Cheap DIY DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Separate Powersupplies for the CS8412

fedde said:
Looks funky JP! :Popworm:

Watch out with the separate CS8412 supplies. I have heard that it's a bad idea to supply that receiver chip with separate regulators. Local capacitors are ok though.

Fedde
Hi Fedde if you use two separate powersupplies for the CS8412 one for the digital section and one for the PLL section use two 1N4148 diodes antiparallel between the two supplies on the receiver chip. In the event that one of the supplies fails your CS8412 gets very hot and gets KAPUT without the diodes. The two diodes are in Kusunoki's scheme in the December 1997 issue of MJ magazine. Jean-Paul has a copy maybe he can post a scan. Or would that be a violation of the copyright?. I can't read Japanese.......:confused:
Using the low noise analog supply for the PLL gave a big improvement in sound compared with the datasheet implementation using a series inductor for the PLL supply.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It tastes better than it sounds ! :yummy:

I simply use 5V and 3 x 1K, 470 uF cap for the TDA, 3,3 uF MKT as output caps. Still having the 78xx series as regulators. Busy to change that with something better. Having a new PCB layout almost ready of the last '97 Kusonoki DAC with the simple reclock circuit. Only made it out of curiousity for that one :magnet:

Having built so many DAC's I slowly get the feeling that a ready built Zanden or 47 Labs could have been a possibility...
Still have the parts to build at least 10 of them, back to work.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Got it. Hamish you probably made a decent decision by combining Scott's DAC with the tube output.

I am changing my PCB of the '97 Kusonoki with that tube output. Not being an audio-engineer I can get away with that :shhh:
Where's that dark voice saying it's not upon me to decide that...

Wow. Another nice hour of tweaking. I had 2x1K I/V and 1.2 K Vref resistor in my DAC. I changed the latter to 1 K and the sound improved again. More dynamics, better bass... yeah baby! And what a detail ! (listening now to a camp fire :flame: from a Solitude CD...)

I can't believe that I am listening to the same sound installation. Yesterday my set was tiring and had a lot of distortion and muddy bass. Now after two simple changes it rocks !

I use a 7806 now, I think I will try a 7805 too this weekend (and the 3.3 uF)...

Thanks JP! :wave2:

Fedde

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.