Y B Blue - how blue LED improves the CD playback - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2002, 04:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Y B Blue - how blue LED improves the CD playback

After reading the review of YBA CD 1 Blue Laser CD player in February/97 issue of Stereophile I decided to experiment with blue LED in my CD-PRO transport. Here is some description of the effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blu1.jpg (74.4 KB, 3839 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th September 2002, 04:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is my temporary setup. When the LED is switched off the sound possess certain degree of harshness. I noticed that with my CD-PRO it was more pronounced that with my previous player. That's why I was a bit disappointed after finishing it.

When I switched the LED on the harshness disappeared, the sound is smoother with bigger soundstage, more relaxed and maybe a bit more detailed. Some would say, more analog like.
I think that this mod brings more improvement than installation of triplets that I did befor in my DAC. Highly recommended.

I'll be buying more blue LEDs and installing them in all my other players.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blu.jpg (32.7 KB, 3746 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th September 2002, 04:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Y B Blue - how blue LED improves the CD playback

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
After reading the review of YBA CD 1 Blue Laser CD player in February/97 issue of Stereophile I decided to experiment with blue LED in my CD-PRO transport. Here is some description of the effect.
Uh, hate to say it but in addition to copyright violation issues, the text in that sidebar violates the rules here regarding the posting of non-factual information.

se
Old 27th September 2002, 05:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Are you suggesting we should get ready for one of those long threads? How about a bit more of penance for yourself and continuing with that "dual quad litz"?

How come when something is really worth noticing it doesn't get deserved attention? Cable Absolution: Pay Your Penance With the Dual Quad Litz
Old 27th September 2002, 05:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Pete,

This is an interesting concept. It raises a multitude of questions which I'd like to address in followup posts. Here are a few questions/requests/thoughts:

How did you go about finding the correct distance to place the LED from the CD?

Does the light from the LED reach the photodiode in the CDP?

I'd like to ask you to provide me (us) the part numbers for your blue LED and the laser photodiode in your CDP.

It would really be interesting to know the differences in read errors with the blue LED turned on and off.

Lastly, please explain where in your circuit you have the blue LED hooked up.

Do you have any comments on how to go about reproducing your experiment?

Regards,
AudioEnthusiast
Old 27th September 2002, 05:17 AM   #6
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
that is a nice cd player peter. i like it what do you think the overall cost of that thing was to build NOT includeing the metal.

j'
Old 27th September 2002, 05:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Those thoughts and questions are interesting indeed. For now I will address only one. I'm running my blue LED from battery, because I'm afraid that by connecting it to the CD player circuits I might degrade the sonics in some way.
Old 27th September 2002, 05:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL
that is a nice cd player peter. i like it what do you think the overall cost of that thing was to build NOT includeing the metal.

j'
It may be nice, but to do something like that takes a lot of manhours. The cost of the parts I ordered from Netherlands was about CAD500, transformers and caps, plus some few other parts might add another 200, metal was cheap, but the hours...
Old 27th September 2002, 05:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Are you suggesting we should get ready for one of those long threads?
No. Only that the rules here prohibit posting non-factual information. And that sidebar is full of it. How does non-factual information benefit anyone?

se
Old 27th September 2002, 05:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

How does non-factual information benefit anyone?

se
Who said it should benefit anybody? It should be only observed.

Hide this!Advertise here!