Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Gents,
I do not understand why are you focusing on 317/337 regulators? Good at DC only these are notoriously slow and noisy when supplying currents changing at audio frequencies. Load transient spec is 3V output change min load to max load. Crickey, I use the old uA78L0xx with large output capacitors for better results.

Much better choices are found with the current generation of low drop out devices. My preference is for LT1085 or REG103 etc for low cost even tho these have been around for a while now. Load transient spec is 10mV output change min load to max load.

Or for top shelf performance try LT3081. Noise and transient specs in the microvolts. Very low output impedance to frequencies above 100k.

John

I suggest before the laser dies you may try trimming the laser voltage by adjusting the small VR at the back of the laser unit. This may sometime help to extend the laser life.

Can anyone confirm how the VR changes the laser voltage - it isn't obvious whether the resistor will increase the potential or not, turning clockwise or anticlockwise... I've swapped an original VAM1201 for a 1202, but it may not be calibrated correctly.

I have a bit of skipping and some undetected discs - I have a box set where some of the discs play and others won't. Also minor skipping problems...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Can anyone confirm how the VR changes the laser voltage - it isn't obvious whether the resistor will increase the potential or not, turning clockwise or anticlockwise... I've swapped an original VAM1201 for a 1202, but it may not be calibrated correctly.

I have a bit of skipping and some undetected discs - I have a box set where some of the discs play and others won't. Also minor skipping problems...

It doesn't... change the voltage that is. The preset alters the feedback from an inbuilt photo detector (its on the same die as the laser diode). That feedback sets the optical output of the laser (by altering the current). The only correct way to set the laser current is with a laser power meter.

If your player has problems then you need to look at rf signal on a scope as a first check and see whether that shows any problems.

Laer pickups are (should) be supplied factory set but unfortunately there are now a lot of poor quality copies around. If its a genuine Philips then do not touch the settings.

I only adjust the VR on old laser which has pick-up problem but certainly NOT on NEW LASERS. What I did was to slightly increase or decrease the VR by slightly turning it clockwise or anti-clockwise. By try and error I did save a number of almost dead laser and make them work again. Another effective means is to adjust the height of the rotating disc to increase or decrease the gap distance between the CD and the laser head. In many cases I can make the laser work again but you need to do it by try and error as well. Good Luck.

I only adjust the VR on old laser which has pick-up problem but certainly NOT on NEW LASERS. What I did was to slightly increase or decrease the VR by slightly turning it clockwise or anti-clockwise. By try and error I did save a number of almost dead laser and make them work again. Another effective means is to adjust the height of the rotating disc to increase or decrease the gap distance between the CD and the laser head. In many cases I can make the laser work again but you need to do it by try and error as well. Good Luck.

How do you adjust the height relative to the laser? I saw no obvious way to do that - the cone seems to be fixed on the motor spindle.