ultimate source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Didiet and for others interested,

I recently added S/PDIF coax output circuit which involves a capacitor, resistive divider, and a pulse transformer based on a design from a fellow on here named Salar, you can see his post here with a schematic using the DIT4192. He uses the same toslink transmitter that I used in the schematic, the TOTX173, and used the same pulse transformer that Cirrus Logic recommends to use with their S/PDIF transmitter ICs, the PE-65612 from Pulse Engineering. I actually forgot to install the .1uF capacitor between the S/PDIF outout on the DIT4096 and the resistive divider, so I can't test it until it comes in the mail.

There is another thing I'd like to point out if anyone wants to build this player (and you should) is the firmware to use. I was playing around with the LCD on my board and it shorted against something and damaged the dsPIC33 and microSD card. My meter read a short of 6 ohms between all four Vdd/Vss pins on the dsPIC33. I removed the old one by cutting the pins from the package with a blade on 3 sides and lifting up and bending until the pins broke on the 4th side. I removed the pins from the pads, cleaned up the pads and soldered on a new dsPIC33. When I programmed the newly soldered dsPIC33, I used an older version of firmware that I built from the file KDA_US02.zip which contained the source code. It looks like Koon has fixed all of his firmware links, as KDA_US02.zip is no longer available. I mistakenly programmed it on the dsPIC33, resulting in a lot of "DISK ERR" messages and half of the LCD being used instead of the whole LCD like with the proper firmware.

The proper firmware to use is KDA_US02_20091206a.zip and can be found here. It's just the source code and needs to be compiled. I honestly cannot remember if I had to use a 3rd party C compiler, but I don't think so. You'll just need everything that comes with MPLAB.

After flashing the proper firmware, the player worked great, and my repair by replacing the dsPIC33 was a success.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.