Cheap DIY DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jean-paul,

I agree that a TDA1541(A) with a good tube outputbuffer could sound better. But that's quite complicated to make. Plus you have to do a lot of mods on the CDP to get the supply and so better. It's really easy to make a small experimental print with around 10 components and add it to the cd-player. For starters that is cheaper, easier and will sound probably better. The TDA1541 could potentially sound better, but only with a very good output stage IMHO...

I prefer the sound of my DAC over the sound of my modded silver crown DAC equipped CD-960. Still working on it though. (OP604 opamps but still bad output caps and more suboptimal components)

Fedde

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Fedde,

Isn't it better to concentrate on a very good output stage instead of pulling a potentially better DAC chip ?
I mean isn't this using a TDA1543 for TDA1543's sake ?
A starter is better off by building it outside the player i.e. with a CS8412 receiver in a separate box. No risk of :RIP: the :cd: player !

Mmm, a CD 960. My hands are itching...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I gave you hints to 3 different approaches. That must be enough to get the clue...
There must be still some discovering left in building this DAC, don't you agree ? Everybody that builds this thing googles a lot and comes up whith exactly the same questions.
Finding a solution is what differentiates the DAC's from eachother.

Jean-paul,
You are always welcome to visit me if your hands are so itching :)
First I have to repair the CD-960 a little. It has sometimes trouble finding the latest tracks. It needs some adjustments I think, I have all the service manuals.

I agree that making something in a separate box has advantages. But there's not much information on the net about making good output stages for the TDA1541. The adagio DAC is rather complex and expensive due to the hard to find components.

And Elso, thanks for motivating me again to ditch the 7808. Yesterday evening I tried the 7806 again. On my previous speakers I didn't like to use the 7806 for the DAC supply. Must be that I needed some distortion to give a sense of detail and openess... or more likely the influence on the bass.

Wow, on my recently acquired Tannoys (Super Golds 12") it sounds *much* better with 6 V. Only the bass is not so good :bawling:
Will the bass be better with 1K I/V instead of 1.2K? I use a 100 uF BG and a 7806 from marocco.

Later,

Fedde

Swing-arm glare..

Attachments

• cd3.jpg
    cd3.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 840
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hamish,

It is not a question of pro or anti tube. In this case it is an elegant solution to our common problem concerning phase.
To be honest: when it can be done without tubes I do it without tubes. Which means I have SS gear only at the moment ;)
An opamp will absolutely sound worse in this configuration. It was Jocko who made me wiser on that subject. Please search this forum for his experience on this matter. And others.
I understood that Elso is trying opamps after the TDA. He might be busy printing out the tube output right now...

OPamps???

jean-paul said:

I understood that Elso is trying opamps after the TDA. He might be busy printing out the tube output right now...
Hi Jean-Paul,
Opamps are station passed long ago. I use my own <B><I>discrete</B></I> opamp. I won't post or send the schematic though. It is something like Sonnya's circuit but much more sophisticated.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1794&highlight=sonnya
I am not into tubes but I use cascoded JFET's.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.