Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

SimontY said:

Hello!

1 - remove dc blocking caps and short the spaces with a piece of wire

2 - add an after market clock

3 - power the clock with dedicated power

4 - change the op-amps

Damn, four!! But that's the four that are needed IMO, other than the obvious mechanical changes!

I'm running on a tight budget here, so I guess it will take more time to finish the mods listed in this thread. But the HDAM & muting transistor will be on the top of the list. On removing the DC blocking caps, is it the pair at the output? When I send for profesional upgrade earlier, they have put in BGs. Should I take them out too?

Yep remove the dc blocking caps, they normally put in the red blackgate 16V 100uF N on upgrades.

Drop in a pair of LM4562 opams and add 4x 16V 220uF blackgate standard caps between them. By pass HDAM also.

For simple easy bypass work remove links U216 U217, pop in some wire from opamp side and solder other end to the legs of the rca socket. Cut out resistors R651 652 653 654.

Be warned though, bypassing HDAM before upgrading your opamps is not a good idea as it sounds very bad indeed.

Brent

Info about KIS

Hello.
Please, i would know, if is possible, these information about 63 mkII KI S:

1) R125 Value and output tension Vref on R125 in condition of stop.
2) Voltage's upside down in service mode position P03 (RADIAL ON), in these point, referring to gnd:
a) pin 6&7 Q105
b) R144 & R143
c) J03 (plug) Pin 8 Radial + during P03 service mode and in condition of stop
d) Q106 pin1

Thanks a lot

Re: Info about KIS

All busy, eh?

Anyway, i solved now.
I need only, please, the usual voltage output of PIN 22 of TDA1301, in condition of stop, and during Service Mode, P03, Radial On.
I think is possible check it at input of R137 (from pin 22 TDA1301 side)
I have only a 63 KI, so i could compare it without your help.
I would know if TDA is broken.

riccardo said:
Hello.
Please, i would know, if is possible, these information about 63 mkII KI S:

1) R125 Value and output tension Vref on R125 in condition of stop.
2) Voltage's upside down in service mode position P03 (RADIAL ON), in these point, referring to gnd:
a) pin 6&7 Q105
b) R144 & R143
c) J03 (plug) Pin 8 Radial + during P03 service mode and in condition of stop
d) Q106 pin1

Thanks a lot

Hi guy, just wanna get some clarification on replacing the muting circuit. In the list download from this thread for CD63 mod, it says that I should remove QN91/92 & U262. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have problem locating these transistors & jumper. On bypassing HDAM, is R617, R618, R620 & RH23/24 shielded in the HDAM circuitry? Just wanna make sure all these info are correct before I start the mod job.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi All

I am back from a bad trip trying to rebuild a POA6600A....:dead:
Now I can keep up with you guys to more important and interesting matters.

I want to feed the dac digital PSU with a superreg.

Should I keep RD04 (470uH/2,5R + 2 ferrites) or can I feed pin 16 directly from the sreg ?

One of my innitial modds and the one that really made a big difference was improving the servo psu lines... should I start by the servo (inputting sregs ?) or will the dac digital psu make a noticeable improvement ?

As always your comments are of the utmost importance for my experiences.

Ricardo

RCruz said:
One of my innitial modds and the one that really made a big difference was improving the servo psu lines... should I start by the servo (inputting sregs ?) or will the dac digital psu make a noticeable improvement ?

Hi Ricardo,

I find it interesting that you've noticed the importance of servo mods in the CD63/7. I found reclocking it gave huge gains.

Mine is only running off two 7805 regs (from onboard +20v) and local caps are 470uF Black Gates. Works a treat for me, but of course better regs will give even more detail and finesse.

My DAC digital also runs off an isolated 7805 and dedicated power supply. Whilst I'm sure this is very important, I don't know if it's as important as the servo lines. Brent would have a better idea as he's upgraded so many of these!

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

I find it interesting that you've noticed the importance of servo mods in the CD63/7. I found reclocking it gave huge gains.

Mine is only running off two 7805 regs (from onboard +20v) and local caps are 470uF Black Gates. Works a treat for me, but of course better regs will give even more detail and finesse.
Do use heatsinks?
SimontY said:

My DAC digital also runs off an isolated 7805 and dedicated power supply. Whilst I'm sure this is very important, I don't know if it's as important as the servo lines. Brent would have a better idea as he's upgraded so many of these!

Thank you Simon

I have one 1086 (very low dropout) and would like to try it in the servo digital psu... should I keep R122 (now 470uH/2,5R +2 ferrites "Adds more low bass power") or loose it when placing the reg ?

Is an external tx mandatory for audible improvements ?

Ricardo

RCruz said:
Do use heatsinks?

Nope, they're not needed here.

I have one 1086 (very low dropout) and would like to try it in the servo digital psu... should I keep R122 (now 470uH/2,5R +2 ferrites "Adds more low bass power") or lose it when placing the reg ??

I'd not use those things as the isolation is now not required (it's provided by using the single dedicated reg). You would possibly be reducing the effectiveness of the reg.

Is an external tx mandatory for audible improvements ?

Nope, but the more you add (each with a diode bridge and smoothing cap / psu) the better it all gets, particularly in dynamics and bass quality.

Simon