EZDAC is singing now!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I gotta run, but just wanted to give an update. I finished building my DAC today, and it works. I have it hooked up to my SqueezeBox. I'll give more details later. But here's some pics.

Attachments

• ezdac_wideview.jpg
    ezdac_wideview.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 4,713
Thanks! The sound is promising. The setup is not ideal, as the negative rail was not working, so I had to connect a second power supply. I think I must have burned the LM337. For my next build, which will be intended as a reference, I will use AD1896 and PCM1794, and also AD8610 for the op amps. But, so far, even this prototype sounds good to me. It's more "crisp" than my previous DAC, a TDA1543 NOS DAC made by Derek Shek, but I expected this to be the case. I liked the Shek DAC a lot. I need to listen to my DAC for several weeks to determine whether I will make a permanent change. If the perceived increase in detail becomes fatiguing, then I may switch back. Still, it was great fun to do this project.

I don't have those files. I'm doing this using ExpressPCB. I am going to make some minor modifications to the prototype, as well. Then I'd like to do another run. If you'd like to suggest some changes, I'm willing to listen. However, if you take a look at the BOM (and now the "Fancy BOM" that I made), building the current board is not exactly cheap. I don't want to add too much more to the cost or the complexity, or else, I fear losing the "EZ" in EZDAC. That said, the board has plenty of flexibility. For example, you can use external PSU for the op amps, and bypass the I/V section entirely to run your own, if that's desired.

I will admit that now I'd like to learn how to use Eagle, so I can make these Gerber files I keep hearing about ;) .

That's the idea. The eventual target is an active 3-way, using a pair of AF4 boards per channel. Running your DAC in mono would provide a separate output for each XO, and keep the other channel far, far away. It helps that your DAC runs on the same +-15vdc that the XO boards already use, too.

Best channel-separation obtainable, I'd guess, having a decent dedicated DAC for each.

:D

It doesn't look easy to put jumpers on pins 1-2. The other problem with that is that it makes the board a little harder for people who don't need that capability. If you want, I can try to do jumpers, and then make a mini-board run specifically for you. You'd get three boards, and I guess you could use the extra for a "normal" 2-channel version. Let me know if you're interested.

If you're willing to try it, I can certainly pony up for the 3 boards. Offhand, I can't think of another diy DAC that can go mono; yours may be the first, and a pair ought to be just about affordable.

At least in context. Besides 2 DACs, my project needs 2 ladder attenuators, 4 crossover boards, 6 power amplifiers and 3-4 power supplies. Since I'm buying, building and integrating stepwise, it's still do-able on a hobby budget. :cannotbe:

RandyB

Cool! I'm using a couple of the 'scalable PSU' boards from the ActiveFilter4 GB a while back, so I'm OK for power, I think. Are you contemplating other changes for the re-spin, or is the current design pretty much complete?

I've been using OPA2134s for everything, and got curious about that AD8610; I put an AD8620 on a BrownDog adapter in my CD5000 last night just to see. Sounds nice. ;)

RandyB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.