Philips CD880 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SAA7210-a

Attachments

• saa7210_a.jpg
    saa7210_a.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 766
the soldering in CD done very good...
it was great effort made to change 14 condensers
(I must say that my soldering and desoldering equipment not from the best...)
i persume that putting in base before IC-s will probably increase the risc
of damage the SAA chips...
Because of soldering from booth sides
the pump has to be excelent for that job...
suggestion is not to try to desolder chips, rather cut the copper...
thanks

If using a CD960 or CD304mkII, the clock frequency must definitely be 11,2896

Bernard, with no clock into Xin of 7210 or 7220 the cdp doesn't play music, only cd spins very fast. So always a cristal, XO or kwak is needed.

suggestion is not to try to desolder chips

Zoran: i desolder with wick litze, the heat can be absorbed by it, with a vacuum pump the heat gets into the pins of chips and copper-tracks. The cardboard PCB's can be very brittle with old philips gear.

Zoran: i have very simple equipment, no anti-ESD stuff, simple 25W iron. To prevent ESD its better to mod on a rainy day, and uncharge yourself on the central heating once in while.
Sometimes i lean a scope from friend.

Have modded a plastic CD640 into Non-oversampling (in quick: nonos)
Replaced current-divider caps in MKT
Replaced the 1541 into an "A" one. (No S1 or 2 , have ordered 6 "A" dacs for a project, but the project is still interrupted) Replaced some caps.

As I/V i use rbroertjes simple I/V but with Sanken transistors Decoupled I/V by Cerafines
Tried a bessel 3th order filter after dac output, removed it after listening test!

Applied a Kwak 7. Very fine especially when you love a deep bass with detail as i do, If you like analytic sound:get Tent's XO.

The sound: has analog feeling in it, bass is much faster and deeper now, (but not as good as my unmodified 14 bit CD300!!) Highs very clean, midband too. You can hear all the extra effects in music, the studio recordings add sometimes effects in music, i never heard them so obvious compared with OS (Lenny Gravitz-Mamma said)

Have CD304MKII also, modified a little, am still thinking what to do with it.

tubee said:

.................As I/V i use rbroertjes simple I/V but with Sanken transistors Decoupled I/V by Cerafines
Tried a bessel 3th order filter after dac output, removed it after listening test!..............

Do you have a link to this? I cannot find any info.

Bernhard said:

You will never get as deep bass as in 14bit CD300 because that 14bit add sub-nonharmonic and the 16 bit don't.

TDA1540@CD304.jpg

Do you mean the TDA1540 adds distortion products giving the impression of better bass?

Andy

better bass

tubee said:
[B
The sound: has analog feeling in it, bass is much faster and deeper now, (but not as good as my unmodified 14 bit CD300!!) Highs very clean, midband too. You can hear all the extra effects in music, the studio recordings add sometimes effects in music, i never heard them so obvious compared with OS (Lenny Gravitz-Mamma said)

Have CD304MKII also, modified a little, am still thinking what to do with it. [/B]

Hi Tubee,
Bass performance of my CDD882 (the drive version of the 880) improved al lot by modifying the psu. Get some inspiration from
Rudoos experiments
Start with replacing diodes, and shunt the 7210 and 7220 (if still in place, in my case I had to, because of the spdif-out, but you'll be suprised what a dedicatied shunt supply does to it :)

groet
Lourens

Bernard: it still works. Had occasionally startup problems, after refreshing oil in spindle motor it was solved. Made new acryllic window in frontplate, the original ones tend to get fuzzy.
Did only few mods on it: removed muting transistors, changed coupling caps, a Samyo Oscon (scavenged from a computer) placed near 7220 with a bead-on-wire and thats all.

tubee, how did you like the non os in the CD640 ?

I tried again today in a cd650 and did not like it.
(I have a bypassed SAA7220 soldered on a carrier that I can just plug into any player if it has socket for SAA7220.)
It sounds like :drunk:
And on the measurement complete harmonics K2 to K10 all -50dB, about 10 dB worse than a good chip with os.

Bernard: What clock are you using? Current divider caps? I/V? Mods?

Don't let your analyser analyse the sound, but your ears. You tried a clock also a while ago, and you disliked it too if i am not mistaken.
Play some simple music first you know well. Get used to the sound a few days, and let the whole burn in a while. The warming-up period is very important, sound right after a cold start is not very special, after two hours it opens up.
Experience with non os is that soundstage is somewhat less deep (less interpolated information from disc?? its real 16 bit though) but the sound is more "honest" (difficult to say)

I had a plain 1541, its faulty now, this dac sounded very very good in non-os

And as i said in an earlier post, its a matter of taste.
To make it more difficult: some music is better in non-os, other with os, afaik.
I Have a 14 bit 300, a 304 mkII in OS, an cheap 640 in Non-os, and still want to finish a 660 with 4 dacs parallel built in a solid case. So i can/will swap.

tubee said:
Bernard: What clock are you using? Current divider caps? I/V? Mods?

Plain CD650

tubee said:
Don't let your analyser analyse the sound, but your ears.

Both don't like it.

tubee said:
Get used to the sound a few days

No, getting used to it is getting used to it.
It must be right from the first 10 seconds.

tubee said:
after two hours it opens up.

Warmup time of DAC chip is one minute.
My power amp needs half hour. I can see that on a power consumption meter, 110 W after start up and 125 Watt after half hour.

You see I'm a measurement guy :clown:

1541 non os distortion is on same level as TDA1543 or TDA1540.
This distortion adds some sweetness but hides details.
All CDs get the same enhanced warm sound. Nothing for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.