Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Now I am happy....:)

After reading your comments I am now aware of the extension of Brent´s work. (Would apreciate to listen to it but I am far away).

Now for my part, just finished the sregs instalation on the servo, feeded by a dedicated psu and linked to the star gnd.

Bass boost is evident but not only in terms of quantity.... What a tight bass... and everything seems so integrated... über:cheerful:

Now I really need that clock...!!!!

Ricardo

rowemeister said:
Excellent news Ricardo.

After approx 3-5 days the components settle down and it becomes so much better in every department.

Brent

A lot of that has to do with the Black Gates, they're designed to have a constant current running. The more BG's you have, the more noticeable this gets.

My new output caps have burned in nicely now - sounding soo natural and lifelike. Nothing really grabs you, but when you concentrate on a certain sound or area, you realise just how damn good it is.

Lee.

Interesting point about the time to stabilise the caps; it's one of the three major reasons I gave up on CD63 mods. All those electrolytics make soakage and leakage currents a real headache from a sound quality, consistency and tune-carrying POV (and I can't abide 'long warm up' scenarios. It's a band-aid.)

(I moved to building thing where I could control impedances and decoupling paths, and use film cap instead to the exclusion of almost all electrolytics. I'm not going back.)

Different strokes for different folks - that what keeps this silly hobby interesting!

Brent, my FK's seemed to even out a bit after a week or two, they were really in yer face at first.

Martin, any chance you could point us in the general direction of some pages about what you've moved over to? Tbh, I'm astounded by my players sound so far & I agree elco's are not good for sound. If there's even more to get from cd, that would be awesome.

Regards, Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Servo Sregs + Star GND

The wonderfull thing about the BG is that you can hear the sound opening up with time and even while playing.

Overview

Attachments

• p1010001 (small).jpg
    p1010001 (small).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 333
Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:
I have installed a "ground lift" switch in mine so I can easily try it either connected to house earth or not.

If you permenantly connect it but get an earth loop hummm you may want to connect it via a resistor. Brent does this with something like 10R or so.

rowemeister said:
Yep I used a 27 ohm 2W resistor from star to earth on IEC socket to eliminate a small hum. The small hum was actually caused by another piece of equipment. I have a resistor on all my equipment now.
I have a 18r 1w or a 47r 2w... which one should I use ?

Too much resistance kills the effect ?

Ricardo

Simon you have had really bad hum problems and yours was actually better with the earth connected, and the problems were due to your external psus. Having a switch is not ideal if there is hum when earth is connected, this is why a resistor is needed.

I had minor hum problems with all my equipment connected to earth so I added a resistor to all my equipment. My hum problems disappeared when I disconnected my audio output from the sky box. I now have HD and an optical connection so I should be able to remove the resistors now.

Ricardo connect your cdp to earth direct with no resistor first, if you find there is some hum try as low a value resistor you can and keep raising the resistance until it goes.

The larger the resistor you use the less benefit you will get. I've heard improvements with 100ohm resistors used though.

Brent

balance problem

Hi fellows,

I've noticed a slightly unbalanced sound when playing voices which should be in center. Giving a scale of -10/0/+10 from left/center/right voices and test CDs with dedicated tracks are at +1.
First I've moved furnitures and speakers stand for hours, wasting time. I've listened with headphones to discard the amp and speakers: the same, and when playing a test CD with a test "this is the center channel" it is at +1 or -1, if turn the headphones on my head -in case it is my ears- it moves with the right speaker to the left.
Switched cables of my CableTalk Boradcast3 inteconnect: does nothing.
It is in the CDP! What can make the sound slightly more on one channel? The RCA's resistors? ( 2 bundles of 4 resistors just at the RCA? http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4200/img0105dz0.jpg ).

It is slight but real! And as usual it obsesses me! If you have any clue or way to check this...

Matthieu
(ps I don't know if I'm always clear as my english is all but perfect...)