamp.

Any knowledge on this?

Geir :-)
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:32 PM   #430
GeirT is offline GeirT  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yess, finally installed the the Rod Colemans heaters too.
First impressions:
1. Lower noise floor
2. Increased transparency
3. Expanded soundstage
4. Somewhat drier base/lower mids

The drier sound might well also be due to some exchange of the output resistors.

Overall, well worth the work.
Thank you Rod for offering this technical advance :-D

Geir

Hide this!Advertise here!