Effective Audio Clock from Singapore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
flyboi said:
Hi Guido!

What is the maximum voltage that the tent clock xo can take? I have the allen wright version. I've accidentally introduce 9V to the xo coz forgot to put a jumper during a conversion to 3.3V. But it just about +-10 secs before I shut the power off. ATM, the clock is still working. Will the clock behave differently or will create problem in the future? Thanks!

Cheers!

Eddy.

P/S : Borrow your thread for a while Ruach.

Max supply voltage is 5.5V. I know they still work after short overvoltage, but have nevert tested them on jitter performance afterwards.

best

Hi Guido!

Thanks for the info! The reason I'm asking is bcoz I'm having a slight problem with my player. I can hear a distortion/screeching sound sumtimes during high peak on a musical passages. It can be other problems. Changing the xo will be a last resort for the troubleshooting.

Cheers!

Eddy

Ruach said:
Thanks Guido.

You have been helpful in your sharing of your knowledge even though sometimes you can be a bit cryptic and you have a disinclination to China clockmongers.

I guess you have also benefited by participating in diyaudio too :)

Hi

My problem wilth all other clock manufacturers is that they claim performance without any proven (published) data. Worst of all, most of them talk about ppm's as being an important clock parameter - it is not, so my conclusion is that they don't know their business.

Yes, there is mutual bennefit from my participation on DIYaudio

best

Guido Tent said:

Hi

My problem wilth all other clock manufacturers is that they claim performance without any proven (published) data. Worst of all, most of them talk about ppm's as being an important clock parameter - it is not, so my conclusion is that they don't know their business.

Yes, there is mutual bennefit from my participation on DIYaudio

best

Guido ,

Care to share why and what should be taken into consideration on the Clock specs. I've read some specs saying " Clock Jitter : Less than 14ps directly distributed to DAC " .. like the
Consonance CDP .

Thus changing the stock clock worth since the clock inside has already very low gitter?

audioboy69 said:

Guido ,

Care to share why and what should be taken into consideration on the Clock specs. I've read some specs saying " Clock Jitter : Less than 14ps directly distributed to DAC " .. like the
Consonance CDP .

Thus changing the stock clock worth since the clock inside has already very low gitter?

Hi,

1) They don't spec the bandwidth of measuement so this spec is useless
2) I'd like to see a measured result supporting the claim, this also solves "1"
3) Lower jitter is always better, but one cannot compare single figures as the clock spectrum is of utmost importance

best

Guido Tent said:

Hi,

3) Lower jitter is always better, but one cannot compare single figures as the clock spectrum is of utmost importance

best

So what is the phase noise spectrum of your xo and vcxo? Would be nice to see a phase noise plot from say 10Hz to 1MHz for a 11.2896MHz oscillator.

rlim said:

So what is the phase noise spectrum of your xo and vcxo? Would be nice to see a phase noise plot from say 10Hz to 1MHz for a 11.2896MHz oscillator.

I do not measure phase noise, I measure jitter, see attached plot

best,

Attachments

• 256fs_master_1.jpg
    256fs_master_1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 380
Ruach said:

James is a nice chap and I don't think he will comment much. I would love to see some numbers on his EA Clock II though.

Hi

I've found this spec on EAM site

"Less than 1mV (conservatively rated) voltage noise across audio frequency up to 250Khz"

which comes down to 2uV/SqrrtHz, that is way above (nearly 60dB) my 5nV/SqrrtHz, so I suspect a measurement or design error......

best

Guido Tent said:

Hi

I've found this spec on EAM site

"Less than 1mV (conservatively rated) voltage noise across audio frequency up to 250Khz"

which comes down to 2uV/SqrrtHz, that is way above (nearly 60dB) my 5nV/SqrrtHz, so I suspect a measurement or design error......

best

Guido,
How did you arrive at 2uV/rtHz? I assume you integrate 1mV across 250KHz bandwidth, but I got 500uV/rtHz!!?
In any case, I believe he did the measurement with a scope, and this is mostly switching noise and not thermal noise.

Guido Tent said:

Hi,

best

So would you still recommend to replace the stock oscillator with an external clock + PSU .. given the specs of the player.?

rlim said:

Guido,
How did you arrive at 2uV/rtHz? I assume you integrate 1mV across 250KHz bandwidth, but I got 500uV/rtHz!!?
In any case, I believe he did the measurement with a scope, and this is mostly switching noise and not thermal noise.

1mV/Sqrrt250000

scopes are no good for noise quantitative measurements and have higher bandwidt than 250kHz (nowadays)

Hi Guido!

I've managed to reduce the distortion quite a bit by changing back the resistor after the dac output to original value. Before this I reduce the resistance so it might have overloaded the dac. But I can still hear a bit of distortion sumtime but not as pronounce as before. Anyway, so far the player is still playing, so there is no problem with the clock. But since the XO has been over voltage, with unknown jitter figure, most probably the XO is already out of specced. Do u recommend me to change to a new XO?

Cheers!

Eddy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.