Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

poynton said:
It has spread up the M1 from Nottingham !

Hehe, yep, it has. It's my turn to go one step too far. I am basically a bit of a novice and this servo mod isn't for the beginner.

Last night I turned it on and there was no smoke, but it didn't work. It clicked a few times and span the wrong way. Today I turned it on and there were more funny noises, soon followed by nasty smelly electrical smoke. :smash:

I don't even know what smoked. :confused:

SimontY said:
Just the sort of thing I had in mind :D Couldn't one dab some enamel on the silver?
Si

Knew a guy overhere who did exhaustive testing on this subject. The ultra thin silver he used for signal wires was flattened and painted with laquer for wooden floors. Fast drying, hard paint. Donno the brand name.

Personally I don't expect the rather large signal to be influenced by the choice of copper or silver. I see it as a good practice to keep ground lines low-ohmic. Maybe the starground would benefit from silver?

Jaap

disco said:

Knew a guy overhere who did exhaustive testing on this subject. The ultra thin silver he used for signal wires was flattened and painted with laquer for wooden floors. Fast drying, hard paint. Donno the brand name.

Personally I don't expect the rather large signal to be influenced by the choice of copper or silver. I see it as a good practice to keep ground lines low-ohmic. Maybe the starground would benefit from silver?

Jaap

I used silver loaded solder on my star ground

Brent

rowemeister said:
Here is a drawing of Divide by 2 circuit:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=911118&action=thumb&stamp=1147102756

and of wiring to pins:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=911120&action=thumb&stamp=1147102824

Also you mentioned you cannot find a 74LS74, Farnell in the UK have them. Also remember you need a D type Flip Flop with both normal and inverted output.
Brent

Didn't do much with IC's the last 20 years so I wondered if the SN74ALS74N can replace the mentioned 74LS74.

Jaap

disco said:

Didn't do much with IC's the last 20 years so I wondered if the SN74ALS74N can replace the mentioned 74LS74.

Jaap

Yes its fine mate and here is a snap shot of pin outs.

Its exactly the same

Brent

Attachments

• snap2.gif
    snap2.gif
    45.6 KB · Views: 362
More Improvements

Hi.

As well as the caps across the rectifier diodes, has anyone tried caps across the actual windings?

It may be difficult with the standard transformer but should be possible with extra Txs.

Values shown are 4.7uF/100v Pana. ECQ Polyester

Andy

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 364
martin clark said:
Caps across the diodes alone will change things, but not necessarily improve them. Here's a really good (if rather technical) read on the art of snubbing, or why you should consider adding a series resistor with the caps:
http://hagtech.com/pdf/snubber.pdf

Nice reading Martin.
I guess one could experiment with a 500mHz osciloscope and a given value for Cs by varying the value for the resistor?

Regards Jaap