Y B Blue - how blue LED improves the CD playback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Little Green Men?

Improved Digital Extraction/Reading

To further improve the sound, I have included green LEDs that shine directly onto the CD during play. This idea is borrowed from Krell CD player, which incorporate a whole role of bright green LEDs. I am unable to list the theory behind, but listening tests prove that the green LEDs allow the player to sound more musical, and sounds a lot more refined and elegant.

http://www.1388.com/articles/pioneer/page2/page2.html

AudioPrism CD STOPLIGHT: Some call it the "green ink pen". Whatever you call it, the other thing you can call it is "indispensable". Here is another very effective tweak at a very affordable price from AudioPrism. There seems to be a trend here. Green colored "ink" absorbs the laser light which is scattered while the laser is reading the CD's data. Some of you may have seen green LEDs in the transport area of some CD players - same idea, probably much less effective.
The Sound: You will hear improvements like those you hear with the CD BlackLight II, better soundstaging, improved focus, seemingly lower noise with a "blacker" stage. You feel more like you are there with the musicians in the open space of the recording venue. One pen may do as many as 200 CDs.

So, the "Made in Switzerland" label is justified, as is the price. A speciality also found in the cases of YBA and Krell is the supplementary radiation of the CD with a secondary "parasite" beam.

According to Gassmann, the red LEDs of this system produce a form of interference which tricks the error correction device, thus improving resolution. The fact of the matter is that nobody knows exactly how this mysterious system works, even measuring instruments refusing to lift the veil. Also, green LEDs distributed all around the CD compartment radiate the CD from the side with a light complementary to the main laser beam. This is intended to cancel out any dispersed light from the main laser beam, giving the same effect as drawing a green felt-tip pen across the disc. These LEDs can be set to two different levels.

http://www.avantgarde-highend.ch/e/specs.html

I'm with Peter

Truthfully speaking, I will try this mod. Seriously what can it hurt...$5 in parts? I'm going to try both single blue, and multi green LED's. See what happens...maybe good maybe nothing at all. The point here is to try...why not I say. If it doesn't work for me oh well...at least I had a little project to exp. with...good or bad.

I can honestly say that I really don't fully know what I'm doing with electronics. But doesn't it help to learn something by trying?

Thanks to all who have posted with information to try, be it good or bad.

Rino Odorico

Re: Little Green Men?

HarryHaller said:
AudioPrism CD STOPLIGHT: Some call it the "green ink pen". Whatever you call it, the other thing you can call it is "indispensable". Here is another very effective tweak at a very affordable price from AudioPrism. There seems to be a trend here. Green colored "ink" absorbs the laser light which is scattered while the laser is reading the CD's data. Some of you may have seen green LEDs in the transport area of some CD players - same idea, probably much less effective.

It seems the writer of this particular piece didn't quite know what he was talking about. These two tweaks (ink vs. LEDs), regardless of whether or not they work, are accomplishing two very different things, or so the theory goes. The ink, they say, will absorb stray (red/infrared) laser light. They claim that the LED tweak is "[the] same idea, probably much less effective". But in fact the LED is supposed to be accomplishing something completely different - causing some kind of interference, or "analogue dithering". Common sense says the green (or blue) light from the LED will not absorb the red/infrared as they are claiming. As others have pointed out in this thread, light sources are additive, not subtractive.

I know this is probably obvious, but when someone (especially a reviewer) makes an obvious mistake like this, I can't place much faith in their conclusions.

Re: Iceman

Rino odorico said:
Iceman, is this on the same unit...ability to try each color? If so, what would they claim the difference is? Just wondering is that one LED with some sort of difuser doing that light or multi LED's?

Rino Odorico
Personally, I didn't hear any difference with the LED (blue or green), but I still keep the blue LED in the CDP as it looks cool with it.:)

I'm using a pure green (blue) ultra bright LED with a diffuser:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

paulb said:
This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen here. How can people's listening impressions (which are key to what we're doing here) be considered factual?

I never said peoples' listening impressions WERE considered non-factual.

Please read what I actually wrote:

<i>Uh, hate to say it but in addition to copyright violation issues, the text in that sidebar violates the rules here regarding the posting of non-factual information.</i>

<i>No. Only that the rules here prohibit posting non-factual information. And that sidebar is full of it. How does non-factual information benefit anyone?</i>

<i>And by the way, the non-factual information I refer to is only in the sidebar you copied from the Stereophile review. Everything else you've posted is just fine.</i>

I made the effort to make it perfectly clear that I was only talking about the text in the sidebar from the Stereophile review. Which contained only two sentences about how anything sounds. The rest of it was completely technically non-factual within the context of what was being discussed.

I don't consider anyone's listening impressions to be non-factual as they're only germane to a particular individual. Which is why I said absolutely nothing about listening impressions.

Objective technical claims are another matter however. And it was the objective technical claims in the sidebar which I was referring to.

The threads about directionality of speaker wires, why tubes sound better than transistors, why op-amps are sinful...or my favorite: "This is an amplifier that knows its music." You're saying we need to suppress all that?

That's not what I'm saying at all.

You're striving for banality. Lighten up.

You're striving to put words in my mouth. Listen up.

se

Re: resistor

jean-paul said:
It's one of the very basic rules.

You have to use a series resistor otherwise the current through the LED will be too high and it will fail.

Ubat - Uled / desired current Iled = Rseries.

Or am I too serious ?

Well, if he were running enough current through the LED to cause it to fail, it would have failed and we wouldn't have that photograph with that bright blue LED. :)

In this case, the batteries have enough internal resistance to keep too much current from flowing through the LED. I only suggested the resistor to keep from burning up so many batteries.

se

protos said:
However the wierdest tweak that I have tried that sounds laughable is freezing CD's. No really, I just tried it for fun because it costs nothing and doesn't involve almost any work.

That's not as weird as freezing photographs of yourself to make your audio system sound better. Now THAT'S weird. But it is infact recommended and practiced by some.

se

Peter Daniel said:
Listening to the music on a CD is doesn't require a scientific approach.

Nope. It sure doesn't. Nor should it unless one is on some academic pusuit to objectively determine actual audibility (i.e. someone developing audio codecs). Which is why I never question anyone's listening experiences.

Isn't it enough? The whole thing (LED) just makes me feel better about the music I hear.

And that's all that should matter.

My objection was of the non-factual objective technical claims made by Yves-Bernard in the interview. Objective technical claims are a whole other matter from simply listening for one's own pleasure without regard to any particular physical reality.

se

just the facts maam......

A LED has to have a current limitting resistor like almost all semiconductors.Period.

Well if the battery voltage is just above the LED turn on voltage....
no. It is a real good idea though in most cases. Just wanted you not to be corrected by our resident fact checker and be treatened with the sin bin.

H.H.

jean-paul said:
It may take a while before it fails, but it will fail.
Why argueing about basic electronics ? A LED has to have a current limitting resistor like almost all semiconductors.Period.

The 1.5 V battery doesn't produce any light from the LED. I'm using 3V from 2 batteries to power LED. The LED is still OK with 4V power. I don't see where a resistor comes handy here.;)

Some people seem to be concerned more with proper powering of the LED than with it's effect on music. This is only a temporary setup and the LED will be powered permanently from 16V supply with a use of resistor.

Harry, is this yours?;)

Attachments

• cdg.jpg
    cdg.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,005
jean-paul said:
It may take a while before it fails, but it will fail.
Why argueing about basic electronics ? A LED has to have a current limitting resistor like almost all semiconductors.Period.

But the "resistor" doesn't necessarily have to be a literal, physical resistor.

Dry cell batteries are hardly ideal voltage sources. They all have an internal resistance which limits the amount of current they can deliver.

What difference does it make if you have an ideal voltage source with no source resistance and a literal physical resistor or a non-ideal voltage source with an internal resistance and no literal physical resistor?

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.