Philips CD880 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Plain CD650
Good clock is very important, is you experimental clock still available?

The NE5534/LM833 doesn't like the HF from non-os dac, opamps tend to slew (clipping into supply voltage) when they get a lot of rubbisch extra. Thats why a transistor or tube I/V can sound so good imo

Bernard: what pre-amp poweramp do you use? Same story as above with amplifiers.

Warmup time of DAC chip is one minute.
Parts around it need more. Example: settling time of lytics is a lot longer. And there are 3 lytics in a plain 650 around the dac, many more in whole CDP.

Clock = Kwak 7 or Tent's XO
I/V from rbroertjes, url on post 31
Will use tubes also: still busy with project: 4 dacs parallel, passive I/V with E88CC/6922 amplification.

open the case and there are tons of RF interfering

Marantz cans their opamps and HDAM's with copper in CDP's for HF shielding, this could be self made also.

How do simple transistor I/V compare to passive (R) conversion?

Read some older articles about it. Don't know yet, but they say (here on diy) passive is nice for "easy listening" active for dynamical music (jazz/pop) Will try it then i can say more about it.

It could be possible then to choose different parts (clocks, I/V's, OS or not) with particular behaviour (dynamic, analytic, warm sounding) to get the desired sound. Its like cooking!

tubee said:

Read some older articles about it. Don't know yet, but they say (here on diy) passive is nice for "easy listening" active for dynamical music (jazz/pop) Will try it then i can say more about it.

It could be possible then to choose different parts (clocks, I/V's, OS or not) with particular behaviour (dynamic, analytic, warm sounding) to get the desired sound. Its like cooking!

The only measuring tool you need is your ears!
If you like the sound, STOP!

Andy

Passive IV, with a only R at the
output of DAC reversing the phase for 180deg...
but if You add a tube after Riv, the phase is back to normal...
And that is, for my oppinion, one of the best ways to get voltage from
TDA1541A (and PCM63).
For instance of 47ohms IV resistor, which gives a
acceptable distorsion of dac, and 6SN7 tube...
do not use ECC88 this is higher transconductance tube, with vulgar sound
rather go to 6SN7 with very high voltage Va about 400V still is below the maximum, and 5-9mA Ik, with lower value of load resistor 6 to 10K...
The sound is very fast, direct, neutral, and free from distorsion.
With stage gain of about 12-15 output meets the standard values.
Maybee one aproach is better:
All the same, but with diamond single-ended I buffer stage beetwen DAC and Riv...
All techniques does not including capacitor at the path of the signal...

I know a few things now: The 1541 is not easy to implement, and the I/V after it is the same story.

But will still try the 6922 with an R for I/V. Have some Philips E88CC + Sovtek 6922 waiting here to be used again. (from my hybrid tube- fet amplifier)

The mains transformer will be:
230 to 12V 20VA for heater + HT
then 10VA 12 to 230V for HT, 12V from first 20VA.
Small transformers of Halogen lights from Ikea, very cheap. Not very sophisticated but will do for first tube I/V experiment.

Have to find some nice I/V resistors (vishay?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.