Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Let me state upfront that I am not doing a "Burson" here. I am not the designer/seller of the EA Clock but I know the person. He is also the Singapore distributor for Tent Labs products. Guido Tent can attest to this and lastly, I do not profit from his business operations.

James Soh, the designer and owner of Effective Audio has been servicing Singapore's modding needs for a few years now. His earlier clock, the Effective Audio Premium Clock was based on a simple TL431 and a transistor.

In the latest revision, Effective Audio Clock II , James uses a a super regulator to provide clean 5V power supply to the XO oscillator and based on what I know about super regulators, they are much quieter compared to a shunt-regulated power supply used in the Tent X03.

Since the performance of the XO oscillator depends a great deal on the quietness of the power supply, technically, the Effective Audio Clock II should outperform the Tent X03.

For your reading pleasure :)

http://www.effectiveaudiomod.com/Prod_Clock_products.htm

Attachments

• clock_eam_2.jpg
    clock_eam_2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 935
Ruach said:
Hi guys,

Let me state upfront that I am not doing a "Burson" here. I am not the designer/seller of the EA Clock but I know the person. He is also the Singapore distributor for Tent Labs products. Guido Tent can attest to this and lastly, I do not profit from his business operations.

James Soh, the designer and owner of Effective Audio has been servicing Singapore's modding needs for a few years now. His earlier clock, the Effective Audio Premium Clock was based on a simple TL431 and a transistor.

In the latest revision, Effective Audio Clock II , James uses a a super regulator to provide clean 5V power supply to the XO oscillator and based on what I know about super regulators, they are much quieter compared to a shunt-regulated power supply used in the Tent X03.

Since the performance of the XO oscillator depends a great deal on the quietness of the power supply, technically, the Effective Audio Clock II should outperform the Tent X03.

For your reading pleasure :)

http://www.effectiveaudiomod.com/Prod_Clock_products.htm

the power supply on Tentlabs XO2/3 boards is speced at 5 nV/SqrrtHz with LF noise corner at about 10Hz

If anyone can supply the output noise specs of the "super" regulator, we have our answer.

best

Re: Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Guido Tent said:
Like I wrote, it is a specification.

I’m sorry, but that is still not clear. Is the specification:

1) The design goal of the power supply, or
2) The ‘potential’ performance of the power supply, or
3) The guaranteed performance of the power supply.

Please just answer 1, 2, or 3.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Ulas said:

I’m sorry, but that is still not clear. Is the specification:

1) The design goal of the power supply, or
2) The ‘potential’ performance of the power supply, or
3) The guaranteed performance of the power supply.

Please just answer 1, 2, or 3.

Since you are so keen on answers; there are at least 2 threads that you participate in waiting for answers from your side.

3 is my answer. Typical performance is way better by the way, which was the design goal and shows the potential performance of the supply.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Guido Tent said:
Since you are so keen on answers; there are at least 2 threads that you participate in waiting for answers from your side.

That's nice. After I've said what I want to say I don't return to the threads. I see no point in long, drawn-out verbal battles with you diyAudio Experts. You have your opinions and I have mine. I doubt either of us will ever change the other's mind. If anyone wants to call my attention to a urgent question they can always drop me an email.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Ulas said:

That's nice. After I've said what I want to say I don't return to the threads. I see no point in long, drawn-out verbal battles with you diyAudio Experts. You have your opinions and I have mine. I doubt either of us will ever change the other's mind. If anyone wants to call my attention to a urgent question they can always drop me an email.

There's one thread that can be answered by 1 simple typenumber of your preferred clock-driver, no long battle needed.

There is no need to change my or your mind as far as I am concerned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Guido Tent said:
There's one thread that can be answered by 1 simple typenumber of your preferred clock-driver, no long battle needed.

That's easy. I have no preferred clock driver. Each application is different and, with the ongoing shift to RoHS compliant parts, availability changes from month to month. I pick from what's available to meet the requirements in terms of fit, form, and function.

Besides, isn't this forum all about DIY. Who cares which clock driver I might use. Open the parts catalog, read the data sheets, and choose one that you like. That’s the aspect of the forum I hate the most. Nobody wants to make a decision for him or herself but will copy what someone else has done, even if it is wrong E.g., dividing a clock with a ripple counter.

Ruach said:
Guido, since you know James Soh as he distributes your products in Singapore, you can ask him to send you a set of his EA Clock II to take the noise measurements.

It would be interesting to see how your XO3 clock perform against his EA Clock II.

Hi

James is aware of this thread, so i leave that up to him to decide. He could also send a circuit diagram so I can calculate the noise. Most straightforward though would be if he measures noise himself.

best

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Ulas said:

That's easy. I have no preferred clock driver. Each application is different and, with the ongoing shift to RoHS compliant parts, availability changes from month to month. I pick from what's available to meet the requirements in terms of fit, form, and function.

Besides, isn't this forum all about DIY. Who cares which clock driver I might use. Open the parts catalog, read the data sheets, and choose one that you like. That’s the aspect of the forum I hate the most. Nobody wants to make a decision for him or herself but will copy what someone else has done, even if it is wrong E.g., dividing a clock with a ripple counter.

then I'll simplify your life: You have strongly disagreed with the clock distribution scheme in this design:

http://www.tentlabs.com/Products/DIYDAC/DIYDAC.html

So propose a clock driver that would fit this form and function. And who cares about RoHS, this all about DIY.

Thanks Guido. You have been a great help in the past.

I have owned your Tent XO3 clock for some months and I have some questions regarding the XO3 design.

I will start a different thread to discuss this.

James is a nice chap and I don't think he will comment much. I would love to see some numbers on his EA Clock II though.

He should know his stuff well as he was formerly in charge of the design and product development of the famous Philips DVD 963S SA.

Not sure if these are about DIY since both of you have strong commercial interests here. Elso has left Diyaudio and Tent Labs and LC Audio are the only 2 clock mongers here : )

Ruach said:
Thanks Guido. You have been a great help in the past.

I have owned your Tent XO3 clock for some months and I have some questions regarding the XO3 design.

I will start a different thread to discuss this.

James is a nice chap and I don't think he will comment much. I would love to see some numbers on his EA Clock II though.

He should know his stuff well as he was formerly in charge of the design and product development of the famous Philips DVD 963S SA.

Not sure if these are about DIY since both of you have strong commercial interests here. Elso has left Diyaudio and Tent Labs and LC Audio are the only 2 clock mongers here : )

Hi,

If someone sends me EA Clock II I'll measure the supply noise

Allthough forums are time consuming, I keep contributing to support DIY

best

Hi Guido!

What is the maximum voltage that the tent clock xo can take? I have the allen wright version. I've accidentally introduce 9V to the xo coz forgot to put a jumper during a conversion to 3.3V. But it just about +-10 secs before I shut the power off. ATM, the clock is still working. Will the clock behave differently or will create problem in the future? Thanks!

Cheers!

Eddy.

P/S : Borrow your thread for a while Ruach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.