Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

If you buy from eBay sellers in China, check their feedback rating first. The reputable ones will often have a feedback score of hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands. If their feedback is in the low tens and their user name is alphanumeric gibberish then they could be selling fakes. I made that mistake before. If in doubt, use a reputable online store closer to home like Farnell.

If I were you, I'd get a whole new laser assembly VAM1202(?) for ease of fitting. It's a bit more fiddly to do the laser pickup alone. With a newer part, you'll get the bonus of being able to play a wider range of discs that the original couldn't manage (like CD-Rs).

The op-amps are the little 8 pin chips in front of the HDAM modules. Use a solder sucker to remove, and be really careful - you want to make sure ALL the solder is off before you try to pull them out or you'll trash the tracks. Maybe practice on some less fiddly two-pin components first. The traces around the op-amps are very fragile.

I fitted sockets and have LM4562HA on little BrownDog adapters. If you use sockets, you can try different op-amps on for size, and you don't have to worry about damaging the chips with heat when soldering them in.

Hope that helps.

right i've found some info on soldering/desoldering opamps-seems straightforward enough,so i'm ok on that but these adapters? whats the advantage of using them? are the opamps then push-in for easy substitution?
i've found the opamps on the board c605 c606 by the HDAM circuitry surrounded by some uprated caps and found lots on ebay.read thru the thread again and i've got it sorted as to which opamps to get now.
is IC1 c605 and IC2 c606?

just tracked down the dc blocking caps.thats pretty easy just got to get me head around the seperate clock and psu next cos the HDAM bypass is pretty self explanatory.

i may go further depends really i've only got an old nad 3020 which must need re-capping[found the stuff on that looks easy it's an amp lol],going into a pir of mission 773e's and i'm not exactly in love with the sound.hopefully modding the 67se and recapping and modding the 3020 will liven things up a bit

Buy a laser from the UK. They are cheap enough here now. I'm sure I saw them for £20 on eBay. Also just measure the belt. It's a sundry part and I doubt you'll find the measurements anywhere. When I worked in the repair shop, we just laid the old belt on top of a potential replacement to see if it was suitable (unless you has a full service kit like on vcrs and tape decks!!)

The advantage of the adapters is mainly for ease of substitution as you said, so you can try a few kinds and see which you like best. It means you only have to solder those delicate PCB traces once, and then you can swap chips as many times as you like. I soldered my first replacement op-amps directly to the PCB with no problems, but then I decided to change them again and I got several lifted pads the second time.

If you buy from eBay sellers in China, check their feedback rating first. The reputable ones will often have a feedback score of hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands. If their feedback is in the low tens and their user name is alphanumeric gibberish then they could be selling fakes. I made that mistake before. If in doubt, use a reputable online store closer to home like Farnell.
................ .

Ain't necessarily so !!

Sometimes the unscrupulous vendor will pad out his feedback score by false trades with his "friends".

Some of the worst scam artists had very large scores after months.

andy

You can also look for a cheap second-hand marantz player with an original VAM 1201 drive. The cd43, cd53, cd63 and cd67 all have the same drive. I bought a defective cd43 recently for parts. Now I have an original working cd-unit and the two ribbon cables for display and drive as well, wich are easely damaged when often detached. I cleaned the cd drive and greased with molykote.

Here's a warning!!! My latest ebay nighmare!!
Picked this up for £50 this week and was looking forward to having a bit of a play.

sellerspic.jpg

sellersad.jpg

What turned up was this! BTW the seller has 799 100% feedback!!

IMG_6711.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6714.jpg

IMG_6705.jpg

IMG_6712.jpg

The seller pic is not the item he sent me! As you can see, the feet aren't original and worse still, they are not level so the player wobbles! The lid has been spray painted whilst on the player, there is overspray over the front panel which is the light stippled effect you can see on the top of the front panel. A clean-up has been attempted with white spirit (you can tell by the smell) which has resulted in faded symbols, completely removing the gold colour off the buttons and the badge isn't gold any more (it's worse than it looks in the photos!)

According to the seller, my comments are over the top!!! I told him I wouldn't have paid £20 for it, which I wouldn't.

Hi
I am sorry you feel this way, I do think you are being a little over the top as it didn't look that bad as for paying £20 I notice from your feedback you paid £70 for a broken one! however please send the item back and I will be more than happy to refund you.
Regards Tony

- minimoowoo

BTW the £70 unit I purchased was a mint 63 KI that I put a laser in to repair.

Everyone beware the sellers name is minimoowoo This is clearly intentionally deceptive in the the picture and listing. The smell would have given the game away! The seller must be blind with no sense of smell!

I'm sure I'll end up sending it back, I just don't want anyone on here to get it second bite!!! Right now, I don't see why I should even pay the return postage costs!

grrr I bloody hate eBay -I'm fast approaching the point that I'm not sure if its actually worth it!

Last edited: