Cheap DIY DAC - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2002, 10:56 PM   #11
weissi is offline weissi  Europe
diyAudio Member

The TDA1543 is indeed a very interesting part for diy.....
When I started to think of building a dac first I came to the AD1855, then PCM1716 and other SigmaDelta´s..... But...SSOP!
Realy tough things..... they are hard on the edge for diy etching....
At the end I found the "old" TDA´s wich were DIL´s and the diy community sayed they sound better than SigmaDelta ones....
tomorrow I will start etching, PCM1716, WM8716, AD1855, PCM1738, TDA1541, TDA1543 all connected to CS8412...
....feeded by a CD-ROM
and all with NE5532 after it...
it´s not thought to be High End... only for what gives me the best base for further investigation...
I´m so nervous what will sound the best.....
Old 28th November 2002, 11:15 PM   #12
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fedde,

I respect your opinion and advise but please explain why one would change his TDA1541A for a TDA1543
If one has an *old* Philips cd player it is IMO more clever to get rid of the SAA7220P/B and put a transformer/tube buffer behind the TDA1541A. But as you posted: it is possible.
As stated before I wouldn't do this kind of surgery to a Marantz CD80
By the way I am the guy you see strolling around bazars to find those old pieces of Philips jewelry
I have that psycho swing-arm glare in my eyes.
Old 28th November 2002, 11:55 PM   #13

Mmm, more valuable than gold you said ? Time to invest in TDA's instead of stocks in the IT sector...
Old 29th November 2002, 05:21 AM   #14
Hamish is offline Hamish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up DIY shootout

i'm with you, halcyon.
i am a little bit wary of building a DAC. i do want to build one, however i don't want to build one and then decide it wasn't what i expected. although an ultra-simple one would be a great first DAC, i would prefer to build one that was perhaps a little more involved, but more rewarding at the end of it all.

a shoot out would be a fantastic idea.

i would love to be able to build one like Peter, but not just yet. great work!
Old 29th November 2002, 08:32 AM   #15

Default Do the DAC shootout !

Quote:
i am a little bit wary of building a DAC. i do want to build one, however i don't want to build one and then decide it wasn't what i expected. although an ultra-simple one would be a great first DAC, i would prefer to build one that was perhaps a little more involved, but more rewarding at the end of it all.
If people are uncertain they end up with nothing. Some build stuff while others wait and wait...
DIY is about building things and learning. How many times I designed a PCB for a DAC and asked people if they wanted one to try out ? The people that preferred to wait for the results of others that built it were always too late when they decided they wanted one.

If you like to make decisions like this I guess it is more practical to go to a shop and compare DAC's of the well known brands.
Old 29th November 2002, 08:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Unhappy ouch!

i do see your point though, jean-paul. any ULTRA-EASY ones you could suggest then? i guess it is the best way to go. i only wanted to do it to go with an old cd-rom i have lying around (i have heard the results are very promising).

thanks for the advice. i'm only new to this, so all advice gladly taken
Old 29th November 2002, 08:45 AM   #17
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Thumbs up Cheap DIY DAC

Hi Jean-Paul, I couldn' t agree more! This forum is about DIY! It can be considered as a learning process and it is a lot of fun, except for the moments I see smoke rising out of my equipment....
Being unsatisfied with the sound of my stock Sony CDP I bought the Alchemy DDE v1.1. This was much better but could be improved tremendously by tweaking. Later on I built my own DAC and sound quality has reached a incredible high level. What if I sat back and waited for a new add-on-box DAC....? And I believed all the hipe and crap of the commercial talk?
Old 29th November 2002, 09:09 AM   #18
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Just saw Scott Nixon's DAC and it really seems simple!!
I have a Marantz CD48 with coaxial output and as I heard that its transport is good I have been thinking about making a DAC for some time. But normally circuits are a bit complex. But if I can get my hands on a schematic so simple I might give it a try. Something with no PCB (I have a tube pre and now a Zen V4 p-2-p wired). Anyone knows something like that (and of course better than the stock one in my CDP)?
Old 29th November 2002, 09:16 AM   #19

Hi Miguel,

Please see this links for schematics :

http://pub4.ezboard.com/ffakeidsfrm1
http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/...o/diy_dac.html
http://home.student.utwente.nl/f.s.b...dio/nonoz.html
http://home.triad.rr.com/scottnixon/dac.htm
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Lese...Projekt/CD.htm

Forget the crap about feeding the TDA with 8V though. The first schematic had this 8V. Everybody copied it like sheep do the things other sheep do.
I actually read on one of the sites that they used 8V because everybody does !! And please use the output filter caps.

A PCB really is recommended in the case of DAC's. The possibility of hard wiring atrackts a lot of tube guys for some reason
Old 29th November 2002, 09:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

ok, i'll try the scott nixon one. looks good, nice and easy, who could ask for more.
with the phase reversal of the dac, could you swap the polarity at the dac output, or does it have to be done at the speaker? half of my collection is vinyl, the other half cd, so this would be a pain.

Hide this!Advertise here!