Philips CD880 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the FTS function ? What are the symptoms you have?

There is no such thing as "rebooting" an Eprom. The only thing I'd think of would be to erase its content using an UV lamp and then reprogram it's content. But I suspect your problem does not come from the Eprom.

Unfortunately I have not yet received the CD880 service manual I ordered from an eBay seller. I'm afraid I won't be able to help.

maxcat said:
My CD880 has been saved with a few well advised tips.

Glad to hear it's working again.

But the final salvage step is the FTS function has stalled. It went down when the EPROM became 'unconnected'. Seating it properly again has got it going - but trying to use the FTS function shuts all controls down.

The chip you re-seated was the EPROM containing the control software for the player. The FTS data is stored in an EEPROM (the XICOR X2816BP).

The FTS on-screen display lights and flashes rapidly but all controls stop operating. The only way to clear it is to turn it off and start again.

So to stop the FTS stall I think the EPROM may need rebooting. So how do I clear this FTS problem - the standard Owner's Manual 'clear' commands don't work.

Either the EEPROM has failed or perhaps it is a problem with the address decoding of the device. You can source another EEPROM from any Philips/Marantz player that has the FTS function (they all use the same device). If it is an address decoding problem you will need a schematic to diagnose it.

One test would be to enter service mode (power-up the player while holding down STOP/CM, PLAY and REPEAT.) Press NEXT three times until the second row of digits is 0003. Then press FTS and STORE at the same time. You should see a counter going from '0000' to '2047' as each location in the EEPROM is tested. You'll get 'Er 09' in the display if there is a problem. Good Luck!

Originally posted Fantasio
What is the FTS function?

It is "Favourite Track Selection" which allows you to store a program for a disc which can be recalled every time that disc is inserted in the player.

Another possibility is that the EPROM is corrupt. Enter the service mode as described again but this time press the 3 button. This will check the EPROM checksum. If there is a problem you'll get 'Er 11' in the display.

When that test has completed you can run the microcontroller RAM test - press STORE. 'Er 12' indicates a failure.

Out of interest, which EPROM version have you got? When you enter service mode you'll see something like 'P203' on the display - that is the EPROM version.

To enter service mode power-up the player whilst holding down STOP/CM, PLAY and REPEAT. Press the NEXT (track skip forward) button 3 times until '0003' appears on the second row of digits.

Now you can run the EPROM checksum test. I made a mistake in my earlier post - you should press REPEAT not 3 to run the test. The '0003' will blink briefly as the test runs. If there is a problem 'Er 11' will be displayed.

Then press STORE (S) to run the RAM test. Again, the '0003' will blink while the test runs. If there is a problem 'Er 12' will be displayed.

If either test ends with '0003' displayed, then there is not a problem.

CD-880 FTS board fix maybe.

To enter service mode power-up the player whilst holding down STOP/CM, PLAY and REPEAT. Press the NEXT (track skip forward) button 3 times until '0003' appears on the second row of digits.

Now you can run the EPROM checksum test. I made a mistake in my earlier post - you should press REPEAT not 3 to run the test. The '0003' will blink briefly as the test runs. If there is a problem 'Er 11' will be displayed.

Then press STORE (S) to run the RAM test. Again, the '0003' will blink while the test runs. If there is a problem 'Er 12' will be displayed.

If either test ends with '0003' displayed, then there is not a problem.

Hi, I have a CD-880 and I just replaced the Blue axial 16v 33uf cap on the laser assembly board and now my player will play CDs.

The problem now is that the tray dosn't work. So I found two more of the Blue Axial caps 47uf 25V on the FTS board that are bad, one reads 18uf the other 14uf. I just ordered the two and will replace them this week. Hopefully this will fix the tray motor not working. The tray switches work fine. One of the tray switches has been replaced with a standard switch that I found and glued into place, its the one that tell the player that the tray is all the way closed and it can start playing the disk.

I hope this information helps.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.