Y B Blue - how blue LED improves the CD playback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Oops

Aargh, forgot the Uforward of blue LED's is a lot higher than conventional ones. I guess I have to go back to school...
Never used the blue ones myself, that will be the reason.
A resistor is better anyhow. Don't know the max. current of blue LED's but I think the internal resistance of dry cells is pretty low.

You're right about the effects. I tried it with green LED's once and I can hear the difference. Some people over here think the old Philips cdplayers sound good ( ? ) because they had a factory installed green LED shining on the disc.;)
Painting the side of cd's with a Staedler 317 green pointer makes them sound different ( in my opinion better ) too. I recall an audiomagazine writing about this phenomenon about 10 years ago. According to them the diffusion of stray IR light was absorbed this way. I can tell you I painted a lot of cd's then. They did sound more natural and less aggressive.
They even painted the innercircle and covered some parts with black ink as well. :( Too much work and too risky.

Reminds me of the foil Peter Belt ( the guy from the very thin wires ) invented. You had to put a small piece of selfadhesive aluminium tape on every spot where two different material met eachother. Tried that too, but I don't tell you the results or you won't take me serious anymore.

edit: changed name to Peter Belt.

Deja Vu

"You're right about the effects. I tried it with green LED's once and I can hear the difference. Some people over here think the old Philips cdplayers sound good ( ? ) because they had a factory installed green LED shining on the disc.
Painting the side of cd's with a Staedler 317 green pointer makes them sound different ( in my opinion better ) too. I recall an audiomagazine writing about this phenomenon about 10 years ago. According to them the diffusion of stray IR light was absorbed this way. I can tell you I painted a lot of cd's then. They did sound more natural and less aggressive.
They even painted the innercircle and covered some parts with black ink as well. Too much work and too risky."

My expeience as well.

H.H.

Re: Oops

jean-paul said:
Reminds me of the foil Morecroft ( the guy from the very thin wires ) invented. You had to put a small piece of selfadhesive aluminium tape on every spot where two different material met eachother. Tried that too, but I don't tell you the results or you won't take me serious anymore.

Was that Morecroft or Belt? I don't recall Dennis offering anything like that. Sounds more like Belt.

se

Ohms law and diodes.

Well, if he were running enough current through the LED to cause it to fail, it would have failed and we wouldn't have that photograph with that bright blue LED.

In this case, the batteries have enough internal resistance to keep too much current from flowing through the LED. I only suggested the resistor to keep from burning up so many batteries.

LEDs have a turn on voltage "knee like a diode" If biased at a point near this Knee the current is a function of the LED characteristics. The source resitence of the batty is pretty low and not what is controlling the current at this point. When the battery voltage is higher than this knee voltage, you can burn up the LED quite easily without a series resistor.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You're right. I just searched and found the magazine and even a piece of this foil. It's Peter Belt.

"LEDs have a turn on voltage "knee like a diode" If biased at a point near this Knee the current is a function of the LED characteristics. The source resitence of the batty is pretty low and not what is controlling the current at this point. When the battery voltage is higher than this knee voltage, you can burn up the LED quite easily without a series resistor."

Thanks for the right explanation, we can talk a long time about a battery and a LED, can't we ? :joker:

Re: Re: Little Green Men?

Sparhawk said:
I know this is probably obvious, but when someone (especially a reviewer) makes an obvious mistake like this, I can't place much faith in their conclusions. [/B]

I don't know why people can't just be content giving things a try and reporting their experiences.

Most of the physical explanations offered up so far wouldn't pass judgement at a sixth grade Science Fair. And those who don't know any better go on to repeat the same things elsewhere and you end up with a bunch of fairy tale physics being established as "common knowledge."

se

Deja Vu

I used to do this in '90s.

Attachments

• cd2.jpg
    cd2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,150
sixth grade Science Fair.

"In this case, the batteries have enough internal resistance to keep too much current from flowing through the LED. I only suggested the resistor to keep from burning up so many batteries."

I don't think this will get you a ribbon at the sixth grade Science Fair either.....

H.H.

Non-Facts = Noise

The best S.E. (Shining Examples)

Originally posted by peranders:
"artnyos, everybody else knows that you are not happy with me."
Hey, that makes two of us. Shall we start a club?

When did I ever say that it wasn't?

Man, the paranoia in here is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Yes, you've said that at least twice before. And at least twice before I've asked that you quote anything I've said that you're confused about and that I would do what I can to explain or otherwise clarify it.

So far, you haven't done so.

I'm trying to be as accommodating as I possibly can but I can't hope to try and clarify something if I don't know specifically what it is that's causing you confusion.

What more can I do? I don't care to try and second guess because that just causes more confusion. And I think the problem here is that you and some others are trying to second guess me and coming to some rather far flung conclusions as a result.

Tell you what, why don't you just tell me what it is you THINK I'm trying to say? Then I can at least tell you if you're on the mark or not.

Originally posted by Steve Eddy I never said peoples' listening impressions WERE considered non-factual.

Please read what I actually wrote:

<i>Uh, hate to say it but in addition to ...

Steve,
did it slip from your attention that our posting rules are meant spiritwise, not to be taken literal, and that we moderators judge by sprit if something is leading the community to 54th dimension?

We had some hard cases in the past, before you joined.

If we sense mischievous intention behind an info not that waterproof, we moderators have no humour for that. If it is a mere inspiration for snake oil discussions, well, not that it would hurt anyhow. C'mon on, lighten up!

We moderators encourage snake oil duiscussions as they are inspiring, as there are gems found in them now and then, as we refuse to exert content censorship.
BTW, our Redel plug talk recently was pure snake oil discussion.

Peter Daniel posted an article taken from a stereo review, one of those potential :Pinoc: cases, which inspired him to try out what possibly was non-factual info and reported there IHO was a sonic influence and he liked it. I wonder why you mess with the article Peter posted and why particularly you do not participate on the snake oil discussion.

Then, do you remember what we both discussed in private a few days ago? About a certain sort of invitations which are to be ignored by any means?

"You're striving to put words in my mouth. Listen up."
Steve, i do not want ot read this tone from you again? :irked:

You should be a bit more tolerant and lenient with your fellow humans, as your fellow humans also need a certain quantum mof tolerance and lenience for YOU!

You managed to drag down the S/N ratio of this thread considerably.

Harry, you too. and as you repeated this wording, who is to punished and who not?
Now someone is talking in a tone you usesd to use on others and your threshold of tolerance is that low?

Steve and Harry,
i totally agree with Helix:
:sarge: Stop bitching at each other!

Steve,
stop crusading for concepts clear to you but vague ot others!

Oh before i forget it, i do not want to see any answer to this post, just stay to the Blue LED topic, ok?

And before i forget it, i hooked a blue LED into my crappy CD transport. I like the difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.