So using a BNC-to-RCA adapter is a bad idea? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2005, 04:02 AM   #1
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Default So using a BNC-to-RCA adapter is a bad idea?

Or is it OK?

I'm using a old Rega Planet as a transport with a Scott Nixon DacKit.

Currently, my SN DacKit has an RCA digital input, but I'm thinking of changing it to a true 75ohm BNC.

Since the Rega's digital out is RCA and I only have BNC-BNC cables, I'd have to use an BNC-to-RCA adapter.

Is this a really bad idea, or will it sound OK? I read a post in another forum that suggested this adapter may affect the sound in an undesirable way, but it wasn't proven one way or another.

Any ideas? I know that Ack D'ack offers their current cable as BNC-BNC with an BNC-to-RCA adapter if you need to go from one to the other.

Ack D'ack seems to build a good DAC, so maybe they are right and this scheme is OK? What do you think?

Thanks,
KT
Old 31st March 2005, 10:07 AM   #2
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I have changed all my Drive & DAC connections to 75 ohm BNC and I do believe it made a positive diference.
For a week or 2 I used Apogee Wyde Eye Digital cable terminated with RCA and plugged in via adaptors. I preferred this cable to my BNC'ed Monster.... I then terminated the Apogee with BNC plugs and thus got rid of the adaptors and noticed a further improvement...

My suggestion would be to eiter also change the Rega output to a BNC or if you do not wish to mess with it, make a cable with RCA one end and BNC on the other.

I would say BNC is better then RCA but RCA will outperform BNC-RCA conversions with adaptors.
Old 31st March 2005, 04:11 PM   #3
aarsoe is offline aarsoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Havent tried this - but

Why not just exchange both female rca plugs to WBT nextgen types, that are supposedly developed for digital/video applications, and that are getting great reviews all over..

Adapters are, in my mind, alwayes best to avoid..
Old 1st April 2005, 06:04 AM   #4
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I suspect KT is reluctant to modify a commercial product for whatever reason. I myself only mess with older long out of waranty stuff or stuff that is so tweaky (like the nixon dac) that it does not matter. The Nixon dac uses a std electronic box so modding it neatly is easy. The rega case would be a little harder to modify neatly... More stuff that could go wrong too as I am sure more experienced "stripping" of the unit is required if the hole in the case needs to be drilled bigger. Almost a certain thing with any panel mount socket vs the pcb mount type it probably has now....
Old 4th April 2005, 09:54 PM   #5
Banned

Default Why not use RCA on both ends?

Don't get me started..................I don't have time to 'splain it today..............again.

Jocko
Old 1st May 2005, 04:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

if the WBT nextgen connector has flat 75 ohm impedance to a giga-hertz I would be a little suprised. in searching the web I have been unable to find the impedance plotted anywhere.

why bother with BNC's when you can use SMA's?
Old 1st May 2005, 04:58 PM   #7
Banned

Default Jack............

I have spent way too much time the last 15 years or so to get people way from RCAs to BNCs. That was hard enough..............now you want me to tell them about microwave connectors?

If it was a 50 ohm world, we could get them to use APC-7.........or APC3.5. Right?

Jocko
Old 1st May 2005, 05:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

In my wayward youth I used type-N connectors -- I only operated on the 1296 MHz band once -- with a mil-surplus transceiver --

at the NY Home Theatre show, one thing which impressed me was that a manufacturer used SMA's inside an amplifier -- get this, the front panel used a high end RCA jack but the connection to the PC Board was an SMA connector -- the inside wiring looked like my HP 3586C measurement receiver.
Old 2nd May 2005, 02:11 PM   #9
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Why not use RCA on both ends?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jocko Homo
Don't get me started..................I don't have time to 'splain it today..............again.

Jocko
You'll be pleased to know that I put a BNC/RCA adapter on my latest digikey order...
Old 2nd May 2005, 03:29 PM   #10
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Default Re: Re: Why not use RCA on both ends?

Quote:
Originally posted by gmarsh

You'll be pleased to know that I put a BNC/RCA adapter on my latest digikey order...
Pleased??????????

Hide this!Advertise here!