Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

gy21,

I don't like to spoil a party but with those mods it's going to sound a bit thin and harsh. You'll also need a re-clock, muting transistor bypass, chassis damping and wooden feet to keep it musical - my opinion based on modding a few of them.

I would leave the HDAM and standard op-amps in - this is more musical than disabling HDAM and putting the good op-amps in. The 4562 only sound good when everything else is sorted. As a bare minimum for this I would suggest 5-10 extra voltage regulators and the chassis damping.

Just my 2p worth and I know others will strongly disagree. This is all quite system dependant so bear that in mind.

Simon

gy21,

I don't like to spoil a party but with those mods it's going to sound a bit thin and harsh. You'll also need a re-clock, muting transistor bypass, chassis damping and wooden feet to keep it musical - my opinion based on modding a few of them.

I would leave the HDAM and standard op-amps in - this is more musical than disabling HDAM and putting the good op-amps in. The 4562 only sound good when everything else is sorted. As a bare minimum for this I would suggest 5-10 extra voltage regulators and the chassis damping.

Just my 2p worth and I know others will strongly disagree. This is all quite system dependant so bear that in mind.

Simon

I didn't mention it, but i'm also going to do chasis damping and bypass the muting transistors.

I'm looking into building lm317/337 reg's, replacing the xx12's at the power supply.

You can go up to 15V, better for the LM4562 and enough voltage drop for the regs. While you are at it do the drivers reg (do it before even!), a 7808 and a 7908 with a small elcap will do fine (re-use the standard Elna you will remove when you'll fit the Cerafine or Silmic). You must also fit a 7805 at DAC. Then the LM4562
(yep Simon, I agree, I've been used the CD43 (not even HDAM'd 63!) with clocks and regs and it was far better than my previous just LM4562ized CD53!

Ray, wish you success like Brent and Lee!

Matthieu, his is a CD67 so he doesn't need to do the driver regs. As it's a CD67 it will be that bit smoother to start with, and I notice you run a Musical Fidelity amp, which is also smooth. You'll probably get a good result with the mods you've suggested in fairness.

Ok thx I was indeed a bit confused on the driver reg's. This my 2nd cd67, which I use my 2nd audio room and is not used with a musical fidelity.

My first cd67se, has audioupggrades Dos, Tentlabs clock, multiple extra regulators (no lm317/337 yet), Panasonic FC caps in several places and several smaller mods.

My 2nd cd67 (mkII) I would like to mod a bit, I liked the LM4562 wihich i previously used in the cd67se and therefor I would like to use in my 2nd cd67.

I will start by building a lm317/337 (12V) raygulator, because this is something I not yet used also in my first player and this could be an improvement to that one to.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The strangest part is that I was not modding it !!!

It has been playing normally for a long time and now... sudenly... one disc played until the last music... I opened the tray and the disc came out rotating at high speed on the drawer.... Never saw that before.

Ricardo (Very disturbed and sad :()

Hi Ricardo,
That's a sad news, but the good one is that many good fellows here to help ya!

Fast spinning and no display, sounds like decoder and µCon are off, and they use 5V... open the lid, check if the pin 1 of the µCon shows 5V.

If you have regulators with led it may be easy with open lid to check for a dedicated one to Decoder works or not.

While you are at it check the +/-12/10V of the drivers, use the fuses resistors legs to do so (bot sides to see if they are in good shape).

If any decoder problem I'll send you the former Lee's one. Or any other chip I may have on my spare (but Decoder) CD-53.

Good luck!
Matthieu

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just found the bug. Thank you both... you made it happen !

I have a small toroid with double secondary windings 2x9v feeding two independent psu´s producing +5v for decoder digital + HF amp and +5v for decoder analog.

Strangely, after more than 1 year playing, the toroid decided to retire.... It´s primary windings are open (no resistance)... That is why I got no output from the regs.

Must replace the toroid....... :)

PS:
Maybe this has something to do with last night´s mains short I did by mistake while working in another project:rolleyes:

Last edited: