Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: A challenge ?

poynton said:
Brent,

How about writing to HiFi World to challenge DP to a head-to-head test?

Andy

I have thought of this option alot recently. I would like it to hear it compared to much dearer players.

Everyone who hears it can not believe the detail that can be heard.

I got a comment over the weekend whilst listening to Krall "Wow you can hear her open her mouth before she sings"

You can at times hear the moisture clicking on her lips (LOL) as she opens her mouth.

Brent

SimontY said:

Erm, I guess you're taking the Micheal, but it's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module I think.

Or...it's Damned Abberation: Highly Mangled. :clown:

I just get lost with all the synonyms:D

i still prefer the dam h circuit:clown:

allan

ps
lucky it wasn't a Dynamic Amplifier Module circuit only
or maybe it was, then went to the marketing dept.
and they said we have to have four letters not three:xeye:
looks better:D

awpagan said:
ps
lucky it wasn't a Dynamic Amplifier Module circuit only
or maybe it was, then went to the marketing dept.
and they said we have to have four letters not three:xeye:
looks better:D

Quite!

Marketing: So what special features are we gonna throw on the fascia?

Engineer: Well it's got a buffer and it makes it sound kinda impressive, like an expensive boom box

M: Ok, tell me more...

E: Err, well it makes it sound dynamic, so lets call it a dynamic amplifier module

M: DAM

E: DAM! That's funny..

M: Pants, we can't call it DAM

M2: Why not call it HDAM?

M: What's HDAM?

M2: I dunno yet

SimontY said:

Quite!

Marketing: So what special features are we gonna throw on the fascia?

Engineer: Well it's got a buffer and it makes it sound kinda impressive, like an expensive boom box

M: Ok, tell me more...

E: Err, well it makes it sound dynamic, so lets call it a dynamic amplifier module

M: DAM

E: DAM! That's funny..

M: Pants, we can't call it DAM

M2: Why not call it HDAM?

M: What's HDAM?

M2: I dunno yet

M: who designed the DAM circuit?

M4(tea girl): Horishi.

M's: (in unison) AHHH

allan

awpagan said:
M: who designed the DAM circuit?

M4(tea girl): Horishi.

M's: (in unison) AHHH

allan

Oh no! Funnier *and* you wasted less space on the thread!

I'm feeling bad now, I've filled pages with rubbish. I promise to add more good things soon.

I will try to finish my clock divider circuit this evening. I've added the DIP sockets into which the flipflop/sandal chip will rest and added a Ruby ZA 100uF across the 5v input and gnd and added screwdown terminals for the power, clock input and ground. I will completely copy Brent and also use a 100R resistor at the masterclock end of the coax. Pictures and impressions to follow (if it works, otherwise I'm posting it to Brent - just waiting for more things to break before doing that)... :smash:

Simon

SimontY said:

Oh no! Funnier *and* you wasted less space on the thread!

I'm feeling bad now, I've filled pages with rubbish. I promise to add more good things soon.

I will try to finish my clock divider circuit this evening. I've added the DIP sockets into which the flipflop/sandal chip will rest and added a Ruby ZA 100uF across the 5v input and gnd and added screwdown terminals for the power, clock input and ground. I will completely copy Brent and also use a 100R resistor at the masterclock end of the coax. Pictures and impressions to follow (if it works, otherwise I'm posting it to Brent - just waiting for more things to break before doing that)... :smash:

Simon

Lol.

Ill sort it no probs mate

Brent

I have made my relay muting circuit and its currently running in my spare KI.

I used a Omron Ultrasensitive (gets upset easily) G6H DPDT Relay.
5mm low profile
140mW consumption
Low magnetic interference
50 milli ohm max contact resistance

The relay and silver wire will be soldered with silver solder

It works a treat.

Attachments

• muting circuit_small.jpg
    muting circuit_small.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 384
avr300 said:
Why Rowe, the muting ?

Have you prob. with noise during normal opration. I only have a "blob" during power on and off. Nothing when track skip.

Under normal listening its fine, yes I get the dc "blob" on power up etc.

If in stop mode and turn the amp up to say 3 oclock position there is noise. That is way past the volume my speakers would run.

When is play mode there is nothing in the signal path as with transistors so I don't get any problems, it just mutes when turned on and off or in stop and pause modes.

The relay and circuit switches really fast and there is no loss of audio as it switches either

Im just trying to make it as pro as possible and relay muting is used in high end players.

Brent

Samuel Jayaraj said:
Has anyone been able to compare the sound of a Marantz CD63SE (modded) to a stock NAD 542 or even modded and which do you say sounds better?

I started a thread to find the answer but have found none so far.

Thanks.

Its not really an easy question to answer. It all depends how modified each player is.

I have modded 63SE and they sound every bit as good as a CD17KI.

I am not familiar with the NAD player.

Brent