Thorsten's Valve Output Stage with TDA1541DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Konnichiwa,

Okay, quick & painless.

I have published a few circuits.

1) The one from the Valve Article - also linked in post #4 which is actually not a circuit as such but a blueprint meant to be adapted by the individual builder.

2) The one I used in the final accounting with my "Adagio" TDA1541 DAC:

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/projects/adagio/Adagio.html

3) The one specifically aimed at the TDA1545 (and no other) which has been ripped off all over the net without propper attribution to me (which really pi...es me off) for example here:

http://www.ptsoundlab.com/secnumerique/cd/philips723/etagelampes.htm

(The siteowner also copied several other of my schematics - not even having the decency to re-draw them - again completely without attribution!!!)

The design originated in a "lets hotrod the Philips CD723" Discussion on a German board.

A "non-oversampling" digression was discussed here, this might be a neat upgrade for Yeo's TDA1545 DAC Board....

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=tweaks&n=52708

4) The "latest" TDA1541 Analogue stage as here:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There have also been some discussions on circuits for the TDA1543, but they are posted in my Yahoo Group and thus not directly accessible....

I hope this helps.

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

juancho said:
Thanks for the reply. The 'latest' tda 1541 circuit you post below, is that sonically better or similar but with a much lower component count?

It is a very different circuit, aimed a sonic purity, with no serious consideration given to load drive ability (eg no long cables please) output levels, low measured distortion and the like.

Sayonara

Konnichwa,

Andypairo said:
What if I can only get a 120 or 200 H choke? Must play with B+?

Not really. Adjust +B to give around 70V on the ANode, depending on choke DCR. Otherwise more L will be a good choice, IF the HF behaviour of the choke is good (in other words if it is wound as anode loading choke).

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

Bricolo said:
I'm no tube expert at all, but are you really talking about 200 Henries?!! H, no mH or uH?

Yes, of course. What else? The Anode impedance of an ECC88 is around 3K. With a 200H choke this leads to a -3db point for the analogue stage of around 3.4Hz purely from the LR interaction, of course distortion will go up at higher frequencies from the elleiptical loadline.

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

Bricolo said:
It's just that I didn't know that such high values existed. 200H sounds to me like 200F, IWO: huge!

Tango carries the TC160-15W which is a choke that offers 160H/15mA or 40H/30mA. It is quite small actually. As you can see, with falling current requirements the inductance of the choke for a given core goes up by the square of the current reduction (this is admittedly a little approximate but illustrates the point)....

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

Andypairo said:
Since as alternative is suggested a current source I think I'll go for that :(

Do you suggest a tube or a solid state CCS?

Specifically intended with the +B of 100V is the IXYS HV Chip CCS.

Otherwise design your own as you like, making sure of the 70-75V anode voltage for the ECC88/6DJ8/6922/7308.

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.